Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stupid TdF question of the day
Quote | Reply
This has always bugged me.

The Jerseys, Yellow, White, Green, Pink, Polka...we all know what they're awarded for.....but where do they come from???

Does each team have a bag full of Yellows at the start of the Tour, in different sizes, with thieir sponsors logos on them, in case they have a rider(s) who is leading? same for the other jerseys?

Or do the race organizers have these jerseys prepared before the tour in all different sizes with all the team sponsor logos???

Or are they made the night before the stage? Or even back stage if there's a suprise race leader at the end of the day???

Discovery for example has been touting their amazing super aero wicking Nike tops...surely Lance and Popovich are wearing these too and not race issued stuff???

Anyone know?

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tour has huge amounts of jerseys in various sizes and a press to print the team logos on them. Nike makes all of the jerseys for the Tour. If you look at pics in the past the jerseys never had a full zip because they were done like printing a t-shirt. They must have a better method because now they get full zip jerseys if they want them.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Last edited by: House: Jul 19, 05 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
each team leader and main possible contenders will have a bag of jersey with the sponsor names already printed. I saw and interview with LA and he has a entire bag full of the 3 main jerseys.

side note, never have seen a pink jersey though
yellow= GC leader
Green= sprint champ
polka= king of mtn
white = young rider

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [fastGopher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So thats one vote for the teams and one vote for the race organizers!

;-)

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
each team leader and main possible contenders will have a bag of jersey with the sponsor names already printed. I saw and interview with LA and he has a entire bag full of the 3 main jerseys.

side note, never have seen a pink jersey though
yellow= GC leader
Green= sprint champ
polka= king of mtn
white = young rider

The Pink Jersy is what the King of the Mountains wears if my wife is doing the team laundry.

(getting my tours and giros mixed up)

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answer ain't there either.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So thats one vote for the teams and one vote for the race organizers! "

There are also two different yellow jerseys :)

The one they get on the podium is the ironed on one. The one they wear in the actual stages is the one from Nike that is in the team bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"side note, never have seen a pink jersey though"

Isn't that the Giro leader's jersey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I remembered where I read it, I think it was in the official Tour anniversary book. They may have changed in the last year or two but I know what I said was true as of a year or two ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From answers.com and a number of other places now that I look more:

[quote]A rider who leads a classification for a stage of the Tour gets three copies of the coloured jersey. The jersey bears their team logo, and the copy that they are awarded immediately after the stage end must have the logo attached in a matter of minutes, so this is done by a rapid process that can be done in the field but which yields an inferior jersey. Overnight, a high-quality jersey is printed to be worn the next day. They also get a high-quality jersey to keep as a souvenir: the ones that are worn get dirty and are sometimes damaged by the day's cycling.[/quote]

Last edited by: House: Jul 19, 05 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that the Giro leader's jersey?

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Last edited by: fastGopher: Jul 19, 05 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the organizars do them, each rider gets three jerseys for each day they wear the jersey. The first is for the podium, they screen print the team's logo onto the front of the jersey. The second is for racing, and is a 'regular' jersey. The third is the same as the second, but is intended for a keepsake/trophy for the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is slightly off topic but...

I would NEVER, EVER, EVER be caught dead wearing a replica of any championship jersey, leaders jersey, or even a team jersey with championship stripes unless I actually earned (won) it myself.

It blows my mind when I see folks doing this. Those jerseys are sacred to me. I received a Polka Dot jersey as a gift when I was racing back in my 20's and I just stuffed it in the back of my drawer thinking I might one day get it signed by an actual climbing winner of the TdF. Never did, and finally sold it on eBay a few years ago. Perhaps I should have destroyed it on second thought.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed a guy on Pig Farm Hill on Saturday wearing a polka dot jersey. He was riding a triple. King of the Mountains on a triple....I laughed the whole way to the top.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do either of you wear jerseys of pro football, baseball, hockey or basketball teams? Do you ever wear a team shirt, just like the ones issued to the Disco boys or the US National teams?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pig Farm vs. Alpe d'Huez...about even I guess ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, to a certain degree. I would never wear a KOM or yellow jersey but I think its not blasphemous to wear one either. There's a guy who's a good sprinter in our club, and he rightly wears a green jersey, and I've seen guys who are strong climbers wearing the poka-dots. On the other hand, fat old (50+) guy I saw at a race recently wearing the Best-Young-Rider white jersey with a giant pot belly looked ridiculous. If you see/ride with most people they're not cat1 racers so obviously its not the real thing. Its not harming anyone by wearing it, and if you like the look, heck, who am I to tell you what not to wear? If I were German, I can't wear the German stripes? National pride? I'm pretty sure this topic was argued extensively elswhere on the forum...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of course they don't, b/c then they would have to be on the team to be able to wear a jersey like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
House, I have no problem with a guy wearing a Giants jersey or a Discovery jersey or a team USA jersey....but wearing a Polka Dot jersey is like wearing one of those fake Patriots superbowl rings you get with a year's subscription to Sports Illustrated.

And if you are going to go out riding in a Polka Dot jersey you should at least be able to climb.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid TdF question of the day [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I know, it's a hot button topic of mine and it is the Tour at the moment...

By all means wear the standard team jersey; I'm not that much of a jerk. In fact, I have one each of a 7-11, Motorola, and Postal (early) jersey that I enjoy wearing on occasion. But, dang, a Polka Dot KOM jersey is like buying a fake Oscar and carrying it around with you when you attend the local civic theater.

And I don't give anyone grief about it; the issue is just mine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I would NEVER, EVER, EVER be caught dead wearing a replica of any championship jersey, leaders jersey, or even a team jersey with championship stripes unless I actually earned (won) it myself.
[/reply]

What about equipment? Would you have any issue using the same parts/bikes/etc as the winners? That would seem to be just as sacreligious and unworthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different Stupid TdF question:

Why does VINOKOUROV have a completely different team uniform then the rest of the T-Mobile team?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the difference between riding a triple and riding a compact crank?
Quote Reply

Prev Next