Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis
Quote | Reply
Place: Western Australia
Shortis on sub-eight hour mark!
RACETIME: 07:31
Fans are shouting to Shortis as he is on pace to finish this year's Soul Ironman in under eight hours! Not seeming to falter once on his run, with under 25 minutes left in the race fingers are crossed and a cool breeze seems to be in his favour.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [TheRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where are you viewing the race. Ironman live?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [bbbazza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An age grouper went 4.26 on the bike as well!!!!

Matt Illingworth from Wellington, NZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarghh he didnt quite make it...8:03:57

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
aarghh he didnt quite make it...8:03:57

Still an awfully fast time.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what happened to luke bell?

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [ironboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he pulled out before the 1st half of the bike. Accordingly, he is not recovered from Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is doing this race and seems to have had something go wrong on the run. Maybe it's a glitch in the split info, but looks like conditions were ideal!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt is an age-grouper Triathlete but ex top level cyclist from the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Illingworth was 3rd fastest bike I think At IMNZ (truncated) in march, about 1:30 back of Cam B and Ain A-J. National TT champ, and GB Rep cyclist.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing...Shortis is the most consistent person if you want to bet on a 2:4x run split...what did he do this time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is well known to be short, at least on the run. One of the relay runners did a 2:01 marathon last year, so if it is the same run course it is probably at least two miles short.

Shortening the course to get fast times is a good way for a race to get noticed. As far as I am concerned the 8:00 barrier has never truly been broken, either the courses were short, or the bikers were drafting the the lead vehicles.

Just waiting for the post to tell me to stop being a playa hater. Well there is no Easter Bunny, Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy either.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Dec 3, 06 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what makes you think the course is short? haven't exactly seen a ton of fast run times there. the men were downright slow yesterday.

oh, and the 2:01 relay runner - that was a wheelchair athlete, so not really that big a deal since guys go like 1:30 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it's not short but it is absolutely flat. The only uphill on the course is stepping over the gutter onto the footpath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-Y, If you are referring to McLean's marathon from last year, remember that he is a wheelchair athlete, so sub 2 hrs is not unusual. I recall that he found that a 'hard' marathon last year as it is flat, so no real breaks for the arms. He clocked well under 4 hours for the 2x marathon at Ultraman last week, after finishing over the time limit on the first day (too much climbing for a hand-cycle).

I've not heard from anywhere else that the course is short at IMWA, but that it is FLAT.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy- Sir Isaac Newton.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Amazing...Shortis is the most consistent person if you want to bet on a 2:4x run split...what did he do this time?

Well, I think The Sergio might have something to say about that!

Looks like Shortis went 2:49 and there were only two people under 3 hours for the run (winner of M35-39 being the other).

Great race!

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The course is well known to be short, at least on the run. One of the relay runners did a 2:01 marathon last year, so if it is the same run course it is probably at least two miles short.

Shortening the course to get fast times is a good way for a race to get noticed. As far as I am concerned the 8:00 barrier has never truly been broken, either the courses were short, or the bikers were drafting the the lead vehicles.

Just waiting for the post to tell me to stop being a playa hater. Well there is no Easter Bunny, Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy either.

Hey playa, why ya hatin'?

Yeah, there are short courses out there, but I doubt any major race such as this one would be able to get away with having a run two miles short. In an interview Stadler and Markus Foster said that Roth was about 500m short. At the pointy end of the field, that's less than two minutes.

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I live here and know alot of the guys racing, I have never heard any notion of the run course being short. The bike times were very fast this year as it is the first time it has not been windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triyoda

Where did that come from???

Your so far off the mark it is laughable.

dan
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what makes you think the course is short? haven't exactly seen a ton of fast run times there. the men were downright slow yesterday.

oh, and the 2:01 relay runner - that was a wheelchair athlete, so not really that big a deal since guys go like 1:30 or so.
I didn't realize he was a wheelchair athlete. I didn't think they they would let you use a wheelchair athlete in an open relay, so looking at the results it looks like the course is way short. In the Boston marathon the wheelchair winners usually go about 1:4X, about 20 minutes faster than the open men.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 8hr Ironman coming up - Shortis [dan10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
triyoda

Where did that come from???

Your so far off the mark it is laughable.

dan

That the course is short? Shortis is no better than top 25 in the world at IM distance. If he can win a race that is not short in 8:02, then Stadler and Faris would be fighting to go sub 7:50. Maybe the course is accurate maybe not; it is probably not close to 2 miles short as the results from 2005 originally lead me to believe. As far as the 2:01 there ought to be a disclaimer in the results, as the time is listed as a split for an open relay.

Where my post came from is that everyone is obsessed with IM times. They mean very little to dissect them to the minute (maybe +/- 10 minutes makes a little sense) since courses and conditions vary so much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The really incredible thing about this race yesterday is that 4 age groupers went sub 9 hours and three of them are 44 years old. Holy Moly.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply