Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tarsal Coalition - Running Mechanics - Surgery
Quote | Reply
Hi All - Everyone has been so helpful here with my triathlon questions so I thought maybe someone might be able to provide input into Tarsal Coalition.

I have a 10 year old recently diagnosed with tarsal coalition. He's 5' and 100lbs or so. He'd been complaining of foot/ankle pain for the last year or so and imaging confirmed tarsal coalition. Now we're at a point where surgery may be necessary. Looking back at videos of him as he got older ... we can see his run mechanics change to accommodate the lack of mobility in his LEFT foot/ankle.

Here are some recent videos of him running. You'll notice he's pronating quite a bit. When he sprints it's even more obvious because he seems to keep his ankle locked so left foot is quite flat and almost looks like he's lumbering or running with a cinderblock tied to his left foot.

Has anyone, as an adult or child (or their child), had surgery to correct tarsal coalition? Our hope is he will benefit from the surgery and, with some PT assistance, could develop more efficient running mechanics once his ankle/foot mobility is back.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Mechanics (from front)
https://imgur.com/eyStvmy

Mechanics (from rear)
https://imgur.com/vEyWo1K
Last edited by: bbdude: Sep 5, 23 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Coalition - Running Mechanics - Surgery [bbdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I would recommend surgery without first exhausting all conservative options.

Most children adduct their feet when they learn to walk but the feet straighten out in time as their feet get stronger. If someone continues to have a hypermobile midtarsal/metatarsal joint the foot adduction continues as well. It's an avoidance of the great toe as it stops forward momentum. The foot is actually getting in the way of itself and causes a clumsy gait. The liner in the shoe will usually have a big pressure indent at the tip of the big toe.

I suggest you have him try running with a neutral Currex insole to lightly support his foot and a lighter low-stack shoe with better flexibility than the one he's wearing like the Saucony Kinvara/Brooks Hyperion. This should gently keep his foot from compressing but also unlock the front of his foot which allows a straighter foot position and fluid heel-toe follow through which will increase his knee/hip extension. Some psoas releasing and glut strengthening is also suggested to reverse his inward hip rotation from how he has been walking since he was a child.

Extended times walking barefoot on hard surfaces and shoes like soccer cleats usually aren't recommended for this issue.

Hope he feels better!

Bill Stone, CPed
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Coalition - Running Mechanics - Surgery [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Riedinaustin. We met with a surgeon today and he encouraged us to explore the same things you recommended. We got a PT script so will see if he can assist with the gait/mechanics and we'll also give the new shoes a and some custom insoles a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Coalition - Running Mechanics - Surgery [bbdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great his doctor incorporates foot mechanics with the diagnosis. I have been making custom foot orthotics/insoles for 23 years and you may want to have the provider see if a 1st MTPJ accommodation built into the insole may further help.
Quote Reply