Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0
Quote | Reply
Im a new Triathlete and stuck on which bike to get. I am already committed to a (2) Sprints (escape the cape),an Olympic and a Half Ironman (Atlantic City). Ive hired a coach and following a training plan religiously. If all goes well, I plan on trying a full IM in 2020. Im not young (45) but Ive always been athletic. I was a college Decathlete (very long time ago) and after a break from any running, Ive been an avid runner for the last 10+ years, but now Im finally jumping into this world. My goal isnt to win anything...but Im a competitive person by nature and I have what I consider to be "respectable" goals for each race (probably not respectable by many standards.....but its my first year and I like having goals!)

Anyway - Im not someone to stick my toe in....I usually jump in full to anything I commit to. I have a Cyclocross bike that Ive been using for a few years, but Im going to buy a decent TRI bike in the next week. I was originally set on a TREK SC (new) but intrigued by the Premier after a local race director mentioned that I should consider one.

Im being professionally fit for a bike this week and the fitter is 100% on board with the SC (partially because the store sells trek, but its not a TREK only store). He said that he is 100% confident that he can get a great fit on the TREK and that the TREK is a more flexible bike from a fit standpoint. He had concerns about getting a good fit on the Tactical, parts availability, crash test data....etc...and a whole bunch of things that Im not sure that I understand...or care about. Tactical seems to have great reviews, great service and better wheels as standard.

Both are about the same price configured similarly (Di2, both pay for the fit, etc), but Im not real focused on the cost except if there was a significant difference - as both are within what Im willing to spend. My plan is to get fit this week then decide and order one next week. Is there anything about one of these bikes that I am missing? Truthfully seems like I cant go wrong either way.
Last edited by: JerseyDragon: Mar 5, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [JerseyDragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no Premium Tactical 2.0. It's Premier Tactical 2.0

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 5, 19 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are his concerns about the Tactical legitimate or born out of ignorance of the brand? I would also consider that he is a Trek dealer motivated to sell a Trek bike and he can’t dell the Tactical. That doesn’t mean the Trek isn’t a good choice but I wouldn’t let my fitters sales limitations dictate my bike choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you've found yourself a seasoned salesman. He's positive he can fit you well on what he sells (prior to conducting your fit session) and dismisses the other option with little to no knowledge. The SC is a great bike and is very flexible in terms of fit. It may be a perfectly good choice for you but he clearly has additional motivations.

Does the Trek come with power meter and race wheels for a comparable price to the Tactical?
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Mar 5, 19 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the Premiere. I am run heavy right now so haven’t really been on it. But the few short rides I have been on it feels much more stable than my slice when fit in an aggressive position.

I don’t think you will find a better bang for your buck. Add the dual sided power meter and you won’t need to upgrade the bike. I would recommend picking up a cheap training wheel for the trainer (if you don’t have a direct drive).

I am surprised to hear that the fitter was concerned about fit on the Premiere. My sense was the SC was difficult to get long and low on.

Being new, your position will evolve. Not knowing your fit I would still guess you will ride more aggressively in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have any questions about the Tactical or would like to discuss your fit please feel free to contact me. dan.premierbike@gmail.com

I'm competing at Escape the Cap this year as well. It's a great race.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely nothing against the Premier, I think it is a nice bike, but there are certainly some advantages to the trek IMHO, especially for someone who sounds like they'll be depending on their shop for maintenance and setup.
Trek has a huge dealer network, easy access to replacement parts. It also nice to have an LBS to deal with warranty issues for you.
The SC is also pretty widely regarded as one of the fastest frames out there, up there with the P5, no?
And for your typical triathlete, I don't think there is any issue getting them fit to a Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyDragon wrote:
Truthfully seems like I cant go wrong either way.

I would agree with this. The amount of LBS owners/employees that are aware of (and have good info on) the Premier Tactical has gotta be pretty low. I live about halfway between Trek Factory and owner of Premier. HUGE Trek presence here. Dan (Owner of Premier) came to our of our tri club meetings just over a year ago to share his bikes, his development, and future plans. The 4th person from our (relatively small club) bought a Tactical a week or two ago. It seems like everybody we connect with Dan is driving over and picking up a bike a few weeks later. I can't say I know anybody in the group that has bought a Trek Speed Concept in that time. There's quite a few people in the club already on Speed Concepts though. They are both really good bikes with a lot of thought put into their design and manufacturing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The salesman is lying to you. While you might fit well on a SC, the Tactical offers greater adjustability. It's also a better deal and fast. It is my next purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be weary of any fitter who says they can 100% get a good fit on a certain brand of bike they sell, without actually have done any fit analysis. That logical should mean they can fit you to any bike 100% then.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats fair.
I like having the dealer network, but as someone else said, probably be fine with either choice anyway. The premier I saw in Tremblant was very very nice looking, the storage box is the nicest integrated on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE my Premier. As mentioned above it's extremely fast and stable from the few outdoors rides I've taken it on so far (remains on my trainer through winter so far). Added bonus - Even on my trainer, it looks so sexy that I want to ride it everyday. I will say, I'm tempted not to give such glowing reviews anymore, because this cult like following is going to result in many people with faster bikes. But in reality, Dan is amazing with service and support, and the bikes are just plain fun to ride.

If I didn't get the Premier though, the Trek would not have been on my list. It's not a bad bike necessarily, but I think there are a lot of better options available too.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't necessarily say the salesman is lying, he's most likely ignorant and biased.

turdburgler wrote:
The salesman is lying to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a Trek SC and have limited knowledge of Premier tactical and I love my Trek, but I'm willing to bet you would be able to get a good fit on either bike (or really any bike for that matter) unless there is some underlying issue with your physiology. Trek does quite well in the wind tunnel, but there are a million other - larger - factors there and I'm sure Premier is fast in it's own right.

The long and short of it for me is, get the bike that speaks to you. My understanding is you might get more bang for your buck with Premier, but personally, I just happen to love my bike so that's why I picked it.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Sorry for the misspelling. Im pretty sure everyone knew what I was talking about, but I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Thanks for the correction.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but I dont think Premier comes with a power meter any more either. I think it was the earliest version that came with a case and power meter.

Either way - I would probably get either Garmin Vector 3 or Assioma pedals either way so the power meter isnt a consideration for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are good choices. I own a Speed Concept and love it. I had a seatpost binder fail and Trek warrantied it without hassle. If I were in your shoes I’d get the Speed Concept with the vertical dropouts being the deciding factor. The new Trek TT saddle is pretty nice too btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SC also come with a case?

Dan's a great guy with a great product. Very adjustable.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or if you can wait a bit of time. See what Trek's big announcement will be on the 19th March. Shame to buy a new full price bike only for them to possibly launch a new one a few weeks later!
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piche wrote:

Don

I spoke to Dan today and I agree. He is a great guy.

That being said, I do not have use for a case and neither bike comes with a case. I believe at one time, the Premier price included a case, but that is no longer the situation with pricing. Now it is an add on option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyDragon wrote:
Piche wrote:

Don

I spoke to Dan today and I agree. He is a great guy.

That being said, I do not have use for a case and neither bike comes with a case. I believe at one time, the Premier price included a case, but that is no longer the situation with pricing. Now it is an add on option.

One consideration that I don't think was mentioned here is where you are located. The difference between dedicated fitters and many bicycle shop fitters can be significant. You can get a better fit and neutral recommendations for the bike size and models that work best for your fit, without worry that something in stock is being pushed your way. It is always surprising that the cost of many top fitters isn't much different than what LBS fitters charge.

I also agree that you can go wrong with the SC or Premier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been following the tactical closely recently. Last I knew it was a complete package with Di2, power meter, race wheels, and case. I can understand making some of those things optional I guess but I assume the pricing was reduced appropriately. If so I would expect the tactical to be a good bit less expensive than the Trek.

JerseyDragon wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed One vs Premium Tactical 2.0 [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes- we reduced the price on the website in September 2018 when we made those two items optional.

Many athletes were trying to compare our bike to others - so we got a lot of questions like “what’s the price without X, Y and Z. Usually that was Hard Travel Case, Power Meter and sometimes Wheels.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [JerseyDragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a wrong choice.

I wanted the Premier but they weren’t going to be available in time for when I was bike shopping a couple of years ago.

I ended up on a SC. It’s an amazing bike. Zero regrets. If I crashed it tomorrow and had to get a new one I’d consider either another SC or the Premier.

Both have massively wide fit adjustability. As others have said fitter is talking nonsense when he’s guaranteeing fit in SC but maybe not the Premier.

But at the end of the day they’re both awesome and there isn’t a wrong choice.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK Speed Concept vs Premier Tactical 2.0 [JerseyDragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyDragon wrote:
crash test data

I'm pretty sure no one publicly releases any sort of crash test data. You are dealing with a salesman, not just a fitter. He's clearly biased towards Trek, likely because he gets a cut of the sale. Both bikes are great, but I wouldn't let his opinion sway you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next