Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TDF Physiological stats
Quote | Reply
Rider stats

After the medical examinations were carried out over the past two days, the Tour organisers issued the physiological statistics of all 188 riders. The maxima, minima and means are as follows:

Lowest resting heart rate: Santiago Perez (Phonak) - 31 bpm
Largest respiratory capacity: Mikel Astarloza (Ag2r) - 7.98 litres
Lightest rider: Alexandre Botcharov (Credit Agricole) - 54.5 kg
Heaviest rider: Magnus Backstedt (Alessio-Bianchi) - 98 kg
Shortest rider: Samuel Dumoulin (Ag2r) - 1.58 m
Tallest rider: Guillaume Auger (RAGT) - 1.96 m
Youngest rider: Filippo Pozzato (Fassa Bortolo) - 22 years
Oldest rider: Viatcheslav Ekimov (US Postal Service) - 38 years
Average height: 1.79 m
Average weight: 69.9 kg
Average respiratory capacity: 5.74 litres
Average blood pressure: 122/69 mm Hg
Average resting heart rate: 51 bpm

7.98L lung capacity? OMG that is over 75% more than me!
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty interesting. Its funny a couple of weeks ago there was a thread on resting heart rates. You had many posting in the low 30's and a couple in the the 20's. I thought that was bullshit,now seeing what the avg of a tour rider I know it was
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Kenney, I think those that said they were in the 20's must have meant their AGE was in the 20's. Or, they were only counting for 30 seconds ;)

The arrhythmias that would occur at those low rates could be dangerous...maybe even spawning clot formation in the atria unless they were at least mildly anticoagulated (a term I really hate...more accurate to say that they have to have at least a slightly prolonged time, compared to normal, before clot formation occurs in vivo).

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't post in the HR thread because I felt like a loser coming in at 50-53 for my resting HR, maybe I'm not in such bad company after all . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curiuos...........What is your profession. With reading your posts after a couple of years....your vocabulary.....and knowledge in terms and physiology(sp?) By the way, I did finish CDA and your advice a couple of months ago was very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. Cardiac physiology dogma states the intrinsic ventricular Purkinje rate is 15-40 bpm -- at least it did when I was in school. I don't have any experience in the cardiac physiology of athletes, but I guess the adaptation to endurance training must also ensure the intrinsic Purkinje pacemaker remains lower than the RHR to stay suppressed by the SA nodal rate. Otherwise, I don't think the heart would be an effective pump due to A-V dissociation and the ventricles doing their own thing independent of the atria. Can anyone confirm this (or refute it)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish this were converted to non-metric so that I could understand them better. Also isn't resting heart rate best tested as soon as you first wake up. Surely they were just sitting and totally awake. That might change the results a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing that is shocking me is that Magnus Backstedt is 216lbs (98kg). Seeing that I had to look him up to see how tall he is. At 6'4" (1.93m), the 216lbs fits better but I didn't think there were any Tour riders this big.

Russ
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [Your Name Here] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that guy is a hammer too. Winning the big one Paris/Rob this year, and he climbs well enough to finish the tour, right Cipo?
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney, I'm delighted that I helped in any way in your recent IM finish, congratulations to you! The thing I do that puts money in the bank is called perfusion, which is basically operation of various cardiopulmonary-related life support/assist systems and required anesthesia while being supported, as well as intra-operative blood loss recovery techniques...you could say I do plumbing/ventilation/temperature management of the body. Perfusionists also do some isolated limb cancer therapy in some centers. The thing that is most fun is stopping the heart for surgery upon it...I do that for free...although I charge to start it back up ;) I enjoy the work, but I hate being on call almost all my life. Some day, I hope to "retire" to some sports-related field.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt the average resting HR is that high. The riders were probably nervous and that pushes it right up (your HR that is).
Quote Reply
Re: TDF Physiological stats [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I didn't post in the HR thread because I felt like a loser coming in at 50-53 for my resting HR, maybe I'm not in such bad company after all . . .[/reply]

Yes, but you aren't worried about getting caught in the drug control. Both the HR and BP seem high to me. I believe the numbers from the late 90's were both lower - maybe they are getting worried. On the other hand the BP could be high because of loading up plasma volume to stay under the 50 HCT limit.
Quote Reply