Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sunglasses that don't hurt my temple
Quote | Reply
I've been using Roka for a while, but they are a bit tight on my temple and give me a headache after about an hour. I guess I have a big head! The temple tips aren't adjustable to my them a bit wider. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can provide some recommendations for sunglasses that they use? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses that don't hurt my temple [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I've been using Roka for a while, but they are a bit tight on my temple and give me a headache after about an hour. I guess I have a big head! The temple tips aren't adjustable to my them a bit wider. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can provide some recommendations for sunglasses that they use? Thanks!

Try taking then to an optical store. They should be able to adjust them a bit to take the pressure off. Or if your feeling adventurous, use a heat gun to heat the arm and bend them yourself.
Last edited by: s.gentz: May 3, 21 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch be like:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, not with Rokas though, with a few different pairs. If you find a solution let me know - bonus if you can get them prescription!
Last edited by: DOTN_Will: May 3, 21 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

i'm going to write below only about plastic prescription frames. i don't wear aviators, and i don't wear any of the "advanced performance" full wrap lenses.

i'm a big ROKA fan. ROKA is a partner here. that said, i buy my ROKAs off the website, using their customer service, the folks who work in customer service don't know me from adam, i pay regular retail. (same with goggles.)

in my opinion, you have 2 options: eyewear that actually stays on your head as you run and ride, and that does so for months, not weeks. or, glasses that don't stay put.

i have had ROKA konas, bartons, hunters, halseys, and others. some of these frames are heavier. the kona is an example. i have i think 2 konas, and i like them, but they're more robust. thicker temples. they need to grab you pretty good in order to not come off.

but the hunter, this is pretty new i think, this one is pretty light, and they don't need to grab your head quite as ardently. so, you might consider trying a lighter weight ROKA. i get that you don't want to keep going down a road where you have not found ultimate success, but i have had a lot of eyewear from other companies that just don't stay on my head.

so, when mention ROKA, i guess i wonder which ROKA, because that makes a lot of difference.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can think of two options:

Bendable temples, like those found on a bunch of the Rudy Projects.

Lightweight, flexible glasses like the Oakley EVZeroes. The lack of a frame makes for a design that doesn't put much pressure on your temples.

Avoid super stiff frames like the Oakley Jawbones...unless they happen to fit as-is.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 4, 21 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years ago, just to see, I ordered $6.95 glasses from Zenni. Cheapest plastic frames they had. I put $97 worth of prescription lenses in them... progressive trifocal transitions. I wasn't expecting much. I was shocked when I got them. Light as a feather, soft plastic, no PITA nose pieces, I don't even feel them when they are on. Perfect prescription. Fit perfect, stay in place, clear inside, and transition into full blown sunglasses outside. I haven't worn any of my other glasses or sun glasses since. These are my all day everyday glasses, my cycling glasses, and my running glasses. With the progressives, I can see my watch, and I can see distance, which for an old guy, is important on the bike. And one of the best accidental features, is that the smaller basic normal glasses... without the modern wraparound ski goggle fad going on these days, they are airy and ventilated, and absolutely zero overheating and fogging. I should probably update the prescription, and my next pair will be the exact same thing.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: May 4, 21 15:37
Quote Reply