Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sweetspot Workout Lactate Questions
Quote | Reply
Just getting back into regular training after moving the family almost 1000 miles across the country. Also moved from sea level to 7400 feet altitude so im still getting acclimatized.

I just did a 2 hour ride 6x10 minutes at about 90% of ftp. HR was below threshold by 6-8 beats for the intervals and the effort felt about right for historic sweetspot intervals. I checked lactate on 2,4,6 intervals and they were 4.6, 4.4, 5.0

I haven’t don’t a “ftp” test or lactate protocol in about 18 months…

For sweetspot efforts lasting 10-20 minutes would you expect lactate to be under 3.5? What would you suggest doing going forward? Lower FTP and redo the workout trying to target 3.5? Or do a ftp test/lactate step test to determine lt1/lt2?

Anything else I’m forgetting?

Mission Kona Podcast
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2568182
Kona 2024 Qualifier
Quote Reply
Re: Sweetspot Workout Lactate Questions [PayneM85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing a lactate ramp test will get you a good idea of where your current thresholds are. It can also give you a good idea of where to focus based on your goals and current weakpoints. Idk how long you were away from training but big shifts in your lactate/power curve are possible after just a few weeks off from training.

Sea level to 7000ft is almost certainly going to increase your lactate levels at all but the lowest intensity, at least until your body acclimates. Less air=less aerobic contribution=more anaerobic contribution=more lactate produced.

4.0mmol is a nice number to know but may not be your LT2 or "maximum lactate steady state". Some guys can hold 5-6mmol steady and some guys only 2-3. Just depends on your physiology and training history. You can get a close guess at this on a ramp test looking at the inflection point.

IMO if you have a lactate meter there's not much point in doing FTP tests. You have a known power curve that you can use to define workouts and zones, that's miles better than just assuming you fit into the same zones as the average cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd worry less about lactate and be satisfied with the workout given your RPE correlated well. I definitely wouldn't try and target a specific lactate number unless you have historical data showing 3.5 is correct for you, as it is both highly personal and dependent on training status.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolute lactate values are very individual and even sport specific. My LT2 values on the bike are always around 4.5+mmol, so I’d expect around 4.0 for sweet spot. My LT2 on the run is ~3.5mmol and usually work on the 3.0 range for similar effort.

You really need to do a lactate ramp test (multiple over time) to really dial in your individual zones. It could be that FTP is set to high or just as likely that you are in the correct zone.
Quote Reply