Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim Cord Workouts
Quote | Reply
With our pools being closed for the foreseeable future, I decided to create an 8-week swim cord program for anyone that wants it. I had a lot of people asking me to help with swim cord sessions, so I decided to just put something more formal together. And it's free. This program is designed in a way that will not only activate your major swimming muscles, but also strengthen those muscles. Follow this link and use the code FREEPLAN. Training Peaks wouldn't let me put the price at $0, hence the code. I also took some time to put together a series of swim cord instructional videos. I know that most people aren't used to these types of workouts, so hopefully these videos can help. If you have any questions about the swim cord program, comment below and I will try to get back to you ASAP. I am also hosting live swim cord workouts on Thursday nights at 7:30pm EST from the Peak Athletic Colletive Facebook Page. Check out the replays for the last three live swim cord workouts. I've also been involved in a bunch of pro chats and virtual happy hours with companies in the industry.
Last edited by: ajbaucco: Apr 10, 20 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [ajbaucco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks AJ!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the videos are super useful. thank you so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome thanks! my stretchcodz came in the mail yesterday so this is perfect timing

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really great! thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are all very welcome! If anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not looking forward to it, but need to do it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't say these are the most fun workouts, but the time passes pretty quick. Marty, you should join the live swim cord workout on Thursday night if it isn't too late. I add some core work work into these to make them a little bit harder and longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

What height(s) do you recommend mounting stretch cords? (I look forward to watching the videos after work!)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you have access to and how flexible you are. I have them mounted about waist height because all I could find was a railing. That forces me to bend more at the hips, which isn't a huge deal for me. Ideally, they would be mounted a bit higher though. I think I would like them closer to my height. Then I wouldn't have to bend at the waist as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I’ve done enough shoulder rehab I have anchor points at waist, shoulder and right above my head on the wall in the basement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I've had cords but have been slack on doing stuff with them. I'm blown by what you put together... workouts in TP with videos, suggestions, etc. you really thought of everything!

Monday workout is done... all ready for tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy that they are getting some good use! Took me a weekend to put together, but I am more time with this whole quarantine thing haha. Seemed like a lot of people needed the guidance as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first set of resistance bands for home exercises to 'swim' during these crazy times just arrived. Stumbled upon your post, work-out program, and videos here. To echo what others have already said, thank you so much for doing this! I'll be following the program for the next 8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [tall_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck and feel free to hit me with questions! None of us were really ready to only swim cords to maintain swim fitness, but it is definitely better than doing nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding the 180s really challenging - brain fizzles out lol. Any tips?

Also, thank you for doing this; I haven't really used cords before so the structure and videos are a great resource.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That movement is definitely a weird one since you're almost doing the stroke backwards and forwards at the same time. The key is going back to catch position and the better you get at it, the more you can focus on getting that vertical forearm. If you haven't, check out the video I did on that one which is linked in the original post I believe. I would practice that movement very slowly and deliberately until you get better at it. It is definitely the toughest one but I think it helps the most with developing early vertical forearm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AJ, all this is great! Thanks for putting this together. What sort of flexibility exercise do you recommend to help get that early catch? I really notice my lack of shoulder/scap/lat mobility when doing the 180 and can't get that far out in front of my head with a vertical forearm.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just work with the range of motion you have now and slowly try to develop more mobility through the swim cord movements. I would even recommend practicing these movements in front of a mirror without the cords!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t checked these workouts, but I’m curious as to your opinion on the “exergenie” in lieu of stretch cords. I’ve used a vasa, stretch cords, and now the exergenie. To me, the exergenie seems to be the best as to “feel” while not being as expensive as a vasa.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the first video today- it was great! Thank you!

If we usually swim with a s shaped stroke- should we be doing an s with the cords? That’s what I used to do decades ago - but watching your video on my tiny phone screen it looks like you are using a pretty straight stroke.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a thought. If it is possible, would it not make sense to attach to ceiling so the entire body has the same orientation as in the water (instead of bending at the waist) ? I am thinking I can do that in my garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of the Exergenie. Can you post a link? The Vasa is pretty awesome, but it is definitely an expensive piece of equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "S" stroke is a bit old school and isn't taught as much anymore. I think using the cords for a few focused weeks is a good way to slowly move away from the "S" stroke. Imagine your body is rotated 45 degrees in the water. You want your catch and pull to happen all underneath your armpit. That will generate the most power.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cord Workouts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never attached it to something that high, but I have definitely seen guys like Andy Potts attach it to something above his head. He still bends a bit at the waist, but not nearly as much. Personally, I would like mine attached way higher, but I have them around a railing in my basement right now. I need to find a better spot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next