Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
T100 should do 1 race draft legal
Quote | Reply
Ironman won't,but definitely T100 has room to mix up one race. So who would be top performers?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All their races are draft legal. They don’t give penalties for race ranger despite athletes being in the red.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [Kyle.glass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kyle’s not lying, but to answer the spirit of the question I think van Riel would be the current top dog and by the end of the year it would be Hayden Wilde.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ironman won't,but definitely T100 has room to mix up one race. So who would be top performers?

maybe controversial, but i wish they hadn't locked into the 100k format. i like middle-distance as the more exciting option for several years now. but still, i like variety more than homogenization. seeing a full distance, a duathlon, maybe an eliminator sprint, or some more alcatraz/st.croix-style "off-distance" races would be fun. variety is good and it would mean different athletes, gear, and tactics would have the chance to shine.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I suggest you need to broaden the question and make this draft-legal race a T200 to test the 100 minute SC merchants for whom this'd just be a longer blow dry.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree. The distances are all made up anyway so I don’t understand why they are so resistant to races of different lengths. If they want to keep it to a 3 hour broadcast fine, but give us some races with a longer swim or a big climb on the bike or a hilly run. There’s no reason to keep it strictly 2/80/18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle.glass wrote:
All their races are draft legal. They don’t give penalties for race ranger despite athletes being in the red.

chapeau!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle.glass wrote:

The only conclusion I've been able to come to is when they set the draft zone to 20m, what they really meant to do is make that 20-10m zone a "drift zone" for the athletes to move in and out of and as long as they don't start riding inside 10m for extended periods it's not going to be a penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle.glass wrote:

Did we see a lot of red in Miami. No we didn't at all.

Singapore was just a different course, and most of the red we saw was on climbs especially at the beginning of climbs, and sometimes going into U-turns. I agree with the decision to not stick to the 20m rule while climbing. wouldn't make sense at all due to physics or racing a bike.

Singapore is just a course that doesn't allow for strict application of the rules. Doesn't mean it makes for an unfair race. I think it was quite the opposite actually, it was probably easier to race alone in Singapore without having to slow down and lose momentum at the beginning of each climb. I think the problem is that in long course racing (especially Ironman) we lack interesting courses, so the rules are made for flat bike courses. I don't know about you, but I want more bike courses with hills and difficulties.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please.

Sam passed people on hills. Youri made his break away on the hills. They didn't just bunch up going into the hills and turns momentarily.

When I'm racing age group level I have to suck it up and pass big packs when I enter that draft zone.

Ash Gentle even commented on this when she passed India Lee. She said she didn't want to pass as she was struggling, but she entered her draft and had to commit to make the pass anyway.

Don't carry water for the poor officiating and opportunistic decisions by so many of the male racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle.glass wrote:

This is hyperbole. There's a massive difference between 18m and 1m. Synthetic is obviously referring to the latter, which would create a completely different race dynamic
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Kyle.glass wrote:

This is hyperbole. There's a massive difference between 18m and 1m. Synthetic is obviously referring to the latter, which would create a completely different race dynamic

and you fell for it.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha true that!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. USATF puts on their road racing circuit & contests the mile through the marathon. Odd distances. Different courses. It's not a big deal in the sport but T100 could've put out something similar and it would've been a lot of fun. I think triathlon is easier than pure running to be fit (enough) from sprint to ironman.

Do we know the deal with T100 San Francisco? Are they just going to do their normal T100 distances or will be get to see them on the escape course?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Do we know the deal with T100 San Francisco? Are they just going to do their normal T100 distances or will be get to see them on the escape course?
There has been no indication that there will be any variation to the distances.
I have suggested in another thread that the T100 races will launch from the water off the island (but nudged closer to make it 2000m ish), have a small bespoke transition set up in the Chrissy Beach parking, truncated bike loop to the Legion of Honor top (and turn), 6 laps of 13km, then two unequal run laps, the first one the normal one going down to and along the beach and up the 'ladder', and a shorter one (to make 18km, how about to Fort Point!). Logistics may mean they have to have transition even for the T100 races on Marina Green with its long old hike from the beach.
The ferry start, shots with the bridge as backdrop (bike and run) and the Baker Beach sand ladder are all images that I think the producers will want to include. Maybe I'm dreaming (or is that another 'Kona-baby' no-limits thread?)
https://www.escapealcatraztri.com/...formation/the-course
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Kyle.glass wrote:
Singapore was just a different course, and most of the red we saw was on climbs especially at the beginning of climbs, and sometimes going into U-turns. I agree with the decision to not stick to the 20m rule while climbing. wouldn't make sense at all due to physics or racing a bike.

very good point for not having race ranger allowed in any hilly or tight turn race then....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
Kyle.glass wrote:
very good point for not having race ranger allowed in any hilly or tight turn race then....
Have reconstructed who said what.
Race Ranger has three functions:
1) To guide following athletes on within a tight bracket, how far they are behind the rider in front, in particular signalling to them when they have entered the draft zone.
2) To deter athletes from riding too close, from entering the draft zone and not passing, from failing to drop back.
3) To offer assistance to motorefs (and any headshed with eyes on screen who are on the ref comms network) to provide technical measurement of the gap between riders. Refs don't need 'evidence': it remains their subjective judgement whether a drafting offence has been committed (with RR assistance or by 'eye').
Stretch target: Athlete data may offer near real time targeting of athletes who have spent more than 'x'% inside the draft zone (it may be they've spent a long time in the water and have spent many minutes passing loadsa athletes on the road). Post race data may offer targeting for the next race and, if shared, lead to peer pressure among athletes as they reassemble for the next (T100) race, living in the same hotel!
I think the refs in Singapore should have been more robust on drafting (MPro lead pack), not on the climbs, not on just after the descents, not on the approach and exit from turns, but otherwise. Good competent experienced refs, with clear guidance, can execute this well. Some dynamic direction by the head ref may be required in the 110 minutes.
https://www.raceranger.com/
We should next see RR in IM Texas in 5 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
Kyle.glass wrote:

Well that is is the problem. Things bunch up when the road gets steeper. On the flat your 20m behind and 1s. The same 1s on a hill will be about 2m behind.

RR is flawed here. Distance alone doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think drafting should be incorporated too. But ITU has drafting, and it hasn't become a hugely popular spectator sport.

Yep - T100 needs to be a bit more flexible on distance - firstly to make it more interesting and give different athletes a chance to shine and secondly to match the event to the location better.

Some sort of time trial event would also be interesting. Itt has become very engaging in recent years in pro cycling.

I also thing mixing up the order would be interesting, bike- Swim - run... or even swim - bike - swim - run

on the other hand - marathons have mojo because they are a marathon, they are the same every time
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itu not a spectator sport, be sure it's PPV. T100 and ironman are free to view
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garageman wrote:
I think drafting should be incorporated too. But ITU has drafting, and it hasn't become a hugely popular spectator sport.

Yep - T100 needs to be a bit more flexible on distance - firstly to make it more interesting and give different athletes a chance to shine and secondly to match the event to the location better.

Some sort of time trial event would also be interesting. Itt has become very engaging in recent years in pro cycling.

I also thing mixing up the order would be interesting, bike- Swim - run... or even swim - bike - swim - run

on the other hand - marathons have mojo because they are a marathon, they are the same every time

Nope, t100 is 100 don't mix up the format or distances to suit athletes that aren't good enough to win a swim/bike/ run triathlon or it would be Super Tri. Mixing distances and order up randomly can favour certain athletes and in my mind is a bit of a set up for organiser "favorites"to do well.. " he is a weak swimmer so shorten swim", etc...
it's a TRIATHLON, train and race a balanced triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
garageman wrote:

Nope, t100 is 100 don't mix up the format or distances to suit athletes that aren't good enough to win a swim/bike/ run triathlon or it would be Super Tri. Mixing distances and order up randomly can favour certain athletes and in my mind is a bit of a set up for organiser "favorites"to do well.. " he is a weak swimmer so shorten swim", etc...
it's a TRIATHLON, train and race a balanced triathlon.

I agree with this for the most part, however I would allow for flexibility to adapt to the geography, that making sure you make the most of the location. So the 100 could end up being a 2 / 78 / 20 for example in a location with a very hilly bike course where the bike course calls for 78 instead of 80 (i.e. not doing an extra bit just to bet to 80).
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Kyle.glass wrote:

and you fell for it.

How does one "fall for" hyperbole? Maybe you don't know what the word means?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 should do 1 race draft legal [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hypperbole meaning
exaggerated statements or claims that are not meant to be taken literally
and you took them literally
the poster obviously knew that there is a difference between 18 and 1 meter but his point was that there has never a drafting penalty in a pto race. and there 100 percent should have been quite a few .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Itu not a spectator sport, be sure it's PPV. T100 and ironman are free to view

the premier league is pay tv and is globally one of the biggest spectator sports
also pto 100 is pay tv in europe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next