Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle.
Quote | Reply
While we dance around the daunting task of finishing the Campy/Shimano Shootout (which now may run as a mini-series) we have posted a valuable examination of the new Fizik Arione saddle.

This saddle is a viable alternative for many people, especially triathletes. If you are interested take a look:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

I hope you find it informative. Comments and feedback always welcome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you state in your review, saddles are pretty individual...

That being said, this saddle is amazing. I've been riding with one on my road bike for about 8 weeks now. It is by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden (I'd say I've probbaly put significant miles, >1000, on 8-10 different saddles over the years). For me the difference is there is great support (no hot spots) and my hamstrings are free on the down stroke. That last little change is such a huge improvement. I had never finished a long ride without my upper hamstrings being sore and tired from constantly fighting the lateral aspects of the saddle...untill 6 weeks ago. I've tried narrow saddles, shaved/cut the sides off of saddles (which works, but takes away lateral support), nothing has ever given me as much freedom for my hamstrings on the downstroke as this saddle.

I put one on my tri/TT bike 2 weeks ago, and give it similar glowing reviews (previously I used a San Marco Tri Apside).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came off an SLR and an Azoto as well as having done time on an Aspide Triathlon.

I was pretty surprised by how much better the Arione felt. It took me a while to get used to the appearance- it's huge! Now all other saddles look like a BMX bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Fizik Aliante on my road bike and I just love it.

Has anyone here ridden both the Aliante and the Arione? If so, can you compare and contrast?

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sucks big time, I just got an Azoto last year, and just went through my xmas allotment of triathlon goods. The Azoto is nice, but I still have considerable discomfort (admittedly it's a ton better than my stock saddle, however, I wouldn't say it's the end all) on it causing me to shift around alot. I guess I'll start putting my pennies in the piggy bank.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom -

Do you know whether the extended tail of the Arione accomodates an x-lab saddlewing? From the pictures it looks like the rails are tucked pretty far underneath the rear of the saddle, and I don't know if the x-lab would have the reach needed... thanks for your help.

-Drew

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [d_smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Gobi on my mtb for about 4 months now, and it´s just perfect. My only problem with the Arione is the weight, though. I try to keep my roadbike light, and have problems accepting the weightpenalty of about 150 grams. Anyway, my bottom would love it:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, that article is excellent. Thank you. Because if your review, plus the good things I have read on this forum, I think I am going to buy one.(I'm sure that you've read of my ongoing woes in the saddle department, and yes, I'm sorry about that)

Now see, if you had online shopping on your site, you could be pimping these directly and make some money for your efforts. Instead, I have to buy it from Performance Bike, and that's just not right. Although, you are only 710 miles from my house, so I could try to drive out on Saturday. But I probably wouldn't make it back for the One Hour Swim on Sunday.

Thanks again.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My only problem with the Arione is the weight, though. I try to keep my roadbike light, and have problems accepting the weightpenalty of about 150 grams

So your current road bike saddle weighs under 100grams?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the saddle I´m about to buy (german AX Lightness) weights in at around 85 grams. It might not be comfortable, but it´s for sure light :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey jmorrissey, thanks for your compliments and for reading.

A sales rep told me, "The only thing standing between you and e-commerce is the unwillingness on your part to do something half-assed".

We've devoted a substantial amount of resources toward developing that capability. This has been an on-going operation for two years. One thing for sure, if we do it (and it is likely we will) it will start small and slow but with a powerful engine behind it. We'll see. No promises.

As for saddle weight, well, within reason I don't think the weight is a significant factor. I know I lose more time being uncomfotable than I would gain by saving 50 grams.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't rode either, but if you go to roabikereview.com the roadies give a good number of reviews on the Aliante and it comes out favourable. The Selle Italia Turbomatic is also highly marked. I'm looking at the Koobi Enduro/Chrono/Silver. Also very favourable and a much better price than Fizik.

I had a box load of saddles in the basement (sold them on ebay) at one time, all failed experiments and some quite expensive. I'm riding a cheapy that I found in a bargain bin at a bike shop that is the most comfortable, so I'm reluctant to just run out and purchase an Arione at this stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I'm mad I just bought the fizik aliante. (Well last season anyway). That saddle has been terrific though.

If you're that concerned about weight, remember that you can always save a few grams by shaving your eyebrows.

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I just got ditched my turbomatic for an SSM Azoto!

BTW - the turbomatic is not ideal for riding on its stiffer nose. And the embroidery on my gel version does not feel that great. Otherwise it's a very good saddle. I've tried to sell mine on the classies, but no takers....

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn this industry for coming out with new stuff instead of selling us the same stuff every model year :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

OK so a few guys will have a go at me for this... but since I do have an MBA I might as well give you some 'free advice' since you have put so much free advice on your site and on this forum for us...!!! (BUT I may be wasting my time here because it is obvious you are VERY successful in your business and I do think you have it all covered anyway!)

1) You don't sell a product you sell a service! To me as a consumer this is paramount when I buy “luxury” items like bikes and parts. But saying this you are servicing a geographical community without boundaries. To this extent you can service your customers online too. Let me give you an example: The testing you do on the Arione saddle allows you to give informed information to the community. When a client enters your shop you will give him the same information anyway. The main advantage might be that you have a “test” facility for customers to try before they buy.

2) When you start doing the e-commerce thing don’t try and do it all!!! IT DOES NOT work. I’ve been rolling out webservices projects for financial services for 3 years now and the key is incremental growth! The big bang approach does not work and if it goes tits-up it happens in a BIG way. My suggestion would be: If you do a test and review on a saddle like the Arione, offer this to be purchased online. Therefore those products that you feel passionate about are those that are PERFECT for online trading. In any case these will be the items that move your inventory from the floor.

3) The last thing I will mention (and then I will shut up) is inventory. Michael Dell is the master when it comes to inventory. He operates a JIT (just in time) approach to carrying stock and can offer better prices since he doesn’t take the risk of stock ageing and putting a burden on you balance sheet. You will know very well that the shop you run requires inventory, this costs you $$$ to have. When you expand to online retailing you need to get the “model” changed!! I guess what I’m trying to say is that traditional inventory methods will not work in the same way as they do in the shop… more reason not to try and do it all

OK nuff said… just my 02c worth of useless theory… ;-)

For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, or anyone else, how will the Arione stand up over time with some one who weighs close to 200 pounds. I've had a saddle crack under my weight before and I'd hate to spend $125 on something that won't work.

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Great review with lots of interesting information. My question is: because it is such a different sized seat how do Ireplace it and still have the fit that you did for me without going all the way across the state? Currently I ride the Azoto, but there are still some issues (as others have stated) and anything for comfort is good ;)

letter

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, tell us more about how you custom mould a saddle with a heat gun!!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, great review. I picked one up yesterday to replace the Terry Ti Fly on my road bike. After one 40 mile ride here are my observations. The Ti Fly is an old school "comfort" saddle approach- plenty of cushion and a happy hole in the middle. The problem was, it was too much cushion and everything would go numb after a few hours in the saddle. The other thing I noticed is that because the Terry had so much padding it wasn't a very stable platform and I'd rock a lot in the saddle. One easy ride is all it took to convince me that the Arione is light years better. It's more comfortable, I'm more stable on it, and it's lighter too (and I haven't even broken it in yet). I think this saddle is especially applicable for those riding PC's, as I am on the road bike. Because this saddle is so long you can slide way back or forward and change the muscles being used. This provides just enough of a break when the hip flexors start screaming.
The narrowness of the saddle is another huge bonus. I had tried the SSM Azoto a while back on my tri bike and I had to ditch it after a few rides because the nose was just too wide for me. I ended up going with the Aspide trigel instead, which has a much narrower nose. Likewise, for the road bike the narrow nose of the Arione is a far better fit for me than any other saddle I've ridden.
My only little nit is that the nose of the saddle catches my shorts sometimes when I'm out of the saddle. The saddle has such a wide fore-aft fit range though that I think I could slide it back 1cm and get the clearance I need and still be able to ride anywhere I please. This just provided for a scary moment the first time it happened- picture being out of the saddle on PC's when, suddenly, your left HF decides it's had enough and the foot doesn't clear the top; you go to sit down quickly and the saddle snags your shorts. Not a pretty picture... Other than that, thanks for the saddle recommendation- it's a keeper.
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on all the positive recommendations on this thread, I was brave (or stupid, your choice) enough to get myself this new saddle and after my 40 km back home (it was just barely 3 degrees celsius but luckily no wind) I just can say thanks, it is a great saddle and it feels extremely comfortable.

I am sure it will be comfortable as well on my next long ride (Hopefully it is a little warmer then)

thanks
tri2b
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-(or anyone else)-In the review you talk about this saddle breaking in like the old Brooks. That got my attention because I love Brooks saddles. I've had to ditch them because of the weight and riding in the rain issue.

So here's my question. Would you relate the "feel" of the arione at all to a brooks? Does it have the same "give" like the leather does? When I sit on a Brooks after it is broken in it feels like I am sitting on a hammock because of the "give" of the leather. After the Arione conforms to your butt, does it have any "give" in it?

Also, how would you relate the feel to the Aliente? I just bought an Aliente (actually I thought I was getting an Arione, but since I ended up loving the Aliente so much I didn't mind).

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

I'd like to follow-up on Adam's question....would you recommend this saddle for someone heavier? Will the "Wing Flex" design be a problem for such people?

Thanks.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Google on 'Fizik Arione' .. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Tom's review is third on the list. The world is listening, Tom..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Take a good look at the Fizik Arione saddle. [tri2b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Based on all the positive recommendations on this thread, I was brave (or stupid, your choice) enough to get myself this new saddle and after my 40 km back home (it was just barely 3 degrees celsius but luckily no wind) I just can say thanks, it is a great saddle and it feels extremely comfortable.

Me too. I got a new one on ebay but the weather is too cold now for a ride over here. With all this new stuff (wheels, shoes, saddle, clothes) its really hard to not ride.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 23, 04 12:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next