Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution
Quote | Reply
Looking for a way to shower after a run or bike. I've looked at some of the camping showers but wanted to see insight prior to purchasing. I'm certain some of you have super simple setups, others more elaborate.

Thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use a brick of baby wipes from Costco to wipe down. Fresh as a daisy and back at work in no time.

That said, I have really short hair, so I don't need to wash it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
I just use a brick of baby wipes from Costco to wipe down. Fresh as a daisy and back at work in no time.

Does this really work? I sweat like crazy and doubt I wouldn't still stink?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Kickr wrote:

Does this really work? I sweat like crazy and doubt I wouldn't still stink?

It works well enough for me that nobody has ever made a comment. I'm not a crazy heavy sweater, but I find if I use 3-5 wipes, plus deodorant, I smell just about perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of running through sprinklers, when available

Also, I work from home, so there's always a shower right here, sorry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a very heavy sweater too.
  • Small Towel
  • Baby Wipes
  • Dry Shampoo
  • Scented Lotion
  • Deodorant
  • Cologne
  • Comb

Back to work.

Bonus: It all fits in a small back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chamois Butt'r makes a wash up lotion. It is an alcohol based liquid you can squirt on a clean wash cloth and use it to clean up. I find it works better than baby wipes and helps to really get 1. any salt/sweat off and 2. the alcohol helps to cool me down and stop the sweating as it evaporates. I have short hair, so I don't have to deal with that much, i think dry shampoo though is probably good if you've got longer hair that needs it.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:

I'm similar with short hair. Most times I just try off with a towel and use some more deodorant but I also don't work in a cube-farm and really close to people. On my shop floor it pretty wide open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Costco baby wipes as well. The wipes remove grime but do little to stop the sweating. I'll also use a small towel or washcloth to refresh my face with cold water. The big issue is continuing to sweat. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out bigkahunashowers.com. I use it after surfing and it works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worked out at lunch without a shower for years. I'm a guy, and never had a problem. (Meaning my method should work for men, but not sure with women!)

People really, really overthink the need for the shower. Just take a shower in the morning, then do you workout at lunch, and then have a good cooldown period where you can stop sweating after it, and then just use a normal towel to wipe down the rest of the sweat. Go to a normal bathroom and just wash your face, head, and neck. Towel off again, change. If you want to go the extra mile, use deodorant that you like before and/or after. f you don't have immediate access to a bathroom after the run, just cooldown outdoors, change (somehow, ?car), and use the bathroom to wash off later, there is no rush.

Seriously, it's not a problem at all. I work in a 'professional dress' place where a tie would be appropriate and casual clothes are never appropriate, as well.

Forget all those wipes, parking lot showers, and fancy solutions. It's literally AM shower, towel, wash face-neck, change. I

The most helpful thing to have is a location where you can change. Obviously any bathroom will work, but it's more pleasant when you have a lockable office so you're not dealing with putting clothes on questionably clean surfaces.

I even bike commute 1-2x/week (full sweat), still have no problems with this despite commute-lunch run-commute. And my workout for today's luncn will be 5 x 5' as hard as possible (near-VO2max) alternating 3x' off, total 1 hr running, in close to 90F heat when the sun is factored in. It's gonna be a sweatfast.
Last edited by: lightheir: May 4, 21 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t use it for parking lot showers but I really like my Nemo shower for rafting trips.

The pressure pump makes it easy to use.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/helio-lx/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use baby wipes, but with a couple variations. I fill up my water bottle with cold water before my lunch run, then douse the baby wipes with the cool water prior to wiping down. This helps me to cool down more quickly and probably helps to remove more of the bacteria from my skin than a regular baby wipe. I have a small fan that I put on my desk for after I'm all cleaned up to help me cool down as well. In addition to deodorant, I use some body spray to cover any lingering odor. Lastly, I chug some cold water to cool down from the inside out.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a heavy sweater and have been working out at lunch for 20+ years. I no longer have access to a shower so I go to the bathroom with a large wet towel, wiping all over and a small dry one to dry off. The key is getting your core temp down quickly so you don't sweat right through your work clothes. As soon as I walk in from my workout I down as much cold water as I can stand, grab my bag and go to the bathroom for my routine. When I come back in, I again drink as much cold water as I can stand. This seems to help a lot compared to just sitting down at the desk and hoping to cool off with just a/c. Short hair helps too.

good luck

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what everyone else has said, but get some Gold Bond for down south too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a Mobi V15 bike pressure washer from Chain Reaction. Done quite a few parking lot showers, after road rides and MTB. Crank truck up and turn on AC since I’m in FL, so it’s cool for the ride. Easy and quick shower, feels great to be clean after. One tankful does whole body plus. Towel off, deck change outside car, take off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used dude wipes with good success. I have used those after races before the drive home if I can’t get a shower in the hotel. So probably a lot worse smelling and have more than just sweat on me and they work well.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? What kind of car do you drive?

I live in Arizona. It's hard to get my core temp down in the hot months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:

Same. I use combat wipes for lunch runs. Works really well.

Or used to use them. Been work from home for 14 months now. Don't miss the office one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in the southeast I can tell you that I couldn't skip the shower. When the weather is 90+ and the humidity is 90+ you won't stop sweating without another option to cool down. Well, with enough time, and AC obviously you would.

I use a spray bottle like this:
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/021709/021709022483.jpg?size=pdhi

and a poncho towel like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088BMBGGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will remove my shirt and use the spray bottle and start at my head with a small wash cloth and just spray until I am dripping wet and use the cloth to clean as I go. Once I have the upper body clean and I have cooled down enough I will put on the changing poncho and drop the shorts and use the spray bottle to continue cleaning from the waist down. I have a XXL poncho so there is lots of room to maneuver inside the poncho with the spray bottle. The poncho itself will act like a towel and also allows me to get dressed.

On very hot days I am not afraid of sitting in my car in my poncho until the AC brings my core temp down far enough to feel I can dress appropriately. I don't do lunch rides but I use this technique every Saturday so that I can bike or run in the morning and change for errands after.

I have a coworker that does a lot of windsurfing. He mounted one of these in his truck and replaced the sprayer head with a shower head. I think this may be be one of the top solutions, but not the cheapest.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624833_200624833

Last edited by: redbicycle: May 6, 21 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Order a Rinsekit and keep it in your car. Problem solved. Note: buy the Rinsekit plus, not the pod.
Last edited by: Nerd: May 6, 21 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Your Lunch Workout - Parking Lot Shower Solution [redbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you guys living in hot temps still don't need all that gear.

You DO need to cool down though, or else you will keep sweating, even if you shower, so you may have to allocate extra time for car cooling or even driving to cooled shopping area to walk/sit.

ONce you're not sweating like a hog, a measly towel, not even wet, will suffice, as I mentioned before. Just make sure you've showered in the morning beforehand.

I think those shower contraption devices are pretty cool and are def useful for dirtier sports like mudbiking but are total overkill for triathlon lunch sweat training where the only part of getting dirty is sweating, and that only stinks if you have too much bacteria on your skin for too long - the morning shower takes care of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
Looking for a way to shower after a run or bike. I've looked at some of the camping showers but wanted to see insight prior to purchasing. I'm certain some of you have super simple setups, others more elaborate.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been a remote worker for years but used to work in office environments. My last couple jobs had shower facilities. One job was at a coffee manufacturing plant where there were locker rooms and showers for production workers. I used them at lunch after running. The production ladies thought I was nuts running in the middle of winter but found me amusing. Then in the spring more office workers would use the locker room/shower for running as well so it became normal in the warmer months. I once had a job where a small gym was a short walk down the road from my office. It was cheap and I signed up to use the weights and showers for after a run. Added about 5-10 minutes walking to and from the office but worth it. There was a guy in a close by cubicle who didn't shower after running. It was not pleasant to say the least.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Showerpill Body Wipes- https://www.amazon.com/...lution/dp/B0061QL8EE

Thicker, wetter, and larger than baby wipes and you only need to use one. Downside is they cost a bit more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next