Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TdF: Where are the Japanese, Koreans, ...?
Quote | Reply
It seems most of the TdF riders making the news are from the Americas, Europe, or Australia. Why are there not more Asians, particularly Japanese, Koreans, or Chinese? It seems cyclists would have sufficient corporate and/or governmental support and certainly those cultures are sport-loving. Will it take a special athlete to spur cycling in those countries to greater heights (e.g. LeMond or Armstrong in the US) or are there other socioeconomic forces at work? Just wonderin'.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Where are the Japanese, Koreans, ...? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once the Kenyans start bike racing, It will be all over. All that is left is hockey, golf (oh they did that one already ) , Americas cup sailing, lumber jack championship. I have seen some fast asian road race men , they must have better things to do in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Where are the Japanese, Koreans, ...? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, first some japanese rider will have to find his way onto one of the teams that end up GOING to the tdf. if some korean dude can get his ass onto liberty seguros or something maybe he will get to go to the tour. like you or me or anybody thinking they can make the big time, he will have to go suffer like a pig in the gutters of europe getting beat like a drum for a spell first, if past history is any indication. boyer did it, so can said korean guy.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF: Where are the Japanese, Koreans, ...? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I agree. And I completely forgot about Boyer -- first American to ride in the TdF. My bad.

I imagine it would take a strong work ethic and tolerance for suffering exceeding that of a typical TdF or pro rider because a Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or Kenyan (among others) would not have much family or cultural support while racing in Europe. As the individual would be breaking relatively new ground, there would be none on the team other than the professionalism of teammates.
Quote Reply