Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOLY CRAP!!! Milak completely destroyed Phelps' 200 fly WR, goes sub 1:51!!

that's a record I did not expect to see challenged this year. Wow, just wow.....

https://twitter.com/.../1153997444574826497

edit - I might have to switch to Arena suits... top 3 guys all wear them....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 24, 19 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Caeleb split 49.33 on the mixed medley relay (obv with a flying start). Phelps' 100 fly record is looking more and more likely to go down too.

At least his 400IM record is safe, for now....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turned it on just in time for the swim off - that was fascinating! I love (watching) swim offs, and ya this one felt like there was some pre-planning!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's interesting is that their semi-final splits were actually closer together across the board than their swim-off splits.

Semis: .15 .29 .16 .00
H-2-H: .37 .28 (.33) .13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
And Caeleb split 49.33 on the mixed medley relay (obv with a flying start). Phelps' 100 fly record is looking more and more likely to go down too.
At least his 400IM record is safe, for now....

Ironic that he hated swimming the 4 IM yet it may well be his longest lasting record. Also, I think Cate Campbell's 51.10 to catch Simone is probably the fastest women's 100 LCM split ever. Her catching Manuel after starting 1.25 sec behind was a Lezakian feat. I'm surprised no Aussies have pointed this out yet. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
I think Cate Campbell's 51.10 to catch Simone is probably the fastest women's 100 LCM split ever. Her catching Manuel after starting 1.25 sec behind was a Lezakian feat. I'm surprised no Aussies have pointed this out yet. :)

It was a phenomenal swim by Campbell. Still shouldn't have been enough to win. Simone was both ~1/2 second slower than she split in the W4x100FR, & fairly slow off the blocks. Campbell made up 2/10ths just on the exchange.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 24, 19 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
I think Cate Campbell's 51.10 to catch Simone is probably the fastest women's 100 LCM split ever. Her catching Manuel after starting 1.25 sec behind was a Lezakian feat. I'm surprised no Aussies have pointed this out yet. :)

It was a phenomenal swim by Campbell. Still shouldn't have been enough to win. Simone was both ~1/2 second slower than she split in the W4x100FR, & fairly slow off the blocks. Campbell made up 2/10ths just on the exchange.

Can't really fault Simone too much though. Better to be a little conservative than risk getting the DQ. I don't imagine they've had a lot of practice on the mixed relay exchanges, and Dressel will have a faster touch than she's used to from the women.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Can't really fault Simone too much though. Better to be a little conservative than risk getting the DQ. I don't imagine they've had a lot of practice on the mixed relay exchanges, and Dressel will have a faster touch than she's used to from the women.

You're right, not trying to put it all on Simone. 52.low is what you typically get from her, and the R/T wasn't horrible. Nothing in that relay was all that bad, but only Dressel really seemed to be completely sharp. Murphy was faster than in the 100 back, but still .6 off his best. Lilly King only matched her flat-start time with a relay exchange, but she wasn't swimming at the front in clean water like she usually is. Overall, USA was a little short of perfect, and Australia capitalized. Good on them.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 24, 19 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you have a video from the race.
NBC commentators are not sure what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQPBhj7gHR4
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Shorter version.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Rowdy Gaines.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
I love Rowdy Gaines.

It is cool that, after all these years, Rowdy still gets super excited about swimming. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
I love Rowdy Gaines.

It is cool that, after all these years, Rowdy still gets super excited about swimming. :)

So true; he's a real gem and fun to listen to...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
I love Rowdy Gaines.

Geiger is breathing to his LEFT, he has NO IDEA that Jason is moving up on him in lane 3!!!!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
I love Rowdy Gaines.

Geiger is breathing to his LEFT, he has NO IDEA that Jason is moving up on him in lane 3!!!!!

LOL! How'd you know I breathe to my left?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shocks keep coming. Lilly King DQ'd in the 200 breast prelim for "non-simultaneous touch" at the 50 turn. Also, reigning Olympic Gold Medalist Penny Oleksiak is a healthy scratch from the 100 free.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That’s all....

Correction, now SwimSwam is reporting that Caeleb went 46.96 in the final. Chalmers was only 0.12 behind for the silver

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 25, 19 4:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The shocks keep coming. Lilly King DQ'd in the 200 breast prelim for "non-simultaneous touch" at the 50 turn. Also, reigning Olympic Gold Medalist Penny Oleksiak is a healthy scratch from the 100 free.

Hope there were no children within earshot of her when she learned of her DQ. Sheesh, woman has a mouth that would make a truck driver blush.

ETA: Dressel.. so close! Fastest "unassisted" swim ever. And Chalmers right behind him, hopefully they both stay on form through to next summer, it will be the race of the Games.
Last edited by: ripple: Jul 25, 19 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
gary p wrote:
Hope there were no children within earshot of her when she learned of her DQ. Sheesh, woman has a mouth that would make a truck driver blush.

Cody Miller really needs to do an “outtakes” video of Lilly’s potty mouth. That would be hilarious!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
gary p wrote:

ETA: Dressel.. so close! Fastest "unassisted" swim ever. And Chalmers right behind him, hopefully they both stay on form through to next summer, it will be the race of the Games.

Yup, and don’t forget Blake Pieroni who went 47.8 in the final, just off the podium. The way he’s improving his 100 gives him a good shot at a medal next year.

The USA coaching staff have an interesting decision to make on the 4x1 medley, who to swim on the free leg? Do you give the finals spot to an on-fire Pieroni, or to Mr. Consistent, even though he has limited training time due to illness?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But you forgot about Zach Apple, who split a 46 earlier in the week. Not a decision I'd envy. I'm guessing Apple gets Prelims and a Peroni goes in Finals.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ripple wrote:
gary p wrote:

Yup, and don’t forget Blake Pieroni who went 47.8 in the final, just off the podium. The way he’s improving his 100 gives him a good shot at a medal next year.

The USA coaching staff have an interesting decision to make on the 4x1 medley, who to swim on the free leg? Do you give the finals spot to an on-fire Pieroni, or to Mr. Consistent, even though he has limited training time due to illness?

If you look at the 4x1 splits, it should be Apple or Pieroni if you really want to start looking forward (and win now). Apple is young, and he dropped an incredible split. Pieroni should split faster based on his flat start performance in the 100m final. I wouldn't argue with giving it to Adrian though, he's earned the right to swim it and himself had a 47-flat split. It's a tough call. If they're all going to be within .1 or .2 of each other at day's end you play the political game and let Adrian have it. It could be a whole different picture by Tokyo.
Last edited by: ripple: Jul 25, 19 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
But you forgot about Zach Apple, who split a 46 earlier in the week. Not a decision I'd envy. I'm guessing Apple gets Prelims and a Peroni goes in Finals.

It's a good position to be in...

I didn't forget Apple, exactly. I'm just assuming that Blake would get the nod since he's swimming the individual and swam well. The big question mark is Nathan Adrian, IMO.

Big difference from 4 years ago when Adrian was holding down the fort on his own... Now the USA's gap is at the 200 distance.

How about the women's 4x2? Break the WR and still get silver!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't have asked for anything more from the USA Ladies, the Aussies were just a smidge better. Hell of a race.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Championship Meet thread - 2019 edition - WUGs, Worlds. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Couldn't have asked for anything more from the USA Ladies

Maybe a better split on Manuel's first 50m?
Quote Reply

Prev Next