Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches
Quote | Reply
My kid is a decent high school swimmer. He wants to use driveway-shoveling money to buy a race suit, his coach says go for it.

Any feedback on the Tyr menā€™s Avictor Prelude jammer? It is deeply discounted on Swim Outlet and that is the one heā€™s thinking of.

I have no interest in finding the swimming version of Letā€™s Run - I trust the collective expertise here.

Thoughts? Tips?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
My kid is a decent high school swimmer. He wants to use driveway-shoveling money to buy a race suit, his coach says go for it.

Any feedback on the Tyr menā€™s Avictor Prelude jammer? It is deeply discounted on Swim Outlet and that is the one heā€™s thinking of.

I have no interest in finding the swimming version of Letā€™s Run - I trust the collective expertise here.

Thoughts? Tips?

How old, and what kind of cuts? What strokes does he swim?

The avictor is a very good suit. Much of the differences between tech suits are down to personal preferemce, event distance and strokes. Eg spinners tend to prefer more compression. Breaststrokers and IMers will favour more flexibility than free/fly/backdtrokers. Best option is to try a suit , then try a different one next time based off how the first one feels. Does he want more compression, etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15, sophomore, most competitive currently at the 50/100. May have potential in the fly.

I havenā€™t looked at cuts this year. Heā€™s in the :24/ :57 range currently, which is about where he ended the season last year. Decent, especially for someone who does more soccer than swimming, but not states-level (yet). I donā€™t think, at least.

Heā€™s a relatively large kid - 6ā€™3ā€, 210. Normally wears a 34, planning to order that for the tech suit as well.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a high school swim coach. When in doubt I always lean my kids towards to the LZR pro. Great all around suit. https://m.swimoutlet.com/...9cX2oIxoCjLMQAvD_BwE

Probably will need to size down at the very least to a 32. The last thing you want is this suit to fill with water.

Good luck! Swim fast!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At his age, unless he's at the pointiest end of the age group, it's a solid suit. If it's his first tech suit then check the size charts before just ordering the same size as his training suits.

It's actually crazy how much faster these suits feel now. So much compression. Just make sure to use the washroom before putting them on, because they are a nightmare to peel down.

Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is definitely not pointy end yet - placing at the league meet is goal 1 this year. Iā€™ll double check the sizing!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's going to be blown away the first time he swims in it.

Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just measured - looks like a 32 is probably better. Heā€™s bummed as one model was really both cheap and he likes the look, but it only is available in 34/36 šŸ˜‚

No sense wasting $140 on a baggy suit. Iā€™m letting him mourn the loss privately while he looks at the Lazrs.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
15, sophomore, most competitive currently at the 50/100. May have potential in the fly.

I havenā€™t looked at cuts this year. Heā€™s in the :24/ :57 range currently, which is about where he ended the season last year. Decent, especially for someone who does more soccer than swimming, but not states-level (yet). I donā€™t think, at least.

Heā€™s a relatively large kid - 6ā€™3ā€, 210. Normally wears a 34, planning to order that for the tech suit as well.

Youā€™ll probably have to size down, how much varies wildly.

I normally wear a 34. In a Speedo tech suit Iā€™ll wear a 27. I just bought an Arena carbon ultra suit (before the pandemic, so havent actually worn it yet) in a 32.

My old TYR suit is a 28.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
We just measured - looks like a 32 is probably better. Heā€™s bummed as one model was really both cheap and he likes the look, but it only is available in 34/36 šŸ˜‚

No sense wasting $140 on a baggy suit. Iā€™m letting him mourn the loss privately while he looks at the Lazrs.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the site a the moment (my kids have been out for swimming for a few years now) but it always seemed like 3 out of 5 times Swim Outlet never had their size. I came across a site out of the UK that always had what we needed without fail and ordered from them. It took 5-7 days longer to get here but as long as we weren't waiting till the last minute it always worked out.

EDIT: Just looked through my credit card records and it was ProSwimWear. Last time we ordered from them was January 2017 though so can't speak to current experience.
Last edited by: logella: Feb 14, 21 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to order from here all the time as well, probably not since 2015 or 2016 though. It always came slowly (shipping to Canada) but as long as you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks its a great website for cheap racing suits!
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about race suits. But just want to give a shout out to your boy working and saving some cash to purchase a new suit for his swimming. Tell him I hope he finds some speed with his new suit and good luck this season.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I appreciate that it is his idea.

We ended up getting a Tyr Thresher. Entry-level, but still should be an improvement over the Speedo Endurance practice suit. Plus, less at stake if we measured incorrectly!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General Rule of Thumb:
If he takes less than 15 minutes to put it on the first time, it's sized too big. Subsequent installments will go faster as it stretches. When it takes less than 3 minutes, it's done - time for a new suit. That'll happen about the 5th or 6th time he wears it.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech suit - calling swimmers and swim parents/ coaches [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply