Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who is Sky Team Leader???
Quote | Reply
Well here is the profile 3x HC climbs

Hopefully Movistar can recover and shake Sky and Tom Doumoulin does not pay too badly for the Stage 11 hammerfest. Its good to see Froome and Dumoulin's legs come back after the Giro.

Will be interesting to see if Alaphillippe can keep the polka dot of it he is too cooked.

Here is the GC

I think what matters is the time to Chris Froome. My 2 cents is that Thomas has one bad day and his time becomes meaningless

General classification after stage 11#Rider Name (Country) TeamResult1Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky44:06:16 2Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky0:01:25 3Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb0:01:44 4Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida0:02:14 5Primoz Roglic (Slo) LottoNL-Jumbo0:02:23 6Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo0:02:40 7Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team0:02:56 8Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale0:02:58 9Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team0:03:16 10Daniel Martin (Irl) UAE Team Emirates
Based on that Roglic and Nibali are still only less than 1 min behind Froome. Can Bardet take Alpe d'Huez for France?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 19, 18 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think GT's time is meaningless will HELP him tomorrow because I think all the GC guys are going to go after Froome. So if Froome actually gets yellow it truly meant he attacked and stayed away.

So I actually think they follow Froome, thus void his time and suddenly GT stays ahead in yellow.

So I think Sky "protects" yellow by allowing Froome to attack.....I just dont think it will work tomorrow. Or shall I say if it does work, the other GC guys have just shat the bed and it's done.....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

So I actually think they follow Froome, thus void his time and suddenly GT stays ahead in yellow.

There are, by all appearances 2-3 guys who can follow Froome on this type of course profile which suits Froome perfectly. No way in hell Froome just sets tempo.

Froome seems to be in legacy-cementing mode this year, and I think he was a big chip on his shoulder over Thomas talking about his GC ambitions all the time. Dropping Thomas on Alp D'Huez sends a big STFU to everyone. (And of course he'll be nice and polite in post-race interviews).

It's his over-the-to- trying-too-hard-politeness today that makes me think he's livid. :)
Last edited by: trail: Jul 18, 18 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think they have to protect anyone. USPS v2.0 is rolling along just fine.

Froome ends up winning GT top 5. It really just depends on if the others race to win, and thus end up farther down in the top 10, or race for second.

The question is really what kind of lead do each of the top contenders need o Froome going into the TT.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:

The question is really what kind of lead do each of the top contenders need o Froome going into the TT.

Except there's one where that question is flipped around. The reigning World Time Trial Champion probably just needs to aim for being about even. Probably not worried about being down a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My prediction is you see TeeJay and Rolland in the early break. Always easier said than done, but those two guys have a history with Alpe d'Huez.

Not sure it makes a ton of sense for Froome to attack Thomas as long as Geraint doesn't falter badly. With 9 days to go it makes more sense for Froome to work for Thomas. Sky would look like total morons if Froome drags anyone past the yellow jersey and then gets sick or crashes next week and they leave the Tour with nothing. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and Thomas is a minute up on Froome because he has ridden a better race.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume it's team orders for Froome to go on the attack tomorrow, not GT. So dropping GT isn't really all that impressive imo tomorrow. That's the correct move.

ETA: GT isn't going to be the one to "respond" to Froome's attack, so him dropping GT isn't really anything other than proper tactics.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 18, 18 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I would assume it's team orders for Froome to go on the attack tomorrow, not GT. So dropping GT isn't really all that impressive imo tomorrow. That's the correct move.

It wasn't team orders for GT to attack today. I think the only rule between Froome and GT is that they don't sabotage the team by bridging\bringing other GC guys. Attacking each other is game on, and if one sees the opportunity, they're going to go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right but GT doesn't need to attack Froome tomorrow, his ploy is to sit in and get pulled by the GC guys when/if Froome attacks tomorrow. So of course tomorrow of the 2, it will be Froome attacking, not GT (initially). FYI the attack today was for "yellow", so it made sense.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 18, 18 21:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
cbritri wrote:

Except there's one where that question is flipped around. The reigning World Time Trial Champion probably just needs to aim for being about even. Probably not worried about being down a bit.

Dumolin ain't winning this tour and Sanders ain't winning Kona. Slowtwitch needs to let go of those fantasies.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medium long leash, is pretty much what I just said. Froome goes on attack. GT sits on the GC guys who then respond to said attack. Froome is not going to "fake attack" if that's what your meaning by not putting GT in danger. I cant' see him softening them up...if he's going to go, I would think he's going. That's why having GT sit on the GC would work (if they catch Froome, and if GT can then counter).

ETA: The whole reason why Froome will attack is to force GC guys to respond, a half assed attack doesn't help Sky, especially if it doesn't result in any time differences. Tomorrow that's critical as there are only a few more time gap chances....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 18, 18 21:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All sounds about right in terms of tactics.

I'm assuming it would be suicide for any serious GC contender to attack before Alpe d'huez. I've ridden most of today's route and the descent from Croix de Fer is pretty straightforward and followed by a long flat drag before you hit the Alpe. So from a GC perspective all the action should be in the last 30-40 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Dumolin ain't winning this tour and Sanders ain't winning Kona. Slowtwitch needs to let go of those fantasies.

Fantasy is all I got. I can't accept just being on my knees underneath Brailsford and Froome. Just can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

Fantasy is all I got. I can't accept just being on my knees underneath Brailsford and Froome. Just can't.

Surprised the Sanders Fanboys haven't fantasized what he would do in the TDF quoting his power numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't see any of mention of it but did anyone see that Cav and Kittel didn't make the time cut yesterday?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Didn't see any of mention of it but did anyone see that Cav and Kittel didn't make the time cut yesterday?

Was mentioned in the other thread, are they now out the tour?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are done...

Jackets wrote:
stevej wrote:

Was mentioned in the other thread, are they now out the tour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
cbritri wrote:

I am trying to figure out which mountain Froome creates that gap on. Doing it today and dropping Thomas at the same time might send a message.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He would win easily. He just hasn’t found a team to keep up with him.

moonmonkey02 wrote:
trail wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

Surprised the Sanders Fanboys haven't fantasized what he would do in the TDF quoting his power numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

To pull the ST fanatasy full circle, Sanders was contacted by Cav and Kittell and have offered to play domestique duties for Kona's race to T2. Josh Amberger is on the pool deck at Bourg D'Oisans giving these guys swim sets so that they can make the Sanders+Kienle+Wurf swim group. After the swim set, Cav and Kittel are taking a helicopter up to switchback 22 to watch the end of today's stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing like watching the tour after a hard 150k loop in the mountains in the morning.

Froome and G are both nice guys outside of racing and play every rivalry down. That's why it is not as dramatic as in 2012 (yet).
Wiggins was very straight with being the only leader. And he would bot tolerate anything Froome did that even looked that he could put him in danger.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to see Froome and Thomas going at each other, that would be entertaining.

Also, any chance Kruijswijk can stay away? Pretty bold for him to leave the rest of the break away prior to the last climb given there's a decent amount of flat prior to d'Huez. I like that he's kind of putting pressure on sky early though (maybe they aren't worried about him though)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet the other GC guys would love that too. It would mean it became a less tactical race and easier on them.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 12 Alpe d'Huez: ....who does Sky Protect ? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And again everyone is dumb enough to help sky.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next