Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taper time on the Barry P plan?
Quote | Reply
What does a two week marathon taper look like on the Barry P plan? Stick to six days a week but lower duration/intensity? Or fewer days as well? Thanks.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Taper time on the Barry P plan? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a shot & probably get flamed :) I've been doing the Barry P run approach since October and like you have a marathon in 19 days. I plan to do a 2 wk taper also. For me this week will stay the same except I'll cut back on the long run a bit still doing ~18 miles with about an hour spent at race pace.

For the 2 wk taper I'm guessing general taper rules apply. Cut mileage to ~60% of highest volume but I plan to continue my track session (mile intervals for me). Long run of 10 easy. Depending on previous volume you could possibly still run 6 x per week-- taper is more about cutting weekly volume while maintaining some intensity. With one week out there is nothing to be gained from a longer run.

Race week--cut to ~40% of total volume including race. Early in the week I plan to do 5-7 mi at race pace from there I'm shutting it down (a 4 and maybe couple of 3s in there). I DO anticipate taking an additional day off this week. Ya know what we've probably earned it!

Now all I have to do is run SLOW enough for my race week runs to count in the 100/100 challenge! :)

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Taper time on the Barry P plan? [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've got six week to go until the big day.

About those challenge runs.... during hour three yesterday I began thinking about how to break it down into three runs. (Dev did say whatever you do in your hour between--even running--is your business.) But in the end decided that if I wanted to get 100/100 I wanted to do it by really running 100/100.

The running slow enough part is never a challenge for me. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply