Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming frequency
Quote | Reply
Good morning
My morning are tight for time so my question.
What is more beneficial.
- 4 mornings a week. 1500 metres each.
- 2 evenings a week. 3000 metres each.

I have been swimming in the morning (in and out in 45 minutes) giving myself the evenings for the trainer and running.
Thanks

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming frequency [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not a whole lot of information to make a great decision. Example: we don't know what you're training for. Example: We don't know how good of a swimmer you are. And, swimming isn't the same as running, where you can toss frequency at the problem. It kinda depends on what you're doing with those yards.

Typically, getting in the pool more often is good, since it allows you to do more work. More chances to go hard, recover, and go hard again. But, if you've got a decent base and a decent stroke, a lot of triathletes can do very well in sport on 2 days/ week at 3000 yards.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, of the options listed I would swim 2x 3000 per week, as 1500m workouts don’t leave a lot of room for a main set after getting in a reasonable warmup. But then, if swimming 4x is an option, then I’d find a way to do 2 mornings at 1500 and 2evenings at 3000, and using the other 2 mornings for the run or bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How close is the pool/how much time does a 1500m session take when you include travel, changing, shower etc?

For most people I think 4 short sharp sessions a week would yield greater benefits than 2 longer slower sessions. You can easily get all the aerobic base you need from running and riding which allows more focused and intense swim sessions. The problem with swimming is that it can be super time inefficient due to the logistics involved. Personally a 1500m session takes near enough 1.5 hrs all in whereas a 3000m session is 2hrs all in so its really hard to justify doing short sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming frequency [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on your limited info I'd go 2 x 1500 mornings, and a 3000 evening.

That way you get a longer session and 2 sharp faster ones across a 3 swim week which unless you are pointy end should give some gains.

4 x very rushed mornings also risks missing one or more (it would with me), and a lack of endurance from a longer swim. I need to get in the pool 3 times a week or I lose something from my swimming (even if the swims are longer) so I always aim for 3.

I'm no great swimmer - around 1:05 IM, but first IM was 1:34....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I've considered and experimented with over the years (trying to balance available time with desire to get better).

I'm not sure what your situation is (I'm AOS with very modest progress), but here's what I've seen in my case - better to do less more substantive sessions (e.g.2 x3000) than to go for short and frequent and not make good use of time.

Frequent, short sharp sessions sound great in theory and you can make a lot of progress if you really keep them sharp, which means you have to back off anything else (cycling, running). In my case, unless I back off other things, the reality is I end up doing 1-2 focused sessions anyway and the rest is sort of floating around because I'm too fatigued. Not really a waste of time, but maybe not best use of it either. I've finally settled for mostly 3x week shooting for 1-2 hard sessions (similar to what others are suggesting here). I then up the frequency for a bit if I want a swim focused period.

Takeaway has been: whatever time you have available make it count.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming frequency [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above poster. Generally, I don't think sessions of 1500 will build adequate endurance even at the Olympic swim distance to be able to bike and run with quality after the swim. 3000 for sure is a magic number, 3000 x 3 is really the target if you are planning on being competitive at the amateur level for Olympic distance. You need more if you go up to 70.3 or higher. Might be a good idea to alternate weeks of 4x1500 and 2x3000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For pretty much any sport, it's good workouts 3x a week just to maintain a medium edge. 4x a week to improve or stay pretty sharp. Only 2x a week and you're a dull blade. If you're not satisfied and you're only working out 3x a week, you need 4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:
Good morning
My morning are tight for time so my question.
What is more beneficial.
- 4 mornings a week. 1500 metres each.
- 2 evenings a week. 3000 metres each.

I have been swimming in the morning (in and out in 45 minutes) giving myself the evenings for the trainer and running.
Thanks

Me personally I switched from swimming at 5am 2-3 times a week and doing longer slower sets with a decent amount of kicking to 35 minute swims during lunch, and since switching my swimming has never been better. I know when I get to the pool to get a decent swim in to make it worth my time I have to swim hard the entire time or I'm either not going to get my distance or take way too long of a lunch and piss people off at work.

I've found it's kept me mentally fresher when it comes to swimming, if that makes sense, and since 4-5 times a week now is easier than only 2-3 times not having to get up at 4:30 in the morning.

For the record I'm training for a half right now so if I can get at least 2000y in I'm satisfied.
Last edited by: RayP: Mar 30, 19 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a whole old of information I would swim 4 times a week generally, then move to longer sets approaching races (assuming you are doing 1/2 IM and IM races). Frequency trumps volume - but you will need to build some endurance before your main race of the season.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither of those options are near ideal, so you’re asking for advice on what’s the best worst option. But the glaringly worst option of the two is 2x3000m. I would swim 4x1500m. Consistency is king. With 2x a week, you won’t see much improvement. Also, swimming in the evening, after you’ve done other training/worked, will make improving difficult too. Improvement in the swim is the most impacted by fatigue of the three disciplines.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do 4 x 1500m and come up with sets that build the warmup into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would vote for the 4 times a week. There was a thread around the new year that discussed how to make swimming not suck. Someone posted that they swim 30 minutes a day every day and he had good results, FOP. I can swim 1600 meters in 30 minutes. I can't do it every day but it makes me feel a lot better.

Just make sure to mix it up. Be creative in the 30-45 minutes you swim. If you aren't getting the results you want, go to the twice a week and see what happens.

Good luck!
Quote Reply