Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell Me about Omega's 3,6,9??
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a brand or type? What is the difference? Is it worth it?

I dont eat fish and think that I should start supplementing fish oils/fats into my diet. I take a multi everyday but thats it.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me about Omega's 3,6,9?? [TriMatt18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take the whole foods "fish oil" - is it better than anything else, I have no idea.

Our processed food doesn't contain much nutritional value so that is why we must get it elsewhere. I like to get omega 3 fortified organic eggs, if I eat those for breakfast then I won't take the pill.

I have also read studies saying you also have to worry about your omega 3:omega 9 ratio. So a significantly lobsided ratio could maintain deficiencies so I would look into that as well.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me about Omega's 3,6,9?? [TriMatt18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omega-6 FA (fatty acids) are ubiquitous in the foods we eat and are not something you need to really focus on as far as supplementation of them. However, Omega-3 FA are found, as others have mentioned, in Flax Seed (oil is more concentrated form) or even better in the fat of fish (the best source).

0-6 and 0-3 FA's vie for position on the cellular membranes of cells with most being 0-6. Now, studies have shown (sorry do not have the specific literature as we speak) that if one ingests more 0-3 FA's they can and do replace the 0-6 FA's on the membrane. Why would one want to replace the 0-6 with 0-3? In Short, 0-6 FA's are pro-inflammatory and 0-3 are anti-inflammatory. Meaning, the derivatives of 0-3 actually act to decrease inflammation and the opposite is true for 0-6.

If you want to read some more information on them refer to this link:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/...cidsandHealth.asp#h3

To answer your ? about which one to buy, look for the one with the highest concentrations of EPA and DHA available.

ERIK

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply