Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

T1 Wetsuit debate...
Quote | Reply
I have been surfing for 25 years and have seen the wetsuit market change drastically. Besides the quality of neoprene getting better.... One of the best changes was the zipless wetsuit. The freedom in these suits is drastically different for a paddler. Most surfing suits are now made zipperless or 1/4 zips.

So my question is... Can this be the case with a swimming wetsuit (De Soto T1)? How does this suit compare to a QR superfull? Is the zipperless suit the wave of the future?
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [swimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Zipperless is better in my pinion, but is not for everyone.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 zipper, 2 zipper or zipperless wetsuits all can have their purpose... They each have different advantagees and disadvantages. Your post incinuates that only one wetsuit is needed. IMO, This is not true if you want the maximum application of the various wetsuit designs.

Provide they all fit (and that is absolutely crucial and "the" priority), the two extreme designs - 2 zipper and zipperless wetsuits - provide opposite characteristics.

In the case of the 2 zipper, it provides the easiest and fastest removal among all wetsuit designs. While the T1 without zipper is the hardest and not as fast as the 2 zipper design to remove. However, in terms of comfort, the zipperless and two piece design is the most comfortable. While the Piel 2 zippered design is the least comfortable.

As a result, the perfect combination use of wetsuit would be:

For long course triathlons - zipperless wetsuit.

For short course triathlons - 2 zipper designed wetsuits.

BTW, there is a more universally useful designs - it's the partial zipperred T1. I seems to provide a good middleground.

Currently (and for the past 3 yrs), I use this combination:

T1 for Long courses

T1 w/zipper for Oly distances (1 yr. only- new design)

Piel for Sprint distances.

This is what I have found to be the best combination of wetsuit use... I try and use the advantages that each design provides in the context of their design.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Provide they all fit (and that is absolutely crucial and "the" priority), the two extreme designs - 2 zipper and zipperless wetsuits - provide opposite characteristics.
I have a 3 zipper wetsuit...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ProMotion eh??

Is Piel still around? You know it's funny, I've never felt I had a bad race because my wetsuit was sooo hard to take off. I think the talk about a suit being a second faster to take off is a tad on the absurd side.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ProMotion eh??

Is Piel still around? You know it's funny, I've never felt I had a bad race because my wetsuit was sooo hard to take off. I think the talk about a suit being a second faster to take off is a tad on the absurd side.

Actually, a one zipper Aleeda, with a zipper added for each ankle.

As for losing time, I did a race last summer with a good friend who I've never beaten in a race (barring injury and mechanicals). This was a great race for me, as the swim was proportionately long, and I'm a much better swimmer. Darned if I couldn't free up the velcro at the neck, and ended up standing next to my bike struggling. Kevin's first transition was :36 faster than mine; he beat me by :26.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"he beat me by :26"

...slacker...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Removal speed may be over rated... but, I can take it off on the run... the removal time is zero seconds... and the distance gained is about 4-5 yrds... that's about it... nothing spectacular.

But, it fits and it easy to get off without stopping or slowing down...so, I wear it for sprints.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Apr 5, 05 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really rate my T1 (even if I am the only guy on a start line in silver !). I wouldn't say it faster getting off although FOR ME its definetly faster in the water. Like bikes try before you buy.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends, for some reason I can't stand, I mean can't stand my Desoto Tres wetsuit. It's fitted right, I can get it off reasonably fast but thought the flexibility was terrible. Now other Desoto stuff is great, but the wetsuit...

Now I have a QR Superfull and god it's so much nicer and has shoulder mobility on par with wearing nothing at all. This thing is SWEET. Just my experience. I have a couple of friends who love thier Desoto suits.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe thats the differnce btween the Tres and the T1 ? I find the flexibility of the T1 far superior to anything else I've used (and i've had a few over the years).
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit debate... [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe thats the differnce btween the Tres and the T1 ? I find the flexibility of the T1 far superior to anything else I've used (and i've had a few over the years).

I had a T1 for a full season and did not particularily like it. I also didn't find it very hard to get off but it was a few seconds slower than my current Aquaman (I've timed it). For those who think that isn't important ,so be it, but I won a race by 6 seconds once and another by 18 seconds last year.

To claim that the T1 flexibility is "far superior" lacks credibility. I've found the new Aquaman and QR suits to be more flexible than the T1. Also the T1 has an annoying tendency to ride up in the back and chaffe my neck (quite severly on one occasion I forgot bodyglide).

I also find claims that the T1 is faster dubious. I set a PR of 57 flat in the Ironman last year after switching from the T1 to Aquaman and that was with less swim training.

Bottom line, try before you buy. Don't beleive the hype, see for yourself.
Quote Reply