Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons?
Quote | Reply
I have done several stupid things but about to maybe do the worst. Or maybe not.

My knee has been bothering me the last couple of weeks so have stop training and started an early tapering. Earlier this week I carried an air conditioner down some stairs and felt a really sharp pain in my knee. Now I can not go up or down stairs without considerble pain. Don't notice it too much walking.

Decided to do IMFL anyway. I had so much time and money invested I could not bring myself to skip it.

Reasoning. Look how banged up NFL players are week to week and they still play. Plus it is the end of the season and this is the last race this year. I only need to be healthy by spring for Galveston.

I honestly believe that when I get on the bike I will feel great and will somehow gut out the run with a lot of walking.

Or it will not bother me at all.

So either it will be a stupid decision to go or if I am fine a great decision.

I
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought is that you should see a doctor before the race. 26.2 miles is a long, long way.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NFL players have an average lifespan of 58.

My advice is find out what is wrong with your knee first. At a minimum you can then make a go/nogo decision knowing if you're going to be causing some permanent damage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start the race and see how it goes. You are safe if you are willing to stop running should the knee tell you to.
Even if the knee hurts like hell, odds are slim that continuing on through this one race would cause permanent damage.

But do proper diligence in the meantime. lightly work the knee with cycling and running to test it and see how it will respond. Use ice a lot. Use heat a lot. Alternate the two. Take a strong anti-inflammatory.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips.

I paid my money so want to do as much of the race as I can. I would not be surprised it ends up being the entire race with some walking.

The swim will not be a problem. Will monitor the knee on the bike. High rpm and will manage my effort. I am decent on the bike so I have a lot of room to lower the effort and still complete in a reasonable amount of time. THe run will be difficult. Plan to take first lap pretty easy and then if feeling not too bad start pushing some on the second lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Becoming a Slowtwitch junkie!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really along the same lines, but I'd say the stupidest thing I've ever done was to bring a cable lock to my first race. I certainly wasn't going to leave my bike in some parking lot unlocked while I went swimming. Unfortunately, there have been enough threads about bikes getting stolen from transition that I maybe wasn't so crazy, but at the time, it seemed like very "D'Oh!" moment.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time and money have you invested? Is it worth it being your last race? You could do a lot of damage during the race even if it does hurt that bad.

Go see a doctor and stop trying to be a hero. Maybe the doctor will tell you it is nothing serious and you can still do it, but why not get it looked at?

NFL players also get paid millions of dollars and get injected with all kinds of stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a lamb."

-Not sure who said it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not really along the same lines, but I'd say the stupidest thing I've ever done was to bring a cable lock to my first race. I certainly wasn't going to leave my bike in some parking lot unlocked while I went swimming. Unfortunately, there have been enough threads about bikes getting stolen from transition that I maybe wasn't so crazy, but at the time, it seemed like very "D'Oh!" moment.

Honestly, whether or not to bring a lock was one of the things I was worried about for my first tri.

My dumbest thing was doing Newton Trail Tri in Boulder Friday night, which is short but I was flat-out the whole way, then being back at the Rez less than 12 hours later for a 2-mile open water swim race, then eating and resting for an hour before going on a ride up to Jamestown, on the way back from which I had my big crash. The fatigue I was feeling probably did not make it easier for me to avoid or prevent the crash.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
discretion is the better part of valor

that's often hard thing for an endurance athlete to grasp, but trust me you don't want to be "walking" around like Dan Dierdorf.

Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for you.
IMLP 2009 I too was pot committed and decided to push through achilles tendonitis. I ran 30 miles the entire month on June.
Bike and swim were fine, as were the first 8 miles of the run. Then it just got hard. It wasn't so much pain, it was just hard. The lack of run training caught up with me. Walked/ran a 5 hour marathon. It wasn't fun.

I came out no worse for the wear though and besides being disappointed with the time I was happy that I completed it. I did have to take 5 months off from running as I vowed not to run until all symptons were gone. So you have that to consider.

Also I think the more difficult thing for you, given that it's your knee, will be determing if the the run is just hard or if you are doing more damage to it. Stopping, while prudent, may prove to be a very difficult decision.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a lamb."

-Not sure who said it.

[pink]Dunno, maybe a suicide bomber[/pink]

It's IMFL, so it's not like the Olympics where you may only get one shot. Personally I can't see risking permanent injury or surgery for a race. It pays to a least know the risks when making the choice.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I showed up to the pool for my first triathlon sans goggles. Had to run into the transition area after the race already started to get them. "D'Oh!"
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to put my timing chip on in my last race this year...Didn't realize till I was running over the timing mat at T1...Everbody else...Beep...Beep...Beep...Me, nothing. Ran all the way to my bike, put it on, ran back to mat and accross it. Still didn't record it, decided to just keep going. When looking at the results, out of 373 people, I had no swim time, but I had the 371st slowest T1! Should have just put it on at the bike and proceeded, wouldn't have mattered. Cost an AG award. Doh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just this summer was doing a local sprint in my buddies home town. After having rolled right out of bed, in the dark still, we were loading our bikes to the roof rack and I threw my front skewer in the grass while locking down my bike. Threw the wheel in the trunk but forgot my skewer. Didnt realize it until I pulled my bike down from the roof at the race. Thankfully the house was close enough that his wife took the car back and picked it up and tossed it to me as I exited the swim. It ended up being my first overall win. Couldnt thank her enough!

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Nov 4, 10 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went low-carb starting two weeks before and ending 4 days before IM-Lou. Ran out of glycogen right around mile 20 of the bike. :-(

Finished at least.

2014: 40k TT focus

Race reports at http://tripikapp.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
left my front wheel by my garage. I was so worried getting my entire family packed in the van (twin toddlers). Luckily a nice triathlete borrowed me his training wheel he had just across the street from where i parked so I did not have to go to the announcers table to ask for a front wheel!

someday I will put something funny here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run in my bike shoes.

I only did it for my first race. As I was doing it, it just felt wrong. Google helped me find the solution and ST too.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [Logan D Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a stupid suggestion, but if you really wanna race, find a doctor that will give you a cortisone shot. Then when you get back, get your knee properly treated.

again, this is a bad decision, but its an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupidest thing you have done when it comes to triathlons? [matthilaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupidest? Probably signing up for Ironman...and THEN telling my wife. Yup. Pretty stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first triathlon was in Sept. 2003, and I "Competed" in my first IM Oct. 2004. By far the dumbest thing I've ever done. Notice I said I "Competed", not finished. It was a ruff day in all. Did not take the time to really pay attention to how the distance would affect my body and what type of nutrition to use. I worked about 12 hour days and just could not fit the amount of training in that is necessary for that type race. I learned a lot from that day and completed several half's before attempting another IM in Aug 2009. I finished successfully, but for those of you thinking about trying and IM early in your Triathlon experience...train long and hard and be smart about your preparations going into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine's relatively benign - forgot to take my helmet off in T2. An official pointed it out to me. I asked him if it was legal, and yes, it is, but he helpfully took it from me and put it with my bike anyway.

Can you imagine how dorky my finish photo would have looked...

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left my first set of race wheels (now one race old) leaning against the rear bumper of my car while washing up...you know the rest

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gave advice when I wasn't asked.
Quote Reply

Prev Next