Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT bike to road bike
Quote | Reply
Depending on how things go with legislation for essentials and stimulus checks I may be upgrading my bike this year. Which brings me to upgrade or buy a road bike since my old road bike is in terrible condition and hasn't left the trainer in 4 years, so currently my only rid-able bike is my TT bike. So I'd like a road bike for times like this when I know there's no racing, and I could be more comfortable on hoods rather than aerobars. That brings up rules I've set for myself over the years that have saved me cash and made me buy stuff in a different way. Specifically

All my best stuff goes toward racing. Either buy lower than racing, and save money, or upgrade and trickle down.

Now... Here's where it gets interesting and back to the original point. Assuming more cash comes down the pipe maybe I'll upgrade to a new TT bike (current is a 2011 Felt b10 with ultegra 10 speed mechanical) and convert my current TT bike to a road bike. Then I get the best of both worlds for the price of one bike +$100 for STI shifters. Good idea or do I need to stop day drinking at work?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike to road bike [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has some info and thoughts, both pro and con. If you do it right, it can definitely work very well.
ST thread:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...on_P7201023/?page=-1

And some other links that might help you out:

Short post about why/how to do this:
https://www.darkspeedworks.com/blog-triathlonbike.htm

A small facebook photo album of other tri bikes with drop bar set ups:
https://www.facebook.com/...mp;ref=page_internal

Sample:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 5, 20 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bikes make pretty crappy road bikes. I've done what you suggest to poor results. You can still come out reasonably ahead by buying a road frame and moving the components from your old tt bike to the road bike, which is what I ended up doing to much better results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing a lot of cheap road framesets on facebook marketplace right now. I'd go that route and put some of the TT bike components on it. People around here are buying and selling stuff secondhand a lot. Good time to find sti shifters used. Or go the ebay route. TT frames make not that fun road bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As some others have said, it's a buyers market right now so you could get a great frame for cheap, but I converted my p3c and its honestly awesome. I love riding it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply