Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supercompensation time period
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
What are the time periods of different physiological systems (rebuild muscle fiber, building mitochondria, capillaries, increased oxygen carrying capacity, etc.) I know that traditionally the body takes two weeks to adapt to a training load, but how does this break down to individual components? What are the longest cycles? How can we apply this to stress/recover period length?
Thanks!
-Alon L.
Quote Reply
Re: Supercompensation time period [bikealnite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
individual variation. past training loads, what the acute load that was performed, etc.

Also, even at the highest levels it's still a poorly understood concept and tends to be a bit of an enigma. Some folks will get lucky with back to back racing and contribute it to super comp. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a reason that the supercompensation graphs never showtimes on the x axis, cause it is very nearly unusably fuzzy.

As you correctly ascertain you have lactate levels, hormone levels, some structural repairs possibly needed - and all of that is integrated into the time it takes for you to recover and then get faster from a given workout.

Banister modeling and the PMC chart are related to the idea of supercompensation and sort of take an overall average in a way. Banister modeling averages across systems to get a time for performance to change, PMC time factors are averages across sports and systems.

In the end I don't think you will find much fruit on this tree. As Marky V points out, it is harder to parse out than a few introductory articles on supercompensation would make it appear. And in addition, when you cross training domains, the time factors change. So whatever the time for supercompensation is when you are doing your normal 8 hours per week schedule; it is different when you ramp it up to 14 hours per week.

Though if you look on scihub or google scholar for time to return to lactate baseline levels, you'll get some information, time to return cortisol levels to baseline, time effect of training on heart rate variability will also bring up some newer data, muscle damage markers should also get you somewhere.

If it were me I'd be using the terms "does response" or "temporal response" in my searches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elon,

Jan Olbrecht's book, The Science of Winning, discusses super compensation in its first chapter. This chapter is free on line on our website.

http://www.lactate.com/sciwin_ch01.html

Also we have a series of animations on the various types of super compensation and their time periods on our website.

http://bit.ly/2JXAvM2

This may not explain all of your questions but may be helpful.

----------------------

Jerry Cosgrove

Sports Resource Group
http://www.lactate.com
https://twitter.com/@LactatedotCom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is actually quite a bit of information out there. You likely won't find it using the term "supercompensation", though, since historically that hasn't been how training has been described by scientists.

For training, search for studies by Pette, Holloszy, etc.

For detraining, start with Ed Coyle's classical detraining study.

Ignore the Banister model in this context...there is no logical connection between the time constants of the model and any physiological response.

TL,DR: the body adapts incredibly rapidly to increases in physical activity, far more quickly than most people realize. As the saying goes, however, Rome wasn't built in a day, i.e., it can take some time before all of these little "baby steps" add up to result in a noticeable increase in performance. This often leaves people with the impression that the rate of adaptation is much slower than it really is.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Apr 18, 18 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Supercompensation time period [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

For detraining, start with Ed Coyle's classical detraining study.

That was always pleasing to read.
Quote Reply