Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub-2h bike splits for AG
Quote | Reply
Does anyone notice that we entered the era of sub-2h bike splits for top age groupers?

There should be more guys, but from what I remember:
Lars Lomholt @ 70.3 Duisburg 2023: 1:58 (he was very close to 2h @ Elsinore this year as well)
Pim van Diemen @ 70.3 Duisburg 2023: 1:56
Timmo Jeret @ 70.3 Worlds 2023 (the overall AG winner): 1:59

They are crazy fast, producing more than 300W on average for the whole course. If I'm not mistaken, not that long time ago the pros started to cross the sub-2h mark.
I don't know any of the guys above - I'm just amazed at how the AG competitiveness has evolved within the last decade.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [oleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd... we see AGers break the 2:00 mark while also witnessing the advent of peak aero state with shoving bottles in our tri suits... coincidence?

There's a lot of money behind big bike to eliminate common man aero advantage. It wouldn't surprise me if Ironman bans the bottles next year based on heavy shadow lobbying by big bike. The bottle is an equalizer, and these sub-2:00 splits are proof of that.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Odd... we see AGers break the 2:00 mark while also witnessing the advent of peak aero state with shoving bottles in our tri suits... coincidence?

There's a lot of money behind big bike to eliminate common man aero advantage. It wouldn't surprise me if Ironman bans the bottles next year based on heavy shadow lobbying by big bike. The bottle is an equalizer, and these sub-2:00 splits are proof of that.

I’m not sure that an added bottle itself is the reason. The ability to produce high watts in a good aero position is more likely the reason as to me.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oleks wrote:
Lars Lomholt @ 70.3 Duisburg 2023: 1:58 (he was very close to 2h @ Elsinore this year as well)

They are crazy fast, producing more than 300W on average for the whole course. If I'm not mistaken, not that long time ago the pros started to cross the sub-2h mark.
I don't know any of the guys above - I'm just amazed at how the AG competitiveness has evolved within the last decade.

There is a very fine line separating pros and top AG.
Lars is sponsored by KU, has been doing some aero testing with them and is aiming at Nice WC before turning pro. He was very close to sub 2 in Elsinore (290W) where he overtook the whole women's pro field and rode the entire course on his own, not even with leading motorbikes, which remained with the women.
Pim rode 320-330W in Duisburg vs 305W by Lars and put time on him. This was a no-pro race and had a lead moto which apparently rode a bit too close in front of him.
Timmo averaged 327W in Lahti, crazy numbers which would have enabled him to ride in the front pack of the pros.

It's crazy the amount of fast bike splits by AG's in Lahti, but what it's not shown is the unbelievable level of drafting there was. Huge pelotons riding together, not a single official telling them off, and nobody on either of the penalty tents...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be interesting to know their background, type of training, bike setups ecc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars Lomholt is setup well on that new super bike:

Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
Lars is sponsored by KU, has been doing some aero testing with them and is aiming at Nice WC before turning pro.

I remember, I read Lars’es report after winning AG at Ironman Lanzarote back in 2018. If I’m not mistaken, he wrote that he caught a good wheel he sticked to then.

Comparing to his current bike splits, he made an amazing improvement!

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk how it works in other countries, but USAT does not force people to go pro even if they clearly could/should. For a lot of guys they'll get more reward by winning AG's and amateur overall fields than they would by being mid-pack pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same race mentioned, is distance correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong thread and totally not right to say (here), but his seat seems awfully low ... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duisburg was a legit distance and was crazy fast. I averaged 40.4 km/h with 199W (1.78m 68 kg). There was hardly any wind, it wasn’t very technical and only about 300m of climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Same race mentioned, is distance correct?

They all are very close to 90km - I'd say within a kilometer or so.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my buddies got hypothermia on the bike and had to pull out at the 88km mark on bike (which happened to be at a penalty tent). I ran to find him there and while trying to warm him up etc for about 15 min at least 5-6 people came in for drafting penalties so they were definitely handing them out. Not sure if it was more or less than other big races - but I heard they were handing them out quite a bit in the pro division.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also it's never been easier to buy EPO online.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [EuroTrash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EuroTrash wrote:
Also it's never been easier to buy EPO online.

No, surely not. What websites would you even buy it from? Can you link them, so that I can report them? Pls and thx
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It absolutely is. Google bodybuilding forums. You will find dozens and dozens of places selling every steroid/PED under the sun.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that the worst looking bike ever made?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure some chronic kidney disease medication for your pet would do the trick too - red cell booster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oleks wrote:
Does anyone notice that we entered the era of sub-2h bike splits for top age groupers?

Timmo comes from cycling background (possibly former U23 national TT champion) and is competing in the triathlon elite division in his home land
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a thin line between PRO/Elite and AG - and it keeps getting thinner.

I think with the new PTO setup for next year, you can add a new level - "Tier 1 pros"

Then we'll have:
Tier 1 pros - top 30-ish on the PTO ranking
Tier 2 pros - "Normal" pros - everybody with a elite license / PRO license
Age Groupers

I find myself borderline in between AG and Tier 2 - I'm 36 year, work as a triathlon coach and have a kid. Decided this year to try PRO, and will do the same next year (after a year with too many injuries). To me the question is: "Do I want to be the best of the amateurs or the slowest of the PROs?" My swim is pretty good, and that's why I decided to be the slowest of the PROs. I'm not sure I would even finish top20 in the AG race in Lahti. Still I find the PRO races more exciting, and my goal is still to get to T2 with the front pack and run sub3 marathon.

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he wrote that he caught a good wheel he sticked to then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should enter next years road nationals TT after all they can bike faster for three hours than bike pros average for the hour
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-2h bike splits for AG [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that's a brave attitude knowing you won't be on the fight for the top spots, but it's much more satisfying to toe the line with the big boys rather than in the AG field. Many are not strong swimmers, even though their bike+run could be better than yours, and are not brave enough to try being afraid of a solo race. So kudos to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
There is a very fine line separating pros and top AG.
Lars is sponsored by KU, has been doing some aero testing with them and is aiming at Nice WC before turning pro. He was very close to sub 2 in Elsinore (290W) where he overtook the whole women's pro field and rode the entire course on his own, not even with leading motorbikes, which remained with the women.

jollyroger88 wrote:
Timmo comes from cycling background (possibly former U23 national TT champion) and is competing in the triathlon elite division in his home land

Schmidt-DK wrote:
I find myself borderline in between AG and Tier 2 - I'm 36 year, work as a triathlon coach and have a kid. Decided this year to try PRO, and will do the same next year (after a year with too many injuries). To me the question is: "Do I want to be the best of the amateurs or the slowest of the PROs?" My swim is pretty good, and that's why I decided to be the slowest of the PROs. I'm not sure I would even finish top20 in the AG race in Lahti. Still I find the PRO races more exciting, and my goal is still to get to T2 with the front pack and run sub3 marathon.

Thanks for the insides, guys. I'm glad I started the topic😊
Good luck, Lars!

It will be also interesting to see Lars Lomholt among the pros and to follow Timmo - he is still around 30.

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oleks wrote:

Timmo Jeret who won overall AG is a professional. He is doing Q&A session on his instagram and this was one of the questions. Kudos to Timmo for being honest, but it is not right. It's also well known in his homeland that he is sponsored athlete.

Last edited by: crayzeee: Aug 31, 23 7:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next