Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells...
Quote | Reply
I'm not mad at the bikes owner as we all get to play the way we want to and set our rides up however pleases us. But, a little piece of me still dies inside when I see a weapon not set up to be brought into battle, but as a tool to simply complete the race distance.

It was an olympic and I have no idea how the gentleman did. He had the hottest bike in transition by far! Ride on!
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of the same when I see various people who I know can run and ride super fast but swim like crap, but not because they don't swim enough (they actually swim A LOT), but because they have just a few pretty easily correctible stroke flaws.

And what does their usat-certified online coach say? Who has never seen them swim in person?
"Just swim more."

I rest my case.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kind of the same when I see various people who I know can run and ride super fast but swim like crap, but not because they don't swim enough (they actually swim A LOT), but because they have just a few pretty easily correctible stroke flaws.

And what does their usat-certified online coach say? Who has never seen them swim in person?
"Just swim more."

I rest my case.

By any chance are you a coach?

I swim a lot and am slow

Any chance you are in central FL or I could send you a video of me swimming and you could tell me the couple of things I’m doing wrong so I can get faster?

Happy to pay a fee of course
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you pick up one of the new patient special cards for a free cleaning and x-rays from his transition mat?
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
By any chance are you a coach?

I swim a lot and am slow

Any chance you are in central FL or I could send you a video of me swimming and you could tell me the couple of things I’m doing wrong so I can get faster?

Happy to pay a fee of course

Yes, I actually am a swim technique coach, or at least I play one on TV. Don't live in FL, but would be happy to see your video and assist but there is a limit to what can be seen from a video. However, it is worth it to do this. If you do film, to start, get video from the side/above on both sides, you'll need an assistant to do this. Have your assistant do this when you swim in a wall lane. Would be happy to help you without a fee. Read this, then shoot me a pm for further info.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow VERY kind of you

Will thoroughly read the link
Get videoed
And send you a PM

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they don't like changing flats?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where would the spacers go on a P5X? I thought the aerobars were on a slide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably wasn't their A race. :0)
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bars are on a post setup, no spacers. And I coulda used them Gatorskins this weekend. I hit a rock the size of a small avocado and punctured through the sidewall. Took forever to change the tube - had to really work it to pry that Pirelli off (I had two levers). Had to do it twice too!

I wouldn't recommend a P5X to the masses, regardless of cost. Handling of the bike requires adjustment and time on it to get used to the flow-steer that goes on. Storage is awesome though - I would not have been carrying a spare kit and tube normally, first race with the bike I have to use it :(.

Are most pro's riding or opting for a P5D?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: May 20, 19 22:32
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MCBratcher [ In reply to ]
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [MCBratcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCBratcher wrote:
I don’t ride particularly fast and am 200lbs so the weight of the tire doesn’t add much in comparison.
The issue with Gatorskins isn't the weight (they're actually pretty light for their style of tire), it's the rolling performance. And rolling resistance has a bigger relative impact on the performance of slower riders than faster ones.
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
MCBratcher wrote:
I don’t ride particularly fast and am 200lbs so the weight of the tire doesn’t add much in comparison.

The issue with Gatorskins isn't the weight (they're actually pretty light for their style of tire), it's the rolling performance. And rolling resistance has a bigger relative impact on the performance of slower riders than faster ones.

And anecdotally, the puncture resistance isn't that much better than the 4000s from the stories I've read online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but they were running latex tubes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [MCBratcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCBratcher wrote:
I’m that guy with Gatorskins, albeit not on a super nice bike. I find changing flats very difficult and while I know how I would just as soon try to avoid it. I don’t ride particularly fast and am 200lbs so the weight of the tire doesn’t add much in comparison. Further, during sprints and Olympic races, it takes too long for the length of the race.

So let me sum this up. You’re losing double digit watts because of your tires. You could spend 10 hours improving changing your tire skills and you would save more time than you could improve with extra biking those 10 hours.

Now you’re doing this because sprints and Olympics are too short to risk flatting. So you care about the time enough to worry about flatting, but not enough to put tires on that would make you significantly faster every single time you race and don’t flat. Which is pretty much every race.

Depending on how fast you can change a tire if you practiced 10 hours an extra 15 watts even if you have to change a flat may still be faster than gatorskins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MCBratcher wrote:
I’m that guy with Gatorskins, albeit not on a super nice bike. I find changing flats very difficult and while I know how I would just as soon try to avoid it. I don’t ride particularly fast and am 200lbs so the weight of the tire doesn’t add much in comparison. Further, during sprints and Olympic races, it takes too long for the length of the race.

Dude. You’ve got your priorities all mixed up.

I have a workout that will make your faster than probably an entire season of training. I know I’d be pretty happy to gain 15 watts of FTP this year.

Every week, spend one hour learning to fix flats. First spend an hour watching you tube videos. Then, every week, spend an hour in your garage practicing changing flats quickly and efficiently. Switch to GP5000 tires, which are pretty damn flat resistant anyhow.

I’d be willing to bet, that even if you did this for a whole season at the expense of 1 hour of riding each week, you’d be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the original....it's like the dudes who have a Colnago, Emonda, or Pinarello with 6 spacers and a 15 degree stem. Totally defeats the areo design of the frame because their belly is so big they can't slam it.
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any luck with your swim video?

--
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yes, but they were running latex tubes.
Haha you beat me to it...
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDavis wrote:
Back to the original....it's like the dudes who have a Colnago, Emonda, or Pinarello with 6 spacers and a 15 degree stem. Totally defeats the areo design of the frame because their belly is so big they can't slam it.

Hey, those guys keep R&A in business! You see them in Central Park riding at 13mph. Full Assos kit too.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
The bars are on a post setup, no spacers. And I coulda used them Gatorskins this weekend. I hit a rock the size of a small avocado and punctured through the sidewall. Took forever to change the tube - had to really work it to pry that Pirelli off (I had two levers). Had to do it twice too!

I wouldn't recommend a P5X to the masses, regardless of cost. Handling of the bike requires adjustment and time on it to get used to the flow-steer that goes on. Storage is awesome though - I would not have been carrying a spare kit and tube normally, first race with the bike I have to use it :(.

Are most pro's riding or opting for a P5D?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by flow-steer.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by flow-steer.

Sure - it feels like the air flow coming off the back of the front wheel then over the "blade" or wing section of the bike, wants to stay in a connected stream.

Therefore when the wheel needs to move (left or right) there is a pull to stay in-line with the frame. The faster you go the more pronounced it is.

It's pretty subtle though, not something that I was really thinking about in my last race.
On that bike leg it was so up and down with trying to stay out of danger, rough spots or pot holes, etc.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half my instagram is bikes set up in weird, non aerodynamic, often unsafe ways.
Have 2-3 more pics to post from Vic 70.3 including a pro's bike!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: TFW you see a P5X in transition with 5 inches of spacers and Gatorskin Hardshells... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been enjoying following you for those pictures haha. That p4 could have been so slick and then they slapped two Co2 cannisters and a tube off the top tube dangling like truck-nuts or something, among other aero sins. Expose the pro bike though!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply