Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swelling?
Quote | Reply
I have noticed over the last few days that I seem a bit swollen. My wedding band normally is about to fall off my finger, but it is now tight. While this isn't an issue as of now, I am wondering if I should be concerned. I am drinking upwards of a 100oz of water a day (not forced, I just like it), but have started to push my training, especially the running over the last two weeks.

It if helps, I live in the North Texas area. While it has be very hot this year, the heat has not really bothered me and I have done lots of long rides in the heat with no signs of swelling until now.

Should I be worried or just keep at it?

Thanks,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [Infinity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drinking all that plain H2O might be leaching electrolytes...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I didn't yesterday, most days I will also have a gatoraid while or shortly after training.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am having the same problem (but was attributing it to being female!). So, I did a quick Google and there is lots of information about water retention, over-hydration and not enough salt intake.

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I were surprised to find that edema (swelling) during an IronMan can be the result of hyponatremia (low cellular salt). We had always thought that too much salt would be a prime cause of edema. If a cell's sodium level gets too low, they actively move water to the interstitial(sp?) fluid to maintain their Na concentration. The fluid pumped out of the cells cause the swelling. My wife experienced swelling during her first 3 IronMan competitions when she did not take extra sodium but not during the last 2 when she did consume extra sodium. So perhaps you are slightly hyponatremic and your cells are guarding their reserves. I have often had edema headaches post long ride when I rehydrated but did not re-sodium.

Just a thought,

SciGuy

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need all that water. You are likely hyponatremic because of it and retaining all kinds of extra fluid. Just drink when you are thirsty. Drinking before you are thirsty is the biggest myth in endurance sports.

Read this entire thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC

and this one

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20to%20death;#39144

Lots of good discussion on the topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is all very interesting. I drink about 100ml of H2O a day b/c I have been trying to keep my pee clear. I have also been retaining H2O like crazy. I thought this was b/c I was getting too much sodium, but I couldn't figure out how since I eat a generally low-sodium diet. I have been so sluggish lately and thought well, maybe I am dehydrated. Maybe it is b/c of too much H2O. I am not doing IM-distance training, but I workout between 2 -3 hours a day and I sweat a lot in general (if I think about excercise I start to sweat!), so I have been hydrating like crazy. I'll have to work on adding more sodium to my diet, but my question is how do you know when you reach a good balance?

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not trying to drink lots of water because I think I need to. It started with me not wanting to drink sodas and now I just always seem to have a water bottle on hand and enjoy a nice cold glass of water.

I have the same question as monterey, how do you know when you have a good balance? Besides the swelling, I have no other side effects (no headaches and I am not any more tired than I have been considering my training and schedule).

Thanks all for the help!

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its funny, but the days that I have a good training session are the days that I am less hydrated/not retaining H2O. I drink H2O like crazy after my workout and then the next day I feel like shit, am retaining H2O, sluggish, headache, etc...I always attributed my good workout to having been well hydrated. Then, I'd attribute my crappy next day to having allowed myself to get dehydrated. Apparently I may have it backwards. I hope so b/c I can't imagine drinking even more water. I have always functioned a little better when I am slightly dehydrated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drinking that much water could be screwing with your electrolytes, even if you are drinking some gatorade too. Maybe try drinking a little less overall but making more of what you drink something besides water?

As far as finding that balance of how much to drink, I've heard/read to aim for urine that's pale yellow. Clear isn't always good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is all very interesting. I drink about 100ml of H2O a day b/c I have been trying to keep my pee clear.

If you can keep your pee clear off of 100ml of H20 a day I'd say you weigh in the neighborhood of...oh...about 2-3 lbs? I'll have to put down in the neighborhood of around 5,000-7,000ml of fluid a day to be slightly over-hydrated, although I do sweat quite a bt.

I know, I know, you meant 100oz right? I'll agree with dev, drink when you are thirsty and don't be overly afraid of a little sodium here and there.
Quote Reply
Re: Swelling? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you can keep your pee clear off of 100ml of H20 a day I'd say you weigh in the neighborhood of...oh...about 2-3 lbs?
LOL!!! Yes, I meant oz not ml.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't minimize the effects of the weather. North Texas has been hot, but it hasn't been raining, at least according to my parents' reports. Lately that has changed, right? You may indeed have a water/electrolyte balance issue, but that might not be the only variable. Swelling in 97 degree heat with 90% humidity isn't that uncommon.
Quote Reply