Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
dalava wrote:
First off, this thread is totally useless without pictures ;)

Second, here we are, bunch of guys, assuming that the female triathletes wearing swim suit style tri suit are being objectified, but do you really know how they feel? How about ask them and see what they say?

From a sample of one here, my daughter races USTA youth elite, and during all the races last, she had the choice of wearing either, she preferred the swim suit style up to sprint distance.

I think you are missing my point. How would you have felt if your daughter's preferred choice was shorts because she felt objectified wearing a swimsuit, but her only option was a swim suit? In ITU they have a choice. It appears that in SuperLeague they only gave a very narrow exception.I have no idea which women feel objectified wearing the swimsuit and which ones don't care. But they made an exception for the woman from the middle east due to religious purposes, which suggests to me that there is clearly some segment of women that don't want to wear a bathing suit for reasons other than comfort.

As far as hearing from more woman, I'm all for it.In fact, I think some of the comments on this thread might be from some woman.

To be honest, it gets SO so old hearing from some folks, who, IMO, just seem to enjoy spending their entire lifes playing the victim card.
Life is just way too short, smell the roses.

Well, as a late 50s male I certainly am in no position to call myself a victim of sexism, and I've put myself in an odd position of being the resident ST feminist on this thread. Hoping some woman can chime in. Perhaps I have been overly critical on this matter.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
dalava wrote:
First off, this thread is totally useless without pictures ;)

Second, here we are, bunch of guys, assuming that the female triathletes wearing swim suit style tri suit are being objectified, but do you really know how they feel? How about ask them and see what they say?

From a sample of one here, my daughter races USTA youth elite, and during all the races last, she had the choice of wearing either, she preferred the swim suit style up to sprint distance.

I think you are missing my point. How would you have felt if your daughter's preferred choice was shorts because she felt objectified wearing a swimsuit, but her only option was a swim suit? In ITU they have a choice. It appears that in SuperLeague they only gave a very narrow exception.I have no idea which women feel objectified wearing the swimsuit and which ones don't care. But they made an exception for the woman from the middle east due to religious purposes, which suggests to me that there is clearly some segment of women that don't want to wear a bathing suit for reasons other than comfort.

As far as hearing from more woman, I'm all for it.In fact, I think some of the comments on this thread might be from some woman.

To be honest, it gets SO so old hearing from some folks, who, IMO, just seem to enjoy spending their entire lifes playing the victim card.
Life is just way too short, smell the roses.

Well, as a late 50s male I certainly am in no position to call myself a victim of sexism, and I've put myself in an odd position of being the resident ST feminist on this thread. Hoping some woman can chime in. Perhaps I have been overly critical on this matter.

I could spend all day playing the victim card on how ST allows folks to be attacked.

I could play the card that since I have the guts to ask questions I get attack and say victim.

I could play the card I get weird looks because I am tall, old and skinny.

Lots of ways, if I want to waste my life, I could worry about what others do and how they act.

Nay, life is way too short to worry about folks like that.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some pics of elite female athletes wearing outfits that are similar to the swimsuit style. Did someone force them to wear those outfits or was it their choice? Who knows but it is certainly possible they CHOSE to wear what they did for performance reasons.

2017 Boston Marathon https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/...8&h=1&crop=1

2017 ITU Worlds https://photos.smugmug.com/...D4%20DSC_6045_-L.jpg

And women are not the only ones who have chosen to wear "high-cut" apparel to race:
Mark Allen https://static1.squarespace.com/...9807558/?format=750w
Faris Al-Sultan http://www.slowtwitch.com/...gest_Faris4_2006.jpg

Your post jumps to conclusions, provides few facts to support your argument, and hurts legitimate claims of sex bias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad you are speaking out on this subject. I read this thread yesterday and honestly as a women, I was so disgusted by some comments (comparing showing your ass on TV to men wearing sleeve and having to adjust to that or not having as many viewers if lady had worn pants instead of swimsuit...) on here I chose to refrain from commenting. It's very unfortunate the ladies weren't allowed to choose which outfit they would wear and I hope this changes in the future because the concept of the event is great and I hope it stays around. I am very disappointed by everybody on this thread commenting on these athlete's asses instead of their talent, it's 2017 people come on...
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were so disgusted that you chose to refrain from commenting and now you're commenting? I'm very disappointed in you commenting on the comments of the hot athlete's asses. Shame on you...shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First we complain that there is no women's race. Then we complain about what they're wearing. CLASSIC

Mark Kolding - Rookie Pro 2019 Blog
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [lilmuncher14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilmuncher14 wrote:
First we complain that there is no women's race. Then we complain about what they're wearing. CLASSIC

I was thinking the same thing. Some will never be happy

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
lilmuncher14 wrote:

Pretty amazing attitude, "Wear what we tell you and just be glad you have a race".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're also racist because they didn't invite Max Fennell to race.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
lilmuncher14 wrote:

Pretty amazing attitude, "Wear what we tell you and just be glad you have a race".

If you not like the business rules, start your own business

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
lilmuncher14 wrote:

I believe that Sameera Al Bitar was wearing an alternate kit that the other athletes did not wear. Perhaps the other female athletes selected from multiple options and opted for kits they wore.

EDIT: I confirmed on her facebook page. Yes she wore a kit similar to that the men wore. So clearly there is an option for another kit.

Additionally, I have attached some photos for your review. She is wearing a kit with a cut out back in the Olympics and during training. So I am not sure if she is wearing the men's style kit because of a religious exemption. Though I could be wrong.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Oct 12, 17 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
It's very unfortunate the ladies weren't allowed to choose which outfit they would wear and I hope this changes in the future

Yes very unfortunate. Would you be able to link or explain where that info came from?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it in a twitter thread where some athlete racing got involved but don't remember which one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
I read it in a twitter thread where some athlete racing got involved but don't remember which one.

Ahh, Twitter! ;)

So, it is possible that the suits were designed by a female with other females, chosen by the majority of females and that's how it became the female uniform? With one or two preferring shorts and not getting the vote? I mean, that may not be the case but it doesn't seem to be an option that has been ruled out yet and the female contingent in ITU are pretty on top of the high cut suits given a choice in that format.

I think the uniforms look pretty slick on TV. They may have had more (or even some) complaints with shorts but all shorts would have looked just as good.

Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Oct 12, 17 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given they didn't even let women race the first time do you really think they let them pick their race kit?

But hypothetically, yes it's possible that happen just as it's possible they chose the race kit for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
Given they didn't even let women race the first time do you really think they let them pick their race kit?

I don't know if they did. I think it's very possible they would. Even more possible given the added attention their previous decision gave them.

I think if a charge is serious, then the allegation should not be throwaway. If sexism is really bad (absolutely agreed) then accusing someone of it - with the serious consequences and 'mud sticking' that such an accusation entails - should be done with a little more insight than reading a post on Twitter or similar (not that you did the accusing but same theory applies to OP).

Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Oct 12, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah note that in none of my post did I accuse anyone of being sexist. I think people were clear that the thread title should have been a question vs a statement and I'm not going to go down that road. You are right, maybe they were allowed, maybe not and I shouldn't have assumed based on info from an athlete on twitter.

What matters to me is that the kit seem more viewer friendly than racer friendly. As a female PhD engineering student, I know it's hard, even in 2017, for female to be recognized for our talent vs our image so I take these issues to heart. My original comment on this thread was more to denounce the strange comments I read on this thread and I shouldn't have simply assumed about the kits.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
They're also racist because they didn't invite Max Fennell to race.

There's literally no Asians either. RACISM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure, the thread didn't get off to a good start.

But as much a problem as people feel it to levy such a serious charge (what's the penalty for sexism again?), the shame to me is that there's not just a lack of clear info about the situation but lack of clear understanding/definition of the problem (if it there is a problem). There's nothing wrong with people wearing bathing suit bottoms (and I don't think anyone that understands sexism/feminism in 2017 would say there is). There *could* be something wrong with a decision to require every one to wear it (and what could be wrong is just a lack of consideration/thought, or it could be a explicit decision "brand" based on appearances of the women, not just the colors/pattern of uniforms). Understood, there would be more nuanced discussion if it was about how everyone was forced to wear a project rudy wingspan or ride 25mm tires, but still.

And of course, in a thread about sexism, a woman posts and someone posts a d!ck response ridiculing her not for what she said but that she said it at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next