Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips?
Quote | Reply
As a taller triathlete I really struggle getting my bike on and off transition racks. Bike is Giant Trinity Advanced Pro, with rear Xlab hydration carrier mounted to ISM saddle. I pretty much have to mount the bike using the saddle nose, but getting the saddle under the rack either involves leaning the bike over or lifting the front wheel to some extreme angle. I have previously mounted bikes using the handlebars and the brake levers to hook onto the bars, but with the front hydration unit on the trinity this is not an option.
Anyone have and tips for a quicker method for racking/Un-racking the bike?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue. Typically use my xlab BTS bottle holder to prop up the bike (pic attached), which works ok. Sometimes need to throw down a shop towel or such on the rack bar so it doesn't slide around.

tricalculator.com
Last edited by: mlbTri: Aug 19, 20 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same issue here being 6ft4. No real work around, other than just leaning it to get it under.

Pro tip: Be late out of the water and the rack is empty ;)
Super Pro tip: Bike super hard and the rack is empty in T2 as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, nothing good to add here but I have the same issue. I got dinged once because during the run my bike fell over into someone else's area and the person next to me just put their bike on top of mine while it was laying on its side. Not bad enough I get back to see my bike laying on its side but then I got hit with a penalty too. #Tallproblems
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you could bring a wheel holder/bike stand.

I have the opposite problem, my bike doesn't touch the ground and sways in the wind.

The only place I don't have problems are with racks that hold the rear wheel like Rev3 and HFP races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like a neat solution, albeit means you can't use a rear hydration holder. https://www.tri-trained.co.uk/store/p2/RAK~it.html

I have just made my own version that works with the slab delta 425. It looks fully shit, but may do the job, Not doubt there will be an aero hit on it. Ill try and get a picture up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at smaller races i have racked on handlebars or rear hydration resting on top of rack. At IM events, if I do either of those IM staff will move my setup and put with nose on rack. I just have to tilt the bike to get it out. I’m late out of the water anyway
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wheel holder idea is interesting!

The two races I’ve done this summer have been nice because of fewer bikes per rack - more room to do the side lean.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5" here. I typically rack it by the bars. Ive gotten trapped a time or two when I do it by the nose of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two bikes I haven't been able to bar rack due to the front ends (fork on the shadow-R, delta cover on the tririg omni), so I just tend to precariously rest it on the back of the saddle/rear hydration holder. My Omni with the rear hydration has just enough of a lip that it isn't likely to slide off, but if you don't have anything like that it's probably worth modifying the rear end like the picture above, or even just a tab, to keep it from sliding. It's a lost cause to mount it on the nose of the saddle, especially if you run bottles behind that stick up even higher than the saddle. Simply not worth the risk of forgetting to tilt it under the rack and bumping the rack hard and knocking someones bike over anyways.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that. Did you 3D print it?

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not 3D Printed. I used a piece of Kydex, which is thermo-formed plastic. I heated it up and bent it into shape, then cut and sanded the edges to get a neater finish. It still looks quite shite, but if it works I will be happy. I am thinking of installing a couple of magnets on it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'4" and all legs, so my saddle is sky high, and then with bottles behind too.... In 99% of cases I rack with the bar between the bottle and the saddle (so behind the post) as per first photo. I've had some cases where the bar was honestly not tall enough for that. In that case I've talked to the marshal in transition and they have relocated my spot to lean on the end of the rack.

I've an Arundel holder that as well as bottles carries CO2 as well which creates the hook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding this to my arts and crafts projects I need to do! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xplombier wrote:

*gasp*

20 years I’ve been struggling with this....

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is the 1st iteration of a 3d printed idea. What you can't see is in the base of the hook will be 2 x 8mm magnets, to assist with holding the bike still on the rack. The elongated slots in the piece can be used for velcro straps to hold things like inner tubes etc in the dead space to the rear of the bottle cage. Was also thinking of getting a couple of small drawstring bags that the velcro straps would secure so pretty much anything could be carried in them. I'm going to work on this in the coming weeks. This is a 'draft' model, so the finished item will have a finer finish. Already I'm thinking the main 'spigot' with the holes in should be longer. I also had the 'spigot' offset on the hook so it could be flipped around if desired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xplombier wrote:

This is the 1st iteration of a 3d printed idea. What you can't see is in the base of the hook will be 2 x 8mm magnets, to assist with holding the bike still on the rack. The elongated slots in the piece can be used for velcro straps to hold things like inner tubes etc in the dead space to the rear of the bottle cage. Was also thinking of getting a couple of small drawstring bags that the velcro straps would secure so pretty much anything could be carried in them. I'm going to work on this in the coming weeks. This is a 'draft' model, so the finished item will have a finer finish. Already I'm thinking the main 'spigot' with the holes in should be longer. I also had the 'spigot' offset on the hook so it could be flipped around if desired.

That's genius.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fine start. Wouldn't it be more stable, if the bit that goes around the rack tube was longer on the side toward the seat post? (I apologize for the technical terms.)

What rack tube diameter are you trying to fit?

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
A fine start. Wouldn't it be more stable, if the bit that goes around the rack tube was longer on the side toward the seat post? (I apologize for the technical terms.)

What rack tube diameter are you trying to fit?

I have just measured a UK spec scaffolding pole, which came in around 45mm in diameter. We made the ‘hook’ around 48mm. When it’s fitted to my bike and the bike is lifted up as it would be on the rack with the front wheel on the floor, the hook is pretty central on the pole. The inclusion of the two magnets on the underside (they are recessed so they are flush with the surface), should be enough to hold it secure.
Like I have said, this is MkI and I am sure it will evolve the more I tweek it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I thought our Rak-it might help

Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Perhaps you could bring a wheel holder/bike stand.

I have the opposite problem, my bike doesn't touch the ground and sways in the wind.

The only place I don't have problems are with racks that hold the rear wheel like Rev3 and HFP races.
Same here. At 5'4", my bike is a small frame. When I did a 70.3 a couple weeks ago, my whole bike was hanging off the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Taller Triathletes - Getting Bike On/Off Transition Racks, Any Tips? [PaulMurray1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulMurray1 wrote:
Hi I thought our Rak-it might help
I have one of these which I’m using now. Shelved my hydration rack mount when I got rid of my Trinity. May have to revisit it when I find my next tri bike - 32mm tyres, suspension (I’m thinking redshift) etc etc. Real comfort is king!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5" here. I usually rack mine by the bars. Ive done the tip of the saddle thing and invariably get trapped by either a sagging rack due to the weightof all the bikes or cant get it out because bikes are packed in too tight.
Quote Reply

Prev Next