Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim question - snake in the water
Quote | Reply
Before everyone assumes this is another thread by a rock pleading for help - I'm not that crappy in the water (20:30 for 1500m SC), but I have this naggning problem that I can't seem to fix and I think I can be swimming a lot faster if it were for this.

When I swim my ass moves around like a snake (or so my coach tells me). I know the typical reason for this is hands crossing the middle line, but that's not the case with me (if anything my pull is too much to the side and my elbows are too far from my body).

My coach tells me the following:
  • Hand recovery is too stiff. Loosen up and imagine your arm is only from the shoulder to your elbow. That's the part that does the real propelling work underwater, with your hand and fingers only catching the water, and they should be really loose above water (just throw them forward).
  • Strengthen abs and lowerback.
  • While swimming try to concentrate on keeping your ass stabilized by compressing it and your lower abs.

Basically my problem is my ass is too loose (ladys it isn't really!). It floats in the water and moves around. I don't really have a strong kick so that could be a factor too.

If I try to squeeze my ass while swimming it seems to lessen the 'snake', but I find it hard to roll and do the little kicking I do do.

Doug Stern, desert dude, anyone else, you have any suggestions or ideas on how to stop this?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim question - snake in the water [Snapple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try pulling your navel up to your spine while swimming. Also are you sure your hands are not crossing? If not what about your pull, is it crossing under the center line somewhere? What is your head doing? Are you moving it side to side or rotating it too breathe?

edit - are you tossing your hands out to the side causing rotation even though they are goinginto the water and not crossing, similiar to a wide flat recovery with hands entering too far outside?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 16, 05 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try swimming after inserting a butt plug... this is not nearly as bad as it sounds. at most sex shops they have all different sizes so you don't have to start with one like the ones you see on xxxx videos. having the butt plug in there will cause the spincter muscles to contract involuntarily and this should keep your butt in place without you having to consciously think about it all the time. the only prob is that your butt will start getting used to it and you will occasionally have to trade up to the next size... but this is the price we pay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing - I swim better with a pullbouy.

edit: looks like this forum has a few comedians..
Last edited by: Snapple: Oct 16, 05 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: Swim question - snake in the water [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"edit - are you tossing your hands out to the side causing rotation even though they are goinginto the water and not crossing, similiar to a wide flat recovery with hands entering too far outside"

That sounds like that could be it. I think this relates to the 'recovery too stiff' my coach talks about.

The thing he works with us the most is 'closing your armpit'. When your hand enters the water you rotate your body so that your armpit is facing inward and not outward. This comes from the shoulders, but he says that whole body including your hips should rotate as one unit. When I try to hold my ass this rotation seems harder to do.
Last edited by: Snapple: Oct 16, 05 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
think about pulling your hand out of the pocket of your pants to start your recovery. this enables you to set up a high elbow recovery, it's a bit hard to swing wide and flat when your elbow is high, then just throw your hand forward not side ways to set up your entry. If you enter too wide, you have to bring your stroke in which could cause the snaking.

As for Kdawg, who it seems has a thing for butt plugs, just squeezing your butt together doesn't provide the stability that sucking your navel in will have. To test this, insert your favorite toy, then have someone push you on the back while you squeeze it up, you'll bend at the waist - which may be what your after but I digress. Now just contract your stomach then have someone push you on the back and if you keep your stomach tight you'll need to step forward.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has your coach mentioned anything about being disjointed in your body turn between your hips and shoulders? If one rotates out of synch with the other it can make your butt wiggle (or do the Cha-Cha as I heard it described by top caliber swim coach). The fix was some drills on body rotation with arms at your side. You'll quickly figure out if your rotation is off (one side is usually better than the other) and you'll find out if core strength is a limiter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone that replied, I'll test those things at the pool today.

The thing with the pullbouy though, is my coach says when I use it I automatically tighten my ass/midsection because the pullbouy makes it float up.

And desert dude wouldn't sucking my navel in restrict my breathing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, it shouldn't. Your not trying to be a boa constrictor. Think tension instead of tightness. Although when swimming just think tension.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 17, 05 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks desert dude =)

So what's with the pullbouy thing? Usually people swim better with a pullbouy because they have a bad body position and their legs and ass sink, but I'm the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim question - snake in the water [kdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
try swimming after inserting a butt plug
please tell me you are kidding...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim question - snake in the water [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snapple,

i think you've got a timing issue while rolling yoru hips in the water. i.e. your hips aren't rolling in sync w/ your shoulders and arm pull. when you have a pull buouy (sp?) then you don't rotate as much, and the snake leaves you alone.

bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find a pull bouy stunts my hip rotation a bit - which may be what accounts for the fix when you are using it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basically if it is a timing problem, you need to initiate hip roll with the catch. A good drill is snapping te hips as soon as your hand enters the water. It actually brings hip rotation before the catch, but if your late it will probably work out to where your on time. FWIW, i have a late hip roll and no wiggle.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was about swimming with snakes in the water. Fiddlesticks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim question - snake in the water [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Snapple,

Keep in mind that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you can get videotaped it would be very helpful. Play it back a single frame at a time. when you see your hips going lateral notice what else is happening at the same time. The sequence will keep repeating itself. Action-reaction.

Wide arm recovery - hip, head off axis-hip, arm crossing over-hip, etc.

DougStern
Quote Reply