Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid Newbie Question
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the bike leg for a relay team at an upcoming 1/2 ironman. I'll be on a set of clincher wheels. Do y'all carry a tube and inflator or anything like that, or do you just call it a day if you have a flat? Is there SAG support that comes along? I'd hate to go all-out with the aero gear and strip down the bike and then have a flat 25 miles out with no support to get back in.

What do y'all do to cover this?

Thanks,

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Newbie Question [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carry a spare tube and C02......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid newbie. Gosh!!!!

;P

Seriously, bring a tube, tire levers, and a pump. I don't like the CO2 cartidges much. You can attach the pump to the frame with some velcro straps.

As for SAG support. If you flat, a van might come around to take you back to the transition area. Or it might not. Be prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wait for the van (there might or might not be one), your relay teamates are going to be decidedly unchuffed that you didn't carry a spare and spend the 5 minutes to fix the flat and carry on. The underseat pack required to hold the necessary gear will slow you down approximately zero point nothing seconds. You'll burn more aero coupons the first time you reach for your water bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a race I carry a minipump (Blackburn Airstick), levers (Quick Sticks) and a spare, I have a Softride, classic beam style, so I put the pump on one of the bottle bosses, the levers are held to the underside of the beam below the saddle by pieces of old inner tube, and a spare tube is tucked up into the underside of the saddle. Works for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take tubes, CO2, etc.

I think that accepting help from anyone with equipment issues can lead to penalties and/or a DQ. Maybe someone that knows USAT rules better can speak to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Newbie Question [kjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From neutral support it's no big deal, as far as I know.

The races I did it at were (1) a case where the guy was just going to throw the race, so I got him back to the T zone, and (2) a women's only race where the attitude was different than a typical race (though not atypical for a women's only race). So there was very little, if any, danger of penalties.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are are no stupid newbie questions...just stupid posters (present company as an example)

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a tube, put on new tires, and good luck. I prefer CO2.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm doing the bike leg for a relay team at an upcoming 1/2 ironman. I'll be on a set of clincher wheels. [reply]

Wow you are a stupid n00bie! ;) I usually carry two CO2 cartridges with the little screw-on lever on the cartridge threads. Then I carry two small levers in case I need them (I broke one during a tire change not in a race...and decided that a 1/2 oz lever isn't going to slow me down). I also carry 1 tube and 1 patch set, so I can do three flats in a race without needing the sag wagon. In some races this doesn't really exist.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Newbie Question [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wow you are a stupid n00bie! ;) I usually carry two CO2 cartridges with the little screw-on lever on the cartridge threads. Then I carry two small levers in case I need them (I broke one during a tire change not in a race...and decided that a 1/2 oz lever isn't going to slow me down). I also carry 1 tube and 1 patch set, so I can do three flats in a race without needing the sag wagon. In some races this doesn't really exist. "

I was ready to go off on you until I noticed your little emoticon there. I'm not at all new to cycling. I'm probably approaching a couple hundred thousand miles since the early 90s when I took it up seriously. I'm just new to doing the longer-distance triathlons. I've done Olys and just risked it ... figuring, why put out for all that aero nonsense and then go stuff jersey pockets or carry a seat bag. But 56 miles is a bit different story. Here in rural SC, it's true that you can give a hick in a pickup a $20 and he'll drive you to Kansas or wherever. But I'm not sure I'd count on that while sporting lycra and shaved legs. I'll carry a tube and an inflator ... and a $20 just in case.

Bob C.
Quote Reply