Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by konaby2008
Re: Team in Training [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great cause and Team in Training has established themselves as the premier endurance sports based fund raising program. They have more experience and have reached more athletees than any other program. Arguably, Team in Traning has also inspired many other charitable programs tied to athletic endeavor, so they are pioneers and remain among the very best.

Congratulations on this. You and your wife really deserve credit for taking this on.

Fund rasing is a big job now, made even bigger by the tsunami disaster last Sunday. The proliferation of donor-based charities is enormous. Because of that, evrybody's pocket's are picked clean. That makes fund raising an uphill battle.

However, there are places to start. If you work in a large corporate environment starting at the top is as good a place as any. A warehouse full of cubilces with peaople who make $50-$80K a year is filled with people who will be willing to throw a $20 donation your way. You just have to get in the trenches and get to them before they give it to the tsunami relef funds or some other charity. Fund raising is highly competitive and the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I wish I had more ideas for you, hopefully others with experience can chim in. Good luck- keep us posted.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up with TNT back in 2000 when our son was diagnosed with ALL. Did almost 3yrs with them as participant, mentor and coach before the Army moved us to KS.

The letter campaign really does work. I knew a few couples who had been raising $ for TNT for more than 10yrs solely via letters. Alot of the people who continually sent them money used them as their annual tax deductable donation.

PM me and I'll rattle off for you a few more ideas I've seen work.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You just have to get in the trenches and get to them before they give it to the tsunami relef funds or some other charity. Fund raising is highly competitive and the squeeky wheel gets the grease. "

I hope you would forget such a sad suggestion as this and think about real charity. If you miss your goal this year because people are thinking of all the lives lost and families suffering in Asia due to the Tsunami then think about the bigger picture and how there is always next year.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Team in Training [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, it is a sad suggestion.

But reality.

Who's to say which charity is more "worthy?". I think that decision is a deeply personal one. I;d make a strong argument for them all being worthy of donations.

The competitive nature of fund raising for charities pretty much dictates the squeeky wheels get the grease. Right now, the horrible catastropohy in Asia is no doubt foremost in the media and in people's mind- but does that make the plight of those in Asia any more worthy that a person suffering from Leukemia/Lymphoma?

Well, I don't think so.

The challenge of the fundraiser is to be heard and seen above the din of others rightfully in need of support.

That's tough. Especially now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife went to Maui Marathon through Team In Training. Check fast food chains out. I don't know where you live, but here in So. Cal., Carls Jr., Baja Fresh and Taco Bell have programs where 10% of their sales for a day will go to your cause. Restaurants may allow you to make and hand out flyers that offer a discount for meals. When patrons present the flyer, the restaurant gives your cause a percentage of the sales. Make connections with fellow TNTers. Many get more than they need and will offer to pass some to others that are close. Many companies have a corporate matching policy, so donations from employees essentially double.

I'll have to admit, though. With the end of year past - companies have made their tax-deductable contributions, and the recent tsunami disaster, it's a tough road ahead. But a well worded solicitation, something about the disaster, while certainly worthy of funding, we can't forget the ongoing need for money to find a cure for cancer, etc. etc. etc...

Good Luck

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Team in Training [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok sorry Tom I understood you but again fingers on keyboard before brain in action, plus its a Thai keyboard and I'm suffering extra.

To me most medical treatments are not a short term plan, they receive massive amounts of Government funding now whereas a freak act of nature is just like your car breaking down, pay now and make a huge difference and then get back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Team in Training [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you there in Thailand. I noticed you are there right now. Eh Gad man, I hope you were able to escape the suffering and loss- if such a thing is even possible.

What a horrible thing. My best wishes for your continued safety and wellness. I saw on the Laguna Phuket resort site that they said they missed most of the damage.

Stay well my friend, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the region many times throughout the day.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Team in Training [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew in after the 26th to help a business I part own, I have not ventured up near Phuket and north and I do not wish to as I have seen the photos being circulated.

I had heard Laguna resort suffered a lot of damage but then I heard it was open, who knows.

It is all so confusing, today it was like paradise and it would have been hard to know anything was unusual if not for the sadness surrounding everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I did St. Anthony's with TnT last year. It was my wife's second TnT event and she is doing St. A's again this year with the team.

Start out with mailing everybody you know. Our Christmas card list really has come through for us every time, even though this is the third time going to the well. Go after everyone you work with/for, including upper levels of management. You'll find almost everyone you talk to has some connection with cancer. I have found that written solicitations work better than just verbal requests. Wear your TnT apparel all the time to jog the memories of people you've solicited. Also hit up people you work with from other companys, people you do business with.

My wife raised quite a bit of money with candy and pizza sales at work one year.

Our TnT chapter has some purple wristbands they are offering for sale to team members for 50 cents for them to offer to others for donations. These are similar to the yellow livestrong bands.

Mardi gras type beads have also been effective fund raisers at certain venues.

I never was able to get the website donations going very well. I would keep hitting up people here and at other websites like this.

Don't get discouraged. Some people will pleasantly surprise you if you give them a chance by asking. And some you thought would be sure things will disappoint. But like they say, "Don't say no for people." Ask everyone you come in contact with. Leverage your resources. Some people may volunteer to help you raise money by collecting at their business or setting out a donation jar.

Use photos of your your honored hero and your personal connection to the cause in your letters.

Work with your mentor and teammates.

Don't worry too much about "stealing" donations from other worthy causes. Just like the old saying, "If you want to get something done, ask a busy person," some of your most generous donors will have just finished emptying their pockets for someone else. We got some good responses by serving coffee and donuts for donations after church.

Good luck. When our niece, then 6 years old was diagnosed with ALL, it was great to be able to "do something" as well as hope and pray. She's going into her third year of remission now.
Last edited by: davejakes: Jan 2, 05 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
konaby--back to you. My GF sends or personally delivers fund-raising letters to the people she "trades" with during the year--her doctor, her dentist, hairdresser, etc. Just a few other ideas.
Quote Reply