Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming and Running Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ?
Quote | Reply
Heading to the area for vacation - any recommendations on places to swim and run? Not sure if biking is possible as I am not taking a bike.

Thanks, John
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Nov 12, 20 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Swim/Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my athletes has done some self guided S/R stuff out at Apache lake and Lake Roosevelt.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Swim/Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Heading to the area for vacation - any recommendations on places to swim and run? Not sure if biking is possible as I am not taking a bike.

Thanks, John

For sure, Bartlett Lake is pretty close and there are great trails along the shore.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Swim & Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh thanks - will be close to that. I was also thinking about any local pools too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with swimming in that area, but perhaps you could drop in at the YMCA? https://valleyymca.org/desert-foothills/

If not, and you can't find a closer pool, the City of Scottsdale has four pools, and the closer ones (McDowell Mtn Ranch and Cactus Pools) are going to be a 20-30 minute drive from where you are: https://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/sports/aquatics

Too bad if you can't bring a road bike - there is excellent road biking in that area.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim & Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Oh thanks - will be close to that. I was also thinking about any local pools too.

Apache and Roosevelt are a long way from Carefree/Cave Creek.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Swim & Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Apache and Roosevelt are a long way from Carefree/Cave Creek.
Oh rats, I was thinking of Bartlett Lake is nearby.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming and Running Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only a half-baked idea: check out hiking/trail maps and guides for the area. Desert running is pretty blissful. I used to just park at a cul-de-sac and start running into a preserve.

This looks to be near cave creek?: https://www.phoenix.gov/...oran-preserve/trails

X2 on Scottsdale pools. Includes a 10 mile greenbelt intersected by a canal trail of many more miles for running.
Last edited by: apmoss: Nov 13, 20 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming and Running Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second this. Google "Brown's Ranch" and there you will find endless trail running possibilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim/Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

For sure, Bartlett Lake is pretty close and there are great trails along the shore.

+1 for Bartlett Lake I was there 3 weeks ago and the swimming and running were good.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim/Run Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely trails at Pima Dynamite and Brown's Ranch: https://http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/...h+Area+Trail+Map.pdf

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming and Running Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

Small world! Michelle (wife) and I are staying in our RV at the Wildcat OHV staging area (intersection of Cave Creek Rd, and Bartlett Dam Rd, by Cave Creek Ranger Station) for a couple weeks in prep for the Bartlett Lake Triathlon, on Nov 22. Not yet canceled! Hoping the socially distanced racing is as well-distanced as touted.

Rattlesnake Cove on Bartlett lake is excellent for swimming if you have a wetsuit. Little chilly for non-wetsuit. ~68-71 degree water temps. 80 and sun all week this week.

Running: anywhere! Broad shoulders on all roads. Bike lanes on many.

Maricopa Trail which heads north from the Wildcat OHV staging area would be a great trail run. Michelle and I rode gravel bikes on it and it was probably more suited to XC MTB or trail running. Very well-marked trail. Super fun.

Rita Hunter has been AMAZINGLY helpful with detailed info about all surrounding areas and outdoor activities. rita.hunter@usda.gov

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Nov 18, 20 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming and Running Opportunities in Carefree/Cave Creek AZ? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic info. Thank you very much!!
Quote Reply