Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike!
Quote | Reply
I still have one, 3 fastest IMC splits came on it. But TJ (sadly not w/ Specialized anymore) is rolling one. Are new bikes really faster? (pink font:)

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops,
My personal best splits were fastest on my Zipp. That would not be close to what TJs rockin'. But maybe my 650c wheels were holding me back :)
TP
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pictures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fastest 10 mi TT at the Charlotte Motor Speedway TT (26.54mph avg) was on a Softride Powerwing 650, with an LG Rocket Air helmet, Spinergy rev-x wheels, some swimming jammers for bike shorts, and a Budweiser cycling jersey. I was 16 at the time, riding about 10mi/week, and I had just learned how to make a bike go fast. I went back 2 years later on a brand new Cervelo P2C, same helmet, different race kit, stock wheels, and was about 15sec slower. I'm not so consistent that I can say that either bike was really slowing me down, so as always I'd say it's really more about what you do with the bike. The more comfortable you are, the faster you'll go. I've currently got a saddle sore that is doing its best to unseat me from my bike. Any ideas on that btw?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
draw-out salve. a rite-aid or cvs pharmacy should have it. smells and looks like tar but it works like a charm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were not for the fact that repairing or servicing that beam would be next to impossible I would snag a Zipp. Loved my Softride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did some training with Cliff English's group in Tucson this winter and spoke briefly about the bike with TJ. I thought it was an old one but, its slightly different. He said he wanted to work with a company that is going to allow him to help them design the bike. He's a very smart guy and I'm sure Zipp and him are going to do great things.

Justin Harris

Follow me at http://www.justinjharris.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [jutnut627] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool....please tell us that Zipp will bring back the beam bike (Zipp2001). Sadly the UCI rule killed Softride (I wish their marketing department was smart enough to overcome the irrelevance of the UCI rule about double diamond bikes when applied to triathletes....). I really think that Beam bikes are awesome. My fastest Ironman Canada and Wildflower times were done in 1995 and 1996 on my old Softride Powerwing (aluminium double diamond bike with beam)....to this day, after all the cool bikes, I have never been on a bike that consistently descended the same hills on my ride routes that fast. My Kestrel Airfoil pro provides some semblance of the same comfort, but with all the carbon technology we have today, I think there is an opportunity to bring back seat tube-less, seat stay-less designs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see a picture of TJ's winning bike if anyone can track one down. I know what a Zipp 2001 looks like, but would like to see his race setup.

To the previous poster, beam bikes are coming back. There's the Pearson Z1 and that Cycpro thingie, they both look pretty mad. And there's always Titanflex and the BP stealth (not a beam bike, but it looks cool)

http://www.tririg.com/...p?id=1017_pearson_z1

http://www.tririg.com/...d=2011_04_Cycpro_Ai4

http://www.titanflexbikes.com/

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is his setup from earlier this year on Mt. Lemmon:

Quote | Reply
It looks like TJ has lowered his arms a bit. Looks less cramped.
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tj's bike at Eagleman:

Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate but the photo isn't showing :-(

Thanks to the other chap for the photo from Lemmon too. Much appreciated.

He seems like an intersting guy, Tollakson, lots of outside the box thinking.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Tried deleting images only account and still not working let me see if I can copy and paste.
Not working Sorry

Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Tried deleting images only account and still not working let me see if I can copy and paste.
Not working Sorry

http://www.tinypic.com

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is great, but...What happens if he crashes and damages the frame? I hope he has a backup ready or another bike available.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomP_imc wrote:
I still have one, 3 fastest IMC splits came on it. But TJ (sadly not w/ Specialized anymore) is rolling one. Are new bikes really faster? (pink font:)

Tom

Why did TJ break up with Specialized
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [Livestrong191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he is an engineer and interested i having design input on the bikes he is riding. specialized might be a bad fit for him since they already have MIT studs on staff.

Maybe orbea should give him a call!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoise peterson bikes look sick. I bet they super expensive
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could this be the start of some Pros seeking out super areo custom ish Tri bikes rather than the main stream?
Would be cool, but i think Pros need money to buy food and would stick with a bigger company that could provided $

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
I think this is great, but...What happens if he crashes and damages the frame? I hope he has a backup ready or another bike available.

Bob

I think he'll be fine if he wrecks it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollackson racing and winning on a Zipp 2001 bike! [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
callendula gel works alright. corticosteroids would be best if you're lance

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far my Trek SC7 and Suplicy Quantum are not any faster than my Zipp 2001 OR Softride Rocket TT, even with the "massive" upgrade to 700c clincher wheels. I don't know that they are faster for more compact riders, but those of us who are long of limb, I believe benefit from the missing frame members. Granted, a PT laced to a Velocity A23 rim with a Wheelbuilder cover is not going to be as fast as a PT laced to a 404 clincher with a cover, but watt for watt there is no advantage to the new stuff that I have purchased. At low yaw I'd wager the P4 is faster, but I think > 5 degrees and the old schoolers would take it.

Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next