Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who?
Quote | Reply
Well here we go..There must be something in the water in Bahrain right now..

Lucy Charles-Barclay and Nicola Spirig to try and break 8hrs and Ali Brownlee and Kristian Blummenfelt to try and break 7hrs.

BRING IT ON!

LUCY CHARLES-BARCLAY AND NICOLA SPIRIG AIM TO GO SUB-8 - Witsup.com
Home — Sub 7 Sub 8

Talking about how the project came about, Alistair Brownlee said:
“We sat around a table after an endurance race in Bahrain discussing the world record times and if they could be beaten. The women thought in the right conditions it was possible to go under 8 hours. I thought I could go sub seven hours. A mix of bravado and competitive instinct kicked in and before we knew it, we had all signed up to the idea of not just attempting to go faster than anyone in history but breaking the mythical 7- and 8-hour barriers.”

...and who better to bring it to us all than Macca

Commenting on the attempt, McCormack, himself a two-time winner of the Ironman World Championship, said:
“The Pho3nix SUB7 and SUB8 project is an example to humankind that all goals – big and small – are worth chasing and encourages young people to use sport to advance themselves for the greater good.”
“Outside of championship racing is where we often see the best competitive moments and records occur. It happened in Roth in 1996 when Germany’s Lothar Leder smashed the magical 8-hour mark in the iron distance for the first time; and we saw it in 2019 when Eliud Kipchoge became the first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours.”
“If Alistair or Kristian broke 7-hours or Nicola or Lucy broke 8-hours, it would elevate these great competitors to rock stars of endurance sport. I really mean that. What they are attempting is almost the perfect multi-sport endurance athletic challenge. The physical brutality is one thing, but the mental anguish and suffering loaded with this, is unheralded. It is truly an attempt to #DefyImpossible. ”

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 26, 21 22:16
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Well here we go..There must be something in the water in Bahrain right now..

Lucy Charles-Barclay and Nicola Spirig to try and break 8hrs and Ali Brownlee and Kristian Blummenfelt to try and break 7hrs.

BRING IT ON!

LUCY CHARLES-BARCLAY AND NICOLA SPIRIG AIM TO GO SUB-8 - Witsup.com
Home — Sub 7 Sub 8

Talking about how the project came about, Alistair Brownlee said:
“We sat around a table after an endurance race in Bahrain discussing the world record times and if they could be beaten. The women thought in the right conditions it was possible to go under 8 hours. I thought I could go sub seven hours. A mix of bravado and competitive instinct kicked in and before we knew it, we had all signed up to the idea of not just attempting to go faster than anyone in history but breaking the mythical 7- and 8-hour barriers.”

...and who better to bring it to us all than Macca

Commenting on the attempt, McCormack, himself a two-time winner of the Ironman World Championship, said:
“The Pho3nix SUB7 and SUB8 project is an example to humankind that all goals – big and small – are worth chasing and encourages young people to use sport to advance themselves for the greater good.”
“Outside of championship racing is where we often see the best competitive moments and records occur. It happened in Roth in 1996 when Germany’s Lothar Leder smashed the magical 8-hour mark in the iron distance for the first time; and we saw it in 2019 when Eliud Kipchoge became the first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours.”
“If Alistair or Kristian broke 7-hours or Nicola or Lucy broke 8-hours, it would elevate these great competitors to rock stars of endurance sport. I really mean that. What they are attempting is almost the perfect multi-sport endurance athletic challenge. The physical brutality is one thing, but the mental anguish and suffering loaded with this, is unheralded. It is truly an attempt to #DefyImpossible. ”

Eliud Kipchoge never broke 2 hrs.

But sure, inaccurate/false smack talk is ok to get a couple more instaviews.

They are gonna succeed the same way Kipchoge successfully broke 2hrs.

Unless they cheat, of course.
Which Kipchoge in the eyes of purity did too.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 26, 21 23:25
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Eliud Kipchoge never broke 2 hrs.

But sure, inaccurate/false smack talk is ok to get a couple more instaviews.

They are gonna success the same way Kipchoge successfully broke 2hrs.

Unless they cheat, of course.
Which Kipchoge in the eyes of purity did too.

Every time I start thinking that I must be the grumpiest,most jaded old fucker here on ST someone like you posts and shows me I still have some way to go to claim that title...

Some more Sub7/Sub8 media whoring for you to enjoy...

>

Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40/3:50/2:27 with transitions?

lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank You.

I got my fill for now.
Don’t want to lose that Cabernet the wrong end (it’s good).

I’ll ping you for a reference!
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 26, 21 23:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Kipchoge as an modest athlete is phenomenal.
Nike as a corporation, not so much.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 26, 21 23:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spirig has a better chance of doing it than LCB but I think Ryf has a better chance than both.

Would be a fantastic race if they had Paula F and Lisa Norden in there.

Frodeno has the best chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
Spirig has a better chance of doing it than LCB but I think Ryf has a better chance than both.

It isn't going to be a conventional race,it is going to be an assisted TT match race challenge similar the Sub2 marathon with pacers on each leg to get them holding the times required. One on one men's and women's race.

The athletes chosen are either already part of or, I imagine ,will be joining the Pho3nix Foundation Team and I don't think Ryf or Frodeno will be joining them.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 27, 21 1:39
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:

let's say it different: Frodeno and any human at this world can go sub 7. unless they use a motorbike.
how would you assign the splits in the 3 legs to make sub 7?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
SheTries wrote:

let's say it different: Frodeno and any human at this world can go sub 7. unless they use a motorbike.

It is all there in the media profiles but for your reading pleasure here is Kristian to give you his ideas of how it may be possible..
KRISTIAN BLUMMENFELT — Sub 7 Sub 8

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 27, 21 1:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
SheTries wrote:

It is all there in the media profiles but for your reading pleasure here is Kristian to give you his ideas of how it may be possible..
KRISTIAN BLUMMENFELT — Sub 7 Sub 8

We haven’t dug too deep into the numbers yet, but just to break the seven hours, it takes at least a 45-minute swim, 3:45 bike and finishing off with a 2:30 marathon. This is even without taking the transitions in consideration.

if you think this is possible, INCLUDING transitions, it is fine for me.
for me it is impossible at present time, without drafting, without water current and without having a downhill marathon. and also without having a car in front for drafting
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The transitions can be cut down to very little by simply having the bikes 5 yards from the water exit, and run shoes etc 2 yards from the T2 dismount line.
No half mile run around the houses that you get in a regular transition.

The bike leg ? Draft legal ? Team time trial style with the key athlete half a dozen people back never doing a turn ? That'll save a lot of time and energy. Feed stations from moving cars so as not needing to slow for a second.
And a net downhill course obvs !

Oh - and make the course short like IM seem to think is OK !!
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Jan 27, 21 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setting myself a reminder to come back and see what kind of a sh$$show this thread becomes when Talbot and Halvard drop in with their hot takes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is cool.
I loved the sub2 race.
This is something similar.

It is already on the webpage of one of Norway's largest broadcaster.
https://www.tv2.no/sport/11909097/

All publicity for the sport is good.
(but some will always be grumpy and say everything was better before........)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
This is cool.
I loved the sub2 race.

Yes people here will be grumpy, mainly because none of the ST favourites have been included and it will be seen to be flying in the face of "real" Ironman racing.The thing is that Ironman already refuse to accept the male and female fastest Iron distance times from Roth and like to pretend that they never happened,That is sad and fucking petty from my point of view.

The money behind these people(with Macca involved as well) will also piss the hard core Ironman cult crowd because Ironman is supposed to be the big deal in the sport but the PTO, The Bahrain Endurance 13,Super League and now the Pho3nix Foundation (cue MacGyver) are now showing that there is more to the corporate side of triathlon than the crappy VIP tent at Ironman races.I remember telling Michael Brown of MB Sports that he had hit the big time when he hooked up with Super League,making his experiences in Western Canada look small time. He agreed.

What will also happen I imagine is that the athletes who are in Kona this year,five months before the Sub7/Sub8 Challenge, will be super fit with an extra dollar incentive going into Kona knowing that Kona isn't the end of their season,the Sub Challenges are.That for my mind makes then even more dangerous in Hawaii.They know that if they all make it to Kona fit and healthy then all the media will be about them and that is going to piss the traditional Ironman crowd off.It will be a PR dream for the Pho3nix Foundation (cue MacGyver) and a pain in the ass for Ironman,which will all be a part of the plan.

I will now put on my flame proof suit.. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Halvard wrote:
This is cool.
I loved the sub2 race.

Yes people here will be grumpy, mainly because none of the ST favourites have been included and it will be seen to be flying in the face of "real" Ironman racing.The thing is that Ironman already refuse to accept the male and female fastest Iron distance times from Roth and like to pretend that they never happened,That is sad and fucking petty from my point of view.

I will now put on my flame proof suit.. :-)
Exactly right. If Lionel was doing this it would be non-stop gushing about he's the greatest athlete the world has ever seen, in-between bouts of furious masturbation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be feasible as a relay, but individually I'd say it's a very far reach. I'd say the women have a better chance seeing what the current 'records' are for men and women.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are going to have pacers on all 3 disciplines and will be able to draft on the bike. This should save a lot of time, which may enable to the women to take off 19 minutes from the current record and go sub 8, but still can't see the man take 36 mins off the record without having downhill/current assisted conditions. Nonetheless will be an interesting event to watch, hopefully will bring a lot of attention to the sport. https://www.sub7sub8.com/about/
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
They are going to have pacers on all 3 disciplines and will be able to draft on the bike. This should save a lot of time, which may enable to the women to take off 19 minutes from the current record and go sub 8, but still can't see the man take 36 mins off the record without having downhill/current assisted conditions. Nonetheless will be an interesting event to watch, hopefully will bring a lot of attention to the sport. https://www.sub7sub8.com/about/
I agree.I can see the women getting it done given the format but the guys,I don't know.That is a huge leap.
>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think short of a wind/current assisted swim followed by a point to point bike with a tailwind (and possibly a motorcade) then these times - particularly the men's - are a very big ask. In reality we are looking at the men to finish up with a 2:30 marathon, if not a 2:2X so not only do they need to be very fresh when they start the marathon, they need to be fresh having done world record performances already in the swim & bike.

Maybe the plan is for them to sit tight behind a truck with a huge clock on the roof at 30mph doing 200W in the draft - if that is the case then I think it is eminently possible.

On the other hand, Lucy can - I suspect - swim with Ali & Kristian, if she sits in on the bike and lets them do the donkey work I could see her easily getting to T2 in <5 hours. However I guess if that happens the Men's target is doomed to fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

We haven’t dug too deep into the numbers yet, but just to break the seven hours, it takes at least a 45-minute swim, 3:45 bike and finishing off with a 2:30 marathon. This is even without taking the transitions in consideration.

if you think this is possible, INCLUDING transitions, it is fine for me.
for me it is impossible at present time, without drafting, without water current and without having a downhill marathon. and also without having a car in front for drafting

A peloton of Olympic level real or OWS swimmers pulling them to a 45min IM swim, a peloton of big-ass buses and trucks pulling World Tour level cyclists pulling the triathletes to a 3:30 IM bike (51.5kph), and then a 2:40 marathon to cap it off equals, including 4min of transitions, 6:59.

Without the vehicles there's no way they go below 4:00 on the bike, which is a 7:30.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
This is cool.
I loved the sub2 race.

Agreed, and the point of the whole thing is to raise money for a good cause.

Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on Nick be honest if this was LS you'd be calling this a bullshit attempt and calling out every "aid" he was using that both these attempts will use.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 7 /Sub 8 Challenge for Northern Spring 2022...Guess who? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be curious how you would want to stage the cyclists. Like would you want to break it up where you can create 4 different team time trials and the athlete just sits on all while having the freshest athletes every 25 miles. Or just have the sum of bikers all together the whole time just doing 1 big "paceline" pull + the racers "hiding" in the back.

Especially if it's a looped course, I would almost bring in fresh cyclists each lap or section.

ETA: You know there will be media traffic to help "buffer" the wind etc as well, because how else will they film / promote it. So they'll probaly get the benefit of traffic control + however they want to stage the support cyclists.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 27, 21 12:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next