Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear
Quote | Reply
I've been ramping up time in the pool - swimming ~4-5 days a week. My right ear has always been prone to getting water inside. I bought some Speedo ear plugs, I wear a cap, but after 30 minutes, not only do the ear plugs hurt, they don't work. The cap seems to put pressure on the ear plugs in a unconventional angle to where they become ineffective. I ended up getting water in my ears, which I thought would go away the next day (it didn't). So I swam the next day and again the next day until I completely lost hearing in my ear. This lasted for nearly 2 weeks, which I then took a break from swimming and everything has now cleared up.

Question - Should I go see an audiologist and get some custom ear plugs made? I don't mind forking out the $$ if it solves my issue - this was pretty annoying to go through and I'd happily pay $130 for it to never happen again. Or are there other less expensive options that will work that I should give a shot? Silicone or self molding options? Any recommendations appreciated...
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the ear doc and got the custom ones. Love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always get water in my ears if I don't have ear plugs. I just use these and they work very well for me: https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

However, I don't pull my swim cap down completely over my ears because I'm guessing I'll run into a similar problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a drop or two of isopropyl alcohol. Shake each ear first, drop or two, shake again, hit the shower.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use the isopropyl alcohol drops. (You can find them in the ear section at any drugstore.) I’ve never been able to get comfortable with ear plugs, and they always feel like they trap the water rather than keep it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t made any in awhile, but I believe it is a mixture of the alcohol and white vinegar. I wouldn’t just put the alcohol straight in my ear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
I've been ramping up time in the pool - swimming ~4-5 days a week. My right ear has always been prone to getting water inside. I bought some Speedo ear plugs, I wear a cap, but after 30 minutes, not only do the ear plugs hurt, they don't work. The cap seems to put pressure on the ear plugs in a unconventional angle to where they become ineffective. I ended up getting water in my ears, which I thought would go away the next day (it didn't). So I swam the next day and again the next day until I completely lost hearing in my ear. This lasted for nearly 2 weeks, which I then took a break from swimming and everything has now cleared up.

Question - Should I go see an audiologist and get some custom ear plugs made? I don't mind forking out the $$ if it solves my issue - this was pretty annoying to go through and I'd happily pay $130 for it to never happen again. Or are there other less expensive options that will work that I should give a shot? Silicone or self molding options? Any recommendations appreciated...

Having extensive ear problems for the last few years I always caution people on ear plugs. Swimmer's ear IMHO usually comes from a break in the soft lining within the ear and that lets bacteria in. IMHO those ear plugs themselves, along with q-tips in the ear canal, can damage that sensitive lining leading to more cases of swimmer's ear. If you have water in the ears I would work towards getting it out post swim. As far as ear plugs go without going custom, I have found that these Mack's Aquablocks work best for me in terms of keeping water out. I swam in 85-95 degree water in the summer in FL with Mack's and never got swimmer's ear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jan 13, 19 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will 2nd the alcohol drops, only do them after shower and you have used a tissue to finger dry them first. I dont think the hour in the water is the problem, but the 5 hours later when there is still water in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earol Swim With Tea Tree Oil as a preventative. Spray in ear before swimming and it helps keep water from accumulating. Oil-based with tea tree oil to keep bacteria/fungus down. Can also make your own with olive oil and tea tree oil.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GKJB4A0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is exactly what happened. i had water in the ear for a couple days and it built up after consecutive swim days. using the typical ear plugs each swim in addition to q-tips and my finger had damaged the skin lining to where the ear was throbbing, inflamed and just closed up. i feel like those traditional deep plug style ear plugs that I had been using will continue to do the same.

https://www.amazon.com/...9116963806&psc=1

i did buy ear drops from the drug store. it was too late when I started using it as the damage was already done. when i used the drops, it was a burning feeling in the ear, very uncomfortable.

so i guess my only dilemma is: would custom ear plugs do a better job of preventing water in the ears. sounds like using ear drops will be something I will have to use after each swim anyway, but I know for sure I can't get away without ear plugs and solely relying on ear drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love swimming ear plugs. I've been swim recreationally for about 12 years and just started swimming with ear plugs 2 years ago. I really like Mack's. I can't imagine swimming without now. I swam IMFL this past year with them. 10/10 would buy again!
Last edited by: Towjoe: Jan 12, 19 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear ear plugs, for years now, and have only gotten an ear infection once (unrelated to swimming).. If I don't wear them, it takes DAYS to get the water out of my ears and it starts to hurt.

Have you tried different ear plugs? I'd do that before getting custom ones made... there are only two that work for me, Speedo Biofuse and another pair from TYR or Zoggs which has multiple rings like Biofuse. When inserting them, make sure they are securely in the ears (but not too deeply inserted too, that will hurt...) otherwise water will seep in. I always rinse off the ear plugs with soapy water after every swim.

I've tried the other Speedo ones and the moulded silicon plugs don't work for me. I always pull my swim cap over my ears but I don't need to do this to keep the water out.. the two ear plugs I mentioned above does the trick for me.

I know someone who uses the liquids to clear his ears out but he always still gets ear infections.
Last edited by: snail: Jan 14, 19 21:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use https://swimears.com...pricey but if you are in the pool 3-4 times per week and then doing outdoor swimming its worth it. They also allow you to actually hear what's going on around you which is great. I can hear instructions from the lifeguard at the pool ...thats kinda important.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had great luck with Doc’s Proplugs.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Macs. Super soft silicone “trees”. You can also trim the stem so the cap won’t press on them.

You can usually find them online or at Target/Walmart/CVS.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
casper3043 wrote:

Having extensive ear problems for the last few years I always caution people on ear plugs. Swimmer's ear IMHO usually comes from a break in the soft lining within the ear and that lets bacteria in. IMHO those ear plugs themselves, along with q-tips in the ear canal, can damage that sensitive lining leading to more cases of swimmer's ear. If you have water in the ears I would work towards getting it out post-swim. As far as ear plugs go without going custom, I have found that these Mack's Aquablocks work best for me in terms of keeping water out. I swam in 85-95 degree water in the summer in FL with Mack's and never got swimmer's ear.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use these. Cheap, fit/feel great. Work well.

https://www.amazon.com/...-r6AL&ref=plSrch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Mac's Christmas tree ones for 15 years with great success. If I have to wear a cap, I just don't pull it over my ears. As someone mentioned, you can probably trim the stumps if you want to pull the cap down.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dakg wrote:
I also use the isopropyl alcohol drops. (You can find them in the ear section at any drugstore.) I’ve never been able to get comfortable with ear plugs, and they always feel like they trap the water rather than keep it out.

This. I tried ear plugs and they were very disconcerting and made me feel dizzy in the pool. I drip a couple of drops of the ear drops into each ear after I take a shower and have not had an ear infection in nearly a year. Prior to using them I had multiple ear infections.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, all I had to do was finally listen to common sense and medical advice and stop sticking q-tips in my ears. No more swimmer's ear since.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the ear drops. I've been using them since I was kid and had a series of issues. Never had a problem since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on alcohol in the ears after swimming.

I swam all my life, throughout high school and college and never had a problem, and never wore ear plugs.

When my college team would take a training trip to FL over Christmas break, we all used alcohol in our ears. We used an old 'honey bear' bottle with the pointy tip.

There are 2 points about the alcohol. 1: you are trying to displace any water in your ear with the alcohol, and then the alcohol will evaporate faster/easier. 2: It will kill any starting infections.

Nowadays, I can just shake my head and dislodge any water that is in my ears. You shouldn't have any water in your ears for more than 10 minutes after swimming/showering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Mack's and they didn't stay in for me. I found these work really well. As long as I don't take them out during a 45 minute swim my ears stay dry, even if I forget a swim cap. If I have to take them out and put them back in, sometimes there is ingress.

https://www.amazon.com/TYR-Silicone-Molded-Plugs-Clear/dp/B008VGVL9E/ref=asc_df_B008VGVL9E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312062015750&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11476387784112541172&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052387&hvtargid=pla-521644274579&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Ear Plugs - Prevent Swimmers Ear [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those are the exact same plugs that haven't worked for me and cause me discomfort over a long swim period 45+ minutes. do you wear these with a cap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Mack's Aquablock for around 5 years without issue. I don't swim with a cap, though. When I do need a cap (during a race) I don't pull the cap over my ears.

Each ear is different, though. If you can't get it figured out then I'd go custom ear plug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally I don't wear them with a cap, but I have before without issue, as long as the cap isn't super tight. I know they don't work for everyone. I'd go custom if they don't work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next