Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming: About that hip rotation thing....
Quote | Reply
I'll be the first to admit I'm horridly impatient on certain things. I am expecting too much progress too soon , but that's beside the point.

I'm a commited shoulder rotator. I have been focusing heavily on swimming from my hips, but it just doesn't happen. Whenever I "pretend" to begin the stroke from my hips, I usually end up flaring my feet really wide and wallow over to the other side.

How do you do it? What kind of drills should I be thinking of doing? Should I just shut up and JFS? Don't be shy.

Short info: 2nd year swimming earnestly (probably more appropriately first year, but I "swam" last year also)

Can do 15x100's on 1:45 (usually 1:35's w/ 10s rest)

With the craziness of classes this term, I'm getting about 15k in a week--would like to double it.

Goal is to swim a 22:30 Oly by May. Willing to throw other sports by the wayside to do so, as 2006 is set as a skills year.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming: About that hip rotation thing.... [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel

For some drills and an explanation try:

http://h2oustonswims.org/

Go to "Articles"

Then find "Bottom up Swimming" articles.

This is the site of Emmett Hines who seems to know a bit although no two swim coaches will agree on all points.

Cheers

Vernon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're earnest enough, you might consider coming down to Islamorada, FL for a training camp/ perfect vacation. We video tape your strokes (under water and above water), and you sit down with Olympian swimmers Gary Hall Jr. and Jon Olsen. They use Dartswim stroke analysis to show you what you are doing wrong. You then spend the week working on drills to improve your technique. Not to mention the fact you get to stay at the world-renowned Cheeca Lodge & Spa. It's a vacation ideal for athletes! Check it out at www.theraceclub.net

...under camps and clinics. Hope to see you in FL! You would definitely work out your rotation problem- I can guarantee that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That kind of impatiency makes you no different than other 99% of triathletes who are trying to improve their swimming so don't worry. Be patient. lol

The hip rotation is one of the most (if not the most) important features of a good body position so you should first focus on that and then you think about the rest.

Ever heard of a drill called "Belly" ? SAC would give you lots of that to improve in your swimming. Also, kicking on the side also helps. In fact, I've been working on this last drill myself since I saw Chris McCormack doing it in Kona's pool just days prior to the IM. ;)

Good luck and.. patience my friend, patience..

edit: I didn't actually see him doing it. I've heard...

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Nov 5, 05 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming: About that hip rotation thing.... [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Describe the "Belly" drill.

Quote | Reply
I first must say without watching you swim drills can be difficult to indentify. It's definately not a one drill fits all approach. However, I would recommend the following drills.

Kicking on side, single are free with opposite arm at your side, 6 kick free, arms at side belly breathing drill

These are just a few drills that work for the athletes I coach. Working on efficiency this time of year needs to be a priority, not how many yds you swim per workout.

Good luck!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming: About that hip rotation thing.... [bebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're earnest enough, you might consider coming down to Islamorada, FL for a training camp/ perfect vacation. We video tape your strokes (under water and above water), and you sit down with Olympian swimmers Gary Hall Jr. and Jon Olsen. They use Dartswim stroke analysis to show you what you are doing wrong. You then spend the week working on drills to improve your technique. Not to mention the fact you get to stay at the world-renowned Cheeca Lodge & Spa. It's a vacation ideal for athletes! Check it out at www.theraceclub.net

...under camps and clinics. Hope to see you in FL! You would definitely work out your rotation problem- I can guarantee that :)
Now THAT sounds awesome!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming: About that hip rotation thing.... [TRI4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. By the sounds of it, I've been doing those drills already. I suppose it means I need to slow down and focus a bit more heavily on doing these correctly and forgetting about hammering until later.

Patience? Patience? Who said anything about patience.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply