Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever)
Quote | Reply
See title.

Here's my sweet/sappy one - this is how I learned how to draft in a pool.

As I was getting to be a better swimmer in my late teens, I trained with two masters guys. I was closing in on cracking 6 for a 500 free and hadn't quite managed it yet. One morning we were doing 3 x 500 desc. I was busily NOT descending much, and one of the guys - we'll call him M, who was probably doing these in 5:30s ish - must've noticed I did something like 6:03, 6:02, and on the last one - we were splitting the lane - started staying super close to me, just a bit in front.

I was new enough to swimming with people who knew what they were doing (that is, not my HS team/coach) that I didn't know what drafting was. I didn't know why M was swimming at an easy pace when we were supposed to be descending; I figured he'd drop me after 100 yards but nope, still totally with me. At 200 yards I went from curious to annoyed and decided I'd drop him. That didn't work; he picked it up to stay just in front of me. I was too annoyed to be watching splits.

At 400, I was looking forward to angrily asking why on earth he couldn't stay more on his side of the lane. Obviously, that feeling dissipated when I touched in 5:59.

It remains one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me in swim training. I hope to have the opportunity to help another swimmer out like that sometime.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 15, 24 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great story.

I was swimming laps, and all the other lanes were empty. At the end of my lane, I had my kick board, fins, buoy, extra goggles, etc...

As I turn to my side to breathe, I catch a glimpse of a tall, thin (but muscular) young man walking towards the lanes. As I reach the end of my lane, he is standing over my lane like he is about to hop in. Of course, with all the other lanes empty, I thought "WTH, why doesn't he use one of the other lanes?!?!?". But, I also figured I'm not going to let this ruin my workout, so I kept swimming.

I do my flip turn, at the other end, and as I approach the end where I spotted him above my lane, I can see a pair of legs (his) in the water (in my lane). As I get closer, I can also see that he has on my flippers, and my pool buoy between his legs. At this point, I am getting pissed. It gets worse when I pop up out of the water and see that he is also wearing my extra googles.

Right before I say anything to him, he looks at me, and with the softest voice says "you wanna race?". I didn't know what to think, but I could tell by the way he spoke that he meant no harm in what he was doing. His mom then came into the pool area and saw us standing there. She explained he had a brain injury......it's been awhile but I believe that's what he had..........and basically functions at the level of a child (even though he was around 20). She said he loves the water and loves being around other people. She also apologized to me but I told her "there's no need to apologize. If he wants to race, we can race". So, I got in the other lane beside him, his mom did a countdown, and then we "raced". He couldn't swim very well but I made sure he won going both directions. He was very excited. After our "race", his mom whispered "thank you" to me and then she took him to the outdoor pool where people were not lap swimming.

That was a good day.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On three different occasions I bonked heads with swimmers going the other way on the IM swim course in Kona. No the course wasn't busy at all. I was alone and so were they.

Heard a guy struggle-grunting behind me once. Thought to myself bro slow down. He passed me. It was Andy Potts.

A wild rabbit almost crashed me once. Was so so close. Me in ER and the little bugger decapitated by the wheel spokes was a matter of less than a second. Luckily we both went home that day.

Many years ago when e-bikes didn't really exist I was climbing a local hill, redlined going all out, when a teen sitting upright on a casual bike passed me like I was standing still. Something big was attached to the frame and a hum of an electric motor could be heard. Home-made electric bike.

Edit: in the same vein of Dr OP: was sharing a lane with an 8 year old asian kid. He was way way faster than me. Nevertheless his dad was by the poolside yelling in Mandarin. I don't speak Mandarin but I knew what he was saying: go faster! Finally dad said in perfect English: go faster or no dessert.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Feb 15, 24 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's a great story.

I was swimming laps, and all the other lanes were empty. At the end of my lane, I had my kick board, fins, buoy, extra goggles, etc...

As I turn to my side to breathe, I catch a glimpse of a tall, thin (but muscular) young man walking towards the lanes. As I reach the end of my lane, he is standing over my lane like he is about to hop in. Of course, with all the other lanes empty, I thought "WTH, why doesn't he use one of the other lanes?!?!?". But, I also figured I'm not going to let this ruin my workout, so I kept swimming.

I do my flip turn, at the other end, and as I approach the end where I spotted him above my lane, I can see a pair of legs (his) in the water (in my lane). As I get closer, I can also see that he has on my flippers, and my pool buoy between his legs. At this point, I am getting pissed. It gets worse when I pop up out of the water and see that he is also wearing my extra googles.

Right before I say anything to him, he looks at me, and with the softest voice says "you wanna race?". I didn't know what to think, but I could tell by the way he spoke that he meant no harm in what he was doing. His mom then came into the pool area and saw us standing there. She explained he had a brain injury......it's been awhile but I believe that's what he had..........and basically functions at the level of a child (even though he was around 20). She said he loves the water and loves being around other people. She also apologized to me but I told her "there's no need to apologize. If he wants to race, we can race". So, I got in the other lane beside him, his mom did a countdown, and then we "raced". He couldn't swim very well but I made sure he won going both directions. He was very excited. After our "race", his mom whispered "thank you" to me and then she took him to the outdoor pool where people were not lap swimming.

That was a good day.

Oh, I like this story a lot. Thanks for sharing.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On three different occasions I bonked heads with swimmers going the other way on the IM swim course in Kona. No the course wasn't busy at all. I was alone and so were they.

Logistic question: I've tangled arms with other swimmers, but stroke-wise it seems hard to hit heads because there's basically always an arm out in front of one's head. How does this work?

Quote:
A wild rabbit almost crashed me once.
You're lucky you didn't run into the Killer Bunny. You'd be dead and he'd be alive!

Quote:
Edit: in the same vein of Dr OP: was sharing a lane with an 8 year old asian kid. He was way way faster than me. Nevertheless his dad was by the poolside yelling in Mandarin. I don't speak Mandarin but I knew what he was saying: go faster! Finally dad said in perfect English: go faster or no dessert.

oh man! I'd say poor kid but I do the same - my earliest memory is baby swim lessons, which entailed swim lesson followed by a choc glazed Dunkin Munchkin. To this day that is what I crave after swimming, so mine is "go faster or no munchkin." :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
That's a great story.

That was a good day.

That's a really cool story. I like hearing these types of stories to make us check ourselves and what simple things we can do to help others. I'm sure that Mom will not forget that day, hopefully the "kid" doesn't either.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
That's a great story.

That was a good day.

That's a really cool story. I like hearing these types of stories to make us check ourselves and what simple things we can do to help others. I'm sure that Mom will not forget that day, hopefully the "kid" doesn't either.

Thank you.

That encounter reminded me of a non-athletic related encounter I had earlier in my medical career. A young lady, probably mid 20s, with cerebral palsy was sent to me for evaluation. She was very difficult to examine but I was able to get it done and then speak with her mom. As they were leaving, the mom says ‘thank you for being nice and patient with my child. So many others act so frustrated dealing with her but she’s doing the best she canâ€. Those words about broke my heart. To this mom, this young lady was the most important thing in the world to her, and to think that others may have been harsh to either one of them was just sad. I try to remember that whenever I’m interacting with people/patients.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coaching Team in Training…

Took out all the lane lines, put friends/family in inner tubes and coaches in the water with pool noodles, and basically tried to recreate the clif bar swim ad…

Had a crapton of fun and all the athletes said later that, after that training, an OWS swim start wasn’t that bad. Mix of 70.3 Galveston and Oly Hawaii and they all finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
That's a great story.

That was a good day.

That's a GREAT story. You should tell that story to anyone and everyone you meet.
I am pretty sure that is also what the 8 year olds do when I have to swim in their lanes. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was merrily thrashing and flopping my way through a swim workout one day at a resort in Pennsylvania.

I looked over two lanes and saw a mermaid swimming effortlessly and perfectly up and down the pool. I gazed in amazement at just how well this person swam.

After the workout, I went up to her and her partner and we talked for a while. I don't want to say her name since I don't really know her and what type of publicity she likes, but she won two Olympic gold medals in swimming!

I have seen perfection in swimming.

My swimming technique hasn't really improved however!

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have more "I sh*t my pants" stories then I care to mention but I'll share this one.

For context me and my brother both share very similar bowels and it's become a joke at this point between the 2 of us.

I was out for a run a years ago in my parents neighborhood. I was about a mile away when I felt the first grumble. This is a pretty densely populated neighborhood. Not a lot of cover or places to hide if I really needed to pitch one off in a bush. I tried to make it back to house, but about a block away I lost the battle. Defeated I made it back home. Cleaned up and called my brother because someone might as well laugh at my pain. He answered the phone and all I could hear was a bunch of laughter in the background. He goes on to tell me he's on a golf course and 5 minutes prior he had also just had an "incident". The laughter in the background were is friends. He then proceeds to put me on speaker so I can tell all of them that we were simultaneously were crapping out pants. We all had a good laugh about it because what else is there to do?

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a thread about bowel movements during runs that has some of the best stories (not feel good but rotflol stories) this is from @bryan d back in 2015 page 2 and is the single best story in the thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._mid_run_P5580857-2/

BryanD Jun 11, 15 9:59 Post #44 of 392
I remember the day this happened to me. I will never forget it.

I had eaten Mexican food before my run. I was only planning on doing 6 miles. The lake near my house has a nice paved 3 mile run loop through the woods. The first mile I felt fine. The second mile, I could feel some gas building up. The trail is saturated with people. By people, I mean lots of women and a few men. A 10:1 ratio almost. A lot of these girls went to the same university I did. Here I am at mile 2 and the bathroom is located at mile 3. My stomach is furious. It was unhappy that I had given it such delicious Mexican food and then I bounced it around for 2 miles.

I felt such an intense pressure in my bowels. I tried to fart it out. It was such a huge pressure relief. Trying to fart while running around a bunch of girls and moms is not an easy process. Stealth farts only work for a bit.

The pressure is now gone. I'm jogging again and suddenly my stomach just punches me hard and goes, yep, it's time for you to take one massive shit. I was terrified. I'm at mile 2 with 1 mile to go. There's people everywhere.

My first thought is jump in the lake and just let it out. But then, that would look weird. People would be wondering why this random guy is in the lake. I tried to walk. Have you ever tried to walk while holding back a massive flood of shit? I looked awful walking and the looks people gave me let me know they knew. They could see the terror in my eyes.

I was looking for my girlfriend. I was hoping she wouldn't find me in such a bad situation. I tried farting to relieve some pressure and felt some slippage. Fear turned to panic. I knew I wouldn't make it.

I stopped walking and stood looking at the lake. My stomach was making horrible noises and I was in pain. People were passing me oblivious to the shit storm that was coming.

Then, I saw the tree. THE TREE. The one tree that would save me. I walked fast up to this glorious, wonderful tree and it looked big enough to shield me from the runners. I had a quick decision to make. Do I unload on this poor tree or keep walking and hope for the best? I timed it just right. There weren't any runners around me that would hear the coming battle between me and my stomach.

As the pain hit me again, I dropped my running shorts and destroyed that tree. I heard people coming and thought "Why me, why today, of all places"? I was terrified someone would see and recognize me in such a vulnerable state. I unleashed everything I had on that poor tree as fast as possible. Then, I looked up and saw the people in the house in front of the tree.

I couldn't tell if they were looking at me or if they even saw me. I mean, it's pretty hard to miss a guy in a white running shirt with black shorts just shitting on your tree in your yard. I felt amazing. I pulled my shorts up, covered up the giant pile of poo with leaves and sticks and jumped back on the trail which was literally 3 feet away.

All is good I thought. I figured I had ruined my running shorts and that people could smell the horrible leftovers that may have skidmarked my shorts. My strategy was to run as far to the left and right as possible of any person I came around on the trail. I would give them at least 2 feet in hopes that wouldn't smell me. I'm sure I looked ridiculous as I ran off and on the trail trying desperately to find my girlfriend and get to my car.

I'm now about 0.25 miles away from the poor tree that was left to suffer. I was happy, carefree, and laughing on the inside about what happened. At that very moment, my stomach said HELLO AGAIN, IT'S TIME TO FIGHT!

That's when fear turned to panic once again as this pain told me that I had seconds to find another tree. I was sweating bad. This train of poo was coming, and it was coming fast.

I saw 2 guys and 2 girls grilling out on their back porch. I said to myself, "well, you have already pooed on tree on a public trail in front of someones house", "go ask to use their bathroom"

So I ran up to them trying to hold back the poo train. I said "Hi, my names Bryan, and I have to shit really bad. I just shit on a tree in front of someone's house about 3 minutes ago. Can I please use your bathroom or I'm going to jump in the lake."

The guy looked at me confused at first and the women were horrified. He goes "quick, this way." He ran to his bathroom and showed me the way. It was the most beautiful toilet I have ever seen in my life.

The guys dog chased me to the bathroom and was clawing at the door. I heard him growling and sniffing as the poo train left the station rapidly. I'm pretty sure that toilet will never be the same again. The dog took one big sniff and he ran away outside. Dog problem solved! I finished up and went back outside and told them "thank you for letting me destroy your toilet. I'm pretty sure the Hazmat team should be called and FEMA might call this a disaster zone. Please don't go in there for a bit, even the dog couldn't handle it" They laughed so hard, shook my hand, and now after the 2nd most awkward moment of my day, I jogged back to the trail with a fresh, clean butthole.

I found my girlfriend at the 3 mile mark. She goes "Where are you, I've been looking for you". I said, "We need to leave, RIGHT NOW!"She was confused and we jogged to the car. We get inside the car and she said "What's wrong, why did we have to leave so quick" I then explained to her the 2 Code Brown situations and how we must leave immediately.

She laughed so hard and I told her we would never again speak of that day again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now that this thread has taken a turn from the sappy to the crappy, here is my all time funniest story in the latter's genre.

Back in my lifeguard days, I raced in a craft called a dory. It was a two man row boat that had cutouts to release any water taken on board by waves. The ironman race in the annual series was the Catalina channel crossing, about 26 miles. And these things were not fast either, tug boats really as compared to a surfski or paddle board, races taking about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. So you have to eat and drink a lot, which is easy to keep in the boat, no support crews.

So my partner and I were about 20 miles into the race and fighting for the podium with another boat off to our starboard. I rowed in the stern(front of boat) and had been holding back a very persistent bowel urge. Just didnt want to let the boat next to us get an advantage so close to the finish. But as nature would have it, I had to go. So my partner kept rowing while I pulled down my shorts, and sat on the stern rail with my butt over the edge. Now about the stern on these boats, it is a big cutout and exposed as a window.

So as I let it fly on the #2, my #1 also let go with all the pressure of a fire hose. SO while my partner got to see what was releasing from my bowels, he was also getting hosed by my young mans stream. He completely lost it and had to stop rowing, like being front row at an Eddy Murphy stand up. It was too much for me, even though I was the subject of the hilarity, and I began to crack up.

And as to the race for the podium at hand, I looked over at our competitors and they were dead in the water laughing uncontrollably, so it ended up as a laugh riot pit stop. My rowing buddy just recently died from an insidious cancer, but he would often tell that story from his perspective, and it would crack us up all over again, deep belly laughs that are just so rare these days. RIP my friend, a memory you will live in forever in my hard drive...
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kipstar wrote:
There is a thread about bowel movements during runs that has some of the best stories (not feel good but rotflol stories) this is from @bryan d back in 2015 page 2 and is the single best story in the thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._mid_run_P5580857-2/

BryanD Jun 11, 15 9:59 Post #44 of 392
I remember the day this happened to me. I will never forget it.

I had eaten Mexican food before my run. I was only planning on doing 6 miles. The lake near my house has a nice paved 3 mile run loop through the woods. The first mile I felt fine. The second mile, I could feel some gas building up. The trail is saturated with people. By people, I mean lots of women and a few men. A 10:1 ratio almost. A lot of these girls went to the same university I did. Here I am at mile 2 and the bathroom is located at mile 3. My stomach is furious. It was unhappy that I had given it such delicious Mexican food and then I bounced it around for 2 miles.

I felt such an intense pressure in my bowels. I tried to fart it out. It was such a huge pressure relief. Trying to fart while running around a bunch of girls and moms is not an easy process. Stealth farts only work for a bit.

The pressure is now gone. I'm jogging again and suddenly my stomach just punches me hard and goes, yep, it's time for you to take one massive shit. I was terrified. I'm at mile 2 with 1 mile to go. There's people everywhere.

My first thought is jump in the lake and just let it out. But then, that would look weird. People would be wondering why this random guy is in the lake. I tried to walk. Have you ever tried to walk while holding back a massive flood of shit? I looked awful walking and the looks people gave me let me know they knew. They could see the terror in my eyes.

I was looking for my girlfriend. I was hoping she wouldn't find me in such a bad situation. I tried farting to relieve some pressure and felt some slippage. Fear turned to panic. I knew I wouldn't make it.

I stopped walking and stood looking at the lake. My stomach was making horrible noises and I was in pain. People were passing me oblivious to the shit storm that was coming.

Then, I saw the tree. THE TREE. The one tree that would save me. I walked fast up to this glorious, wonderful tree and it looked big enough to shield me from the runners. I had a quick decision to make. Do I unload on this poor tree or keep walking and hope for the best? I timed it just right. There weren't any runners around me that would hear the coming battle between me and my stomach.

As the pain hit me again, I dropped my running shorts and destroyed that tree. I heard people coming and thought "Why me, why today, of all places"? I was terrified someone would see and recognize me in such a vulnerable state. I unleashed everything I had on that poor tree as fast as possible. Then, I looked up and saw the people in the house in front of the tree.

I couldn't tell if they were looking at me or if they even saw me. I mean, it's pretty hard to miss a guy in a white running shirt with black shorts just shitting on your tree in your yard. I felt amazing. I pulled my shorts up, covered up the giant pile of poo with leaves and sticks and jumped back on the trail which was literally 3 feet away.

All is good I thought. I figured I had ruined my running shorts and that people could smell the horrible leftovers that may have skidmarked my shorts. My strategy was to run as far to the left and right as possible of any person I came around on the trail. I would give them at least 2 feet in hopes that wouldn't smell me. I'm sure I looked ridiculous as I ran off and on the trail trying desperately to find my girlfriend and get to my car.

I'm now about 0.25 miles away from the poor tree that was left to suffer. I was happy, carefree, and laughing on the inside about what happened. At that very moment, my stomach said HELLO AGAIN, IT'S TIME TO FIGHT!

That's when fear turned to panic once again as this pain told me that I had seconds to find another tree. I was sweating bad. This train of poo was coming, and it was coming fast.

I saw 2 guys and 2 girls grilling out on their back porch. I said to myself, "well, you have already pooed on tree on a public trail in front of someones house", "go ask to use their bathroom"

So I ran up to them trying to hold back the poo train. I said "Hi, my names Bryan, and I have to shit really bad. I just shit on a tree in front of someone's house about 3 minutes ago. Can I please use your bathroom or I'm going to jump in the lake."

The guy looked at me confused at first and the women were horrified. He goes "quick, this way." He ran to his bathroom and showed me the way. It was the most beautiful toilet I have ever seen in my life.

The guys dog chased me to the bathroom and was clawing at the door. I heard him growling and sniffing as the poo train left the station rapidly. I'm pretty sure that toilet will never be the same again. The dog took one big sniff and he ran away outside. Dog problem solved! I finished up and went back outside and told them "thank you for letting me destroy your toilet. I'm pretty sure the Hazmat team should be called and FEMA might call this a disaster zone. Please don't go in there for a bit, even the dog couldn't handle it" They laughed so hard, shook my hand, and now after the 2nd most awkward moment of my day, I jogged back to the trail with a fresh, clean butthole.

I found my girlfriend at the 3 mile mark. She goes "Where are you, I've been looking for you". I said, "We need to leave, RIGHT NOW!"She was confused and we jogged to the car. We get inside the car and she said "What's wrong, why did we have to leave so quick" I then explained to her the 2 Code Brown situations and how we must leave immediately.

She laughed so hard and I told her we would never again speak of that day again.

I agree! I have read and reread this post so many times. Each time I laugh so hard I have tears streaming down my face.

This is a must read for anyone-especially if they are having a bad day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really funny, sappy or sweet. Just a couple times on some shorter tri courses I've peed myself. I mean fully on filled my shoes peed. Just wanted to let a little out but once I started my bladder just said, "OK, here we go!"

Never had a sh*t my pants moment but went on a short training run last week and couple times I had to stop and clench to keep it from happening. Kind of distressing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my "fun" stories are posted all around here, and some have been told & retold far too often

That being said, and though having no specific stories to tell, working a volunteer tent at a charity ride can be quite fulfilling, especially at the end of the day, as the "Tail Of The Draggin'" is coming through with people who have given all they got, pedaling 150 or 175 miles over two days riding down the Shore and back (75 or 100 on Saturday, then 75 back on Sunday)

The first time my daughter came along with me to our tent, it was as a "community service requirement" for Honor Society. She balked at the idea at first, and sort of grumbled when we got there ("I don't know anyone here" "I don't know what to do") but once she got the first "thank you, so much" her attitude completely changed, and she became an eager volunteer ever since

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 19, 24 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*In Champaign-Urbana, Il, a very large ranch-like property on a well-bike-traveled road on the way out of town had a pretty loud and unnerving handful of pets who would chase you across the long property.

Being a few miles from where most of us live, my friends (who are probably on this site somewhere) dubbed them "The Three Mile Dogs."

*This is not a story and not my story :-), but that moniker is one of my favorite training things of all time.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
*In Champaign-Urbana, Il, a very large ranch-like property on a well-bike-traveled road on the way out of town had a pretty loud and unnerving handful of pets who would chase you across the long property.

Being a few miles from where most of us live, my friends (who are probably on this site somewhere) dubbed them "The Three Mile Dogs."

I like this story!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running along. Oblivious to my surroundings.
A stupid fantasy playing out in my mind:

"I am going to dress up like the grim reaper.
I am going to enter in a half marathon.
I am going to start 20 minutes late.
I am going to come up behind people and let out a scream..
YES- a terrifying grim reaper scream."

"But what would a grim reaper scream sound like?"

LIKE THIS!!!!!!"

I let out a loud terrifying scream.
I am startled by myself.
"Why would I actually do that?"

I am also surprised
"Yes, that is truly terrifying!!!"

About 60 yards ahead of me, on the sidewalk is a family- a mother, father and three small children.
Very wholesome.
Out for a walk together.

Also, now, terrified.
The father and the three kids all dive off the sidewalk into a yard/hedge.
The mother looks ready to fight.

I am super embarrassed.
I run across the street. And keep running along.
"Best not go to close. Don't want to get maced!"

I am trying to pretend it didn't happen, as I pass them.
I avoid eye contact.

"Sorry" - I yell. Quieter.

I keep running even though I pass the turn to o my street.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Reaper doesn't scream --- just whispers; which can be more terrifying, really

"Come with me. It is time"

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The Reaper doesn't scream --- just whispers; which can be more terrifying, really

"Come with me. It is time"

I don't know if you have read that book the Stranger by Camus.

The main character kills an Arab for no apparent reason. (The original Arab Killing).
Random.

My scream felt pretty random.

It's fortunate that all I did was let forth a scream.

I saw the film The Seventh Seal not long ago.

Death says....
"I am unknowning"

Random + Unknowable

Maybe, I was the Grim Reaper, at that moment.

Maybe, my voice was a whisper in sone neighboring house.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only did I read it, I read it in the original French (Honors Student in HS)

"Random + Unknowable" - you could add in Thanos's "Inevitable?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems this thread tilted towards the "shit your pants" side of things.

Here's one (on the non pant shitting end) - which isn't entirely training or racing.

While nursing an injury a few years back, I did some volunteering at local running races. It was my time to contribute. One of the races was a point to point 1/2 marathon which was on a paved rail trail. I was manning one of the spots where the trail crossed a road (less than a mile from the finish). There was barely any traffic on the road, so my main job was cheering on runners and letting them know they were close to the finish. Once of the runners towards the back end of the race was struggling mightily when he made it to my zone. I tried my best to give him a boost, but he didn't look so good. We kept an eye on him as he continued, and may 50-100 feet from my spot, he stopped and slumped down onto a wooden guardrail. A few of us booked down to him and it became immediately clear that he needed medical attention. We called 911 and once the EMT's were on scene, I called the race directors to let them know (+ provide his bib number and such so they could call his family).

A week after that event, the race director called me to provide a follow up. That runner had a major blockage in one of his arteries, and he wound up getting a med flight over to a hospital that could handle the emergency surgery. The procedure was a success, and his family was grateful that we were there to get him help.

A year or two later, I was back to running, and one of the race directors (that also handled the 1/2 marathon where I volunteered), called me over. The runner who we helped out at that past race was at this one volunteering, and he wanted to shake hands and wish me well. Luckily, he didn't need to return the favor and call an ambulance for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volunteering is a crucial component of racing that too many people miss out on/overlook/ignore

Also, a great wealth of content to be found

"Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories"

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me a good training story (a sweet/sappy one, a funny one, a sh*t your pants on a run one, whatever) [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The runner who we helped out at that past race was at this one volunteering, and he wanted to shake hands and wish me well. Luckily, he didn't need to return the favor and call an ambulance for me.

excellent story.

Good on you for volunteering - agree w another poster, most of us (self included) probably dont' do enough of that

Quote Reply

Prev Next