Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

"People can get hurt or killed very easily in packed surf lineups, especially in heavy surf, especially by outsiders not familiar with the surf zone. Surfing can be an extremely dangerous situation, much like having a newbie riding in a tight pro peleton roaring through city traffic. The most dangerous thing in the surf zone is not sharks... it's other people. Tough, experienced, and no bullshit "leaders" of sorts emerge and take over the surf spots and dictate behavior to keep stuff straight. It seems like bullying from the outside, but it's harsh treatment to avoid even harsher consequences. Guys that are naturally mean but do care about the overall good fill the role more often than not, even if they don't know it themselves. When you're dealing with a native pro Hawaiian surfer that other surfers worship, you're most likely dealing with an exceptional alpha athlete that will talk first, ask questions later, but will also probably ask those questions after he's broken your board over his leg and thrown it at you for nearly getting somebody killed out there. Punishment of one by example for threatening the pack is strongly ingrained surf alphas. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, that's just the environment of the home turf Sunny lives in and what personalities it creates."

Well said. Anyone who even lightly follows surfing knows who he is, and his personality.

Please try to understand that it's a different culture out here. Sadly, the rule of law does not always apply, and the law enforcement can be very flexible based upon may factors; longstanding relationships that go back for generations, political factors, business relationships aka money, etc. This leads to a sort of communal policing, where justice is not always carried out by the system. It sounds a bit third world, and it can be at times. Generally though, Hawaiians, and others in Hawaii are extremely forgiving people- more than I've ever seen anywhere else, and sometimes to a fault. But you have to admit what you did, take your punishment, and then its over. When an outsider from another culture decides to do the normal thing for them and lawyer up or "no comment", things are going to go bad, because as I mentioned, the legal system here does not really work. That leads to a frustration when there is no justice. My guess is that we won't see CM on this island again for a long time, and it has nothing to do with any legal investigation. Nothing will come of the investigation, and Sunny already knows it, because he's seen it 1000 times. That explains his post. It's his only recourse. I get it.

As for guilt/innocence, I'll leave that to others. I wasn't there so I can't speak to it, and you were not there either. Just because you like a guy does not mean he is innocent. Just because a guy is a loud mouth a-hole, does not mean he is guilty.

What I said above is based on my 12 years here. You may have a different experience in your home town. Again, try to understand that your cultural/environmental/social influences where you are from are unique to you, the
cultural/environmental/social influences here, or anywhere else for that matter, are different.

Last edited by: mikedrutar: Nov 9, 15 21:47

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [erik haas] [ In reply to ]

erik haas wrote:
zed707 wrote:
Total douchebag move by Garcia to put that out on Instagram. It serves absolutely no purpose as none of us can know really happened at this time. Let the cops do their jobs. If anything it violates the privacy of the alleged victim.

to be fair to Sunny Garcia , Australian media released it way before he said anything , Australian media went a long way further towards identifying the alleged victim by naming her employer as well as other details that could possibly identify them.

It was in the public domain well before Garcia said anything

Out of interest, could you provide a link or the publication that ran this? I didn't see any reporting of it until the ST front page story.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [mikedrutar] [ In reply to ]

I thought Hawaii was in the US

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]

Stevie G wrote:
I thought Hawaii was in the US

If by "in the US" you mean that it's 2500 miles away from the mainland US or any other land mass, with many citizens who remember when it was not part of the US, and a place with 1,000 years of culture and even nationhood before becoming a US state, then yes. Live here a while and then you tell me.

well now there is a sound basis for ignoring the rule of law and just being an alpha male, whether you know the guilt of the other party thats okay

Please read my original post again- it explains that law enforcement/prosecutors ignore the rule of law here. I think you had your mind made up and wanted to make your point, without taking into account what I was trying to explain. Here are 2 examples which may matter to people here. Even though the law in Hawaii says that pedestrian and cyclists fatalities at the hands of motorists require enhancements to vehicular manslaughter charges, we have the following: The last 2 cyclists killed on the island were killed while riding legally on the shoulder, were both run down from behind. One was on the Queen K by an intoxicated driver. No charges. The last one was run down by a police officer, while on duty. He FLED THE SCENE. No charges. I'm simply trying to explain that the way things work where you are, are not the same here. That has led to community policing. If your love one said that someone (and it seems to be out there that this is a sexual assault allegation) sexually assaulted her, and you knew that nothing would happen, no day in court, nothing- what would you do? I'm guessing you would go further than a vague Instagram post, so to that end, what Sunny did as not all that bad. I guarantee you that there will be no trial for CM, and no day in court for the victim. It's difficult to sit here and hear everyone else apply their cultural norms to a place/culture they know nothing about. Aloha.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [Aspo] [ In reply to ]

Aspo wrote:
erik haas wrote:
zed707 wrote:

to be fair to Sunny Garcia , Australian media released it way before he said anything , Australian media went a long way further towards identifying the alleged victim by naming her employer as well as other details that could possibly identify them.

It was in the public domain well before Garcia said anything

Out of interest, could you provide a link or the publication that ran this? I didn't see any reporting of it until the ST front page story.

It was broadcast on Radio Station 2GB during a high profile segment ( 2GB is Australias number 1 rating station apparently) . It was also tweeted by a reporter MarK Levy - you can search his tweets and its still there .

Triathlon Australia also put out a press release about the allegations
at the same time
Last edited by: erik haas: Nov 10, 15 2:34

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]

I would concur. Both Jordan and Dan have been measured, respectful and careful in covering this issue. I wish other media outlets would do the same.

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net

Not really surprised. The same is true with Corsica and France. And it's just 30min away by boat. They sure do things their own way there despite 'being French'.

Stevie G wrote:I thought Hawaii was in the US

If by "in the US" you mean that it's 2500 miles away from the mainland US or any other land mass, with many citizens who remember when it was not part of the US, and a place with 1,000 years of culture and even nationhood before becoming a US state, then yes. Live here a while and then you tell me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In surfing/bodyboarding they list Hawaiian athletes from Hawaii not USA.

2015 APB World Tour | Top Bodyboarders

Men
1. Amaury Lavernhe (Reunion Island)
2. Pierre-Louis Costes (France)
3. Uri Valadao (Brazil)
4. Jared Houston (South Africa)
5. Alex Uranga (Basque Country)
6. Israel Salas (Brazil)
7. Lucas Nogueira (Brazil)
8. Mike Stewart (Hawaii)
9. Magno Passos (Brazil)
10. Eder Luciano (Brazil)
11. Ben Player (Australia)
12. Jacob Romero (Hawaii)

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Nov 10, 15 8:33

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad. [ In reply to ]

Thank you!

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [Power13] [ In reply to ]

Power13 wrote:
BMANX wrote:
I can see how this is going to play out as my family is going through something like this right now and I am not on the accused side of the situation. If this is what I am reading between the lines it is, I hope he gets everything he deserves and has to come back onto US soil to face his victim.

This is the most horrific act that can happen to a female and if I could face my daughters attacker and not go to jail, the world would have one less person to ever do this again.

My sincere, best wishes for your family member. As the father of 3 girls, there is little that frightens me more then them being a victim of such a crime.

That said, I'd gather that many people said things similar to the above about Patrick Kane recently...and look how that case turned out. The accusations should be fully investigated, and if there is merit, Macca should face those charges. We should be careful of assuming guilt or innocence, especially since there has been zero evidence presented at this time. We only know there is an accusation.

But if the charges have merit.....fook him.

As a jurist you need to be EXTREMELY careful. As a random internet poster person, not so much.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]

h2ofun wrote:
Just need to make sure all the facts are know before judgment.

I had my best friend in high school be accused by an ex girlfriend of rape. No fun the stress he had to deal with to prove he was innocent.

Not commenting on this accusation.

If Macca is not willing to disclose all facts and a completely transparent and full explanation of what happened then you are free to make assumptions. Leaving the country and saying nothing is not a good sign at all. I take that into consideration when forming opinions.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [TriZoeTri] [ In reply to ]

TriZoeTri wrote:
Police cannot hold someone if there is no credible evidence. Hence if there was an accusation made yet no evidence to charge then of course Macca could leave the country. This is pretty poor form by Garcia and some may say downright libellous.
I am not writing this as a one eyed Macca fan in any way but as someone that feels people should be treated fairly and we have a justice system in place for a reason.
This is sadly an example of how social media can be a bad thug at times.

Garcia has a direct account of the facts from the alleged victim. Where is Macca's full and complete statement and explanation?

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [ In reply to ]

you will note a lot of recent posts gone. this is already a no-win discussion for everybody, including me, including slowtwitch, and those who've been touched by this topic and even more so by those who are, now, involved or adjacent to this incident. had we wanted to write about this or host this speech on this topic, we'd have done it long before now. there's always a condundrum when speech and behavior rise to a level where it can't be ignored without confusion filling the void the lack of coverage creates. we're filling that void, well or poorly depending on the reader, through editorial and the hosting of speech.

on this forum the attempt is to moderate to the speech down (or up) to a level of civility, and to guard as best we can against misunderstandings between readers that lead to explosive reaction. when good people write things that others interpret badly, bad intentions and motives are ascribed to the author. we end up thinking the worst of each other, because there are no facial gestures or past behavior or a basis of friendship or understanding to act as a damper to words that feel and seem caustic and strident.

hence my rolling back the tape a little on this thread, hoping for a do-over.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [ In reply to ]

So if someone accuses you of something and no charges are laid while you are in that country you should stay in that country until it's resolved? Nuts to that. He didn't flee, he simply left at the end of his trip.

Macca has nothing to be gained by opening his big yap on this topic. For once in his life he's doing the smart thing and keeping quiet.

One thing I love is how innocent until proven guilty is so often tossed out the window. According to a bunch of you Macca is guilty until he proves himself innocent.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?

Stevie G wrote:
just confirming that assault and criminal damage are okay. So next time somebody drafts or blocks, I should trash their bike and punch them out

To confirm...at Pipeline, yes. On your $10k bicycle after a latte break with a group of upwardly mobile business professionals, no.

That clear things up for you?

Something tells me you will not be paddling out at Pipeline anytime soon so I don't think you need to worry about this too much.

I won't be a Pipeline either, for the record.
Last edited by: Jason80134: Nov 10, 15 10:03

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]

Jason80134 wrote:
Where is Macca's full and complete statement and explanation?

Have you asked the police? Why do you feel that Macca should give you a statement or an explanation?

Jason80134 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I had my best friend in high school be accused by an ex girlfriend of rape. No fun the stress he had to deal with to prove he was innocent.

If Macca is not willing to disclose all facts and a completely transparent and full explanation of what happened then you are free to make assumptions. Leaving the country and saying nothing is not a good sign at all. I take that into consideration when forming opinions.

I really don't understand this mindset. At this point, it appears that no one (except Macca and his accuser) really knows what happened. Just because Macca isn't out there pleading his case in the press doesn't make it any more likely that he is guilty. And I really don't understand this notion that once accused, then it is up to the accused to prove their innocence and be "completely transparent" and all that. In this country, it should be the other way around...that someone is innocent until proven guilty. With today's social media, now it's guilty as soon as you are accused.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [BLeP] [ In reply to ]

BLeP wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
Where is Macca's full and complete statement and explanation?

Have you asked the police? Why do you feel that Macca should give you a statement or an explanation?

He is a public person and has been publicly accused. To my knowledge, he has not publicly responded to the accusation. Macca owes me nothing, but I can form opinions without his permission. I'm not a jurist so I can use all kinds of logic and of commons sense to arrive at my opinion of truth, which is an entirely different from a legal definition of guilt....what can be proven in a court of law. And by the way, I don't know enough to form a hard opinion, but I'm leaning towards Macca up to things that were not good for a married man with three kids, to say nothing of violence.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [spot] [ In reply to ]

spot wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I really don't understand this mindset. At this point, it appears that no one (except Macca and his accuser) really knows what happened. Just because Macca isn't out there pleading his case in the press doesn't make it any more likely that he is guilty. And I really don't understand this notion that once accused, then it is up to the accused to prove their innocence and be "completely transparent" and all that. In this country, it should be the other way around...that someone is innocent until proven guilty. With today's social media, now it's guilty as soon as you are accused.

Nobody here is a jurist in this matter. One can use judgement, discernment and experience when forming opinions of truth. This is an entirely different matter vs. being on a jury and forming an opinion on a legal definition of guilt. Two completely different things. In a court you are rightfully innocent until proven guilty and that's a specific definition and standard of both "proven" and "guilt". I'm not in court and would not be able to function in life if I had to make decisions and form opinions using such high standards of proof. I go by judgement, wisdom, discernment, experience, common sense, etc.
Last edited by: Jason80134: Nov 10, 15 10:00

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [BLeP] [ In reply to ]

BLeP wrote:
So if someone accuses you of something and no charges are laid while you are in that country you should stay in that country until it's resolved? Nuts to that. He didn't flee, he simply left at the end of his trip.

Macca has nothing to be gained by opening his big yap on this topic. For once in his life he's doing the smart thing and keeping quiet.

One thing I love is how innocent until proven guilty is so often tossed out the window. According to a bunch of you Macca is guilty until he proves himself innocent.

That's only in a court of law

Jason80134 wrote:
BLeP wrote:

That's only in a court of law

And here you are asking for his account, his explanation. He might have to deal with the court of law so facing the court of public opinion is probably a bad idea.

Believe what you want. He's doing what is smart.

Jason80134 wrote:
spot wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Nobody here is a jurist in this matter. One can use judgement, discernment and experience when forming opinions of truth. This is an entirely different matter vs. being on a jury and forming an opinion on a legal definition of guilt. Two completely different things. In a court you are rightfully innocent until proven guilty and that's a specific definition and standard of both "proven" and "guilt". I'm not in court and would not be able to function in life if I had to make decisions and form opinions using such high standards of proof. I go by judgement, wisdom, discernment, experience, common sense, etc.

I guess what I meant is I don't understand your expectation that he should immediately explain everything to your satisfaction, and if he does not, then in your eyes, that makes him look guilty. I don't believe that expectation shows much judgement, wisdom, discernment, etc.

Re: Sunny Garcia/Macca-sounds pretty bad [spot] [ In reply to ]

About the only thing I learned from this thread is that surfers are violent douchebags and they think they should be praised for it.

Prev Next