Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching between aluminum and carbon wheels?
Quote | Reply
I've switched between carbon and aluminum rims before and went through the process of changing the brake pads. Not a terribly difficult or laborious process, but I recently changed bikes and the process has become exponentially more time consuming. My new bike (a P5) has the rear brake hidden behind the bottom bracket and swapping out the pads was much more time consuming than anticipated. Are there any ST tricks of the trade that might make this process easier.
I was thinking of just keeping the carbon pads on, but I assume that's not ideal. Any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching between aluminum and carbon wheels? [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't change your pads then you run the risk off ruining your carbon wheels since the brake pads collect tiny pieces of aluminum.

Either continue to change you pads or just keep your carbon wheels on all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Switching between aluminum and carbon wheels? [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, what he said, there is no easy way around this.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Switching between aluminum and carbon wheels? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm aware of the aluminum splinters. I've heard of a few folks sanding there pads and was wondering how that works. I certainly don't want to risk ruining my wheels. I suppose the answer is keep doing it and just get better at swapping them out. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching between aluminum and carbon wheels? [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using dual-purpose pads for over 10 years....never ONCE have I ever had any issue with aluminum fragments, shards, flecks, dust, etc.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it common? Not even close in my experience (and thousands of others).

Get a set of yellow Swiss Stop pads and switch out wheels to your hearts' content.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply