Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid HED3 ?
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being so dense but I have a new set of HED3s and I can't make my pump work with the rim. My pump has one of those dual heads for presta and shrader and it just will not fit on the valve in that notch in the rim. Do I need to find a pump that is just presta? Recommendations for a pump that fits? Or other solution??

Quote Reply
Crackpipe adapter [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They make a little adapter that looks like a brass crack pipe. Your LBS should have em. G
Quote Reply
Re: Crackpipe adapter [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank G, what should I ask them for?
Quote Reply
Re: Crackpipe adapter [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask them for a pump presta adapter called a crack pipe -- they will know what you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Crackpipe adapter [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the adapter, and don't see how it helps me? The problem I have is the end of the pump hose has a dual head, I can't get the head of the pump to attach to the presta valve stem because there isn't enough room to attach it with in the cutout in the wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your wheels are defective. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. -Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy it.

use it.

be happy.

Trust me, I'm from the government.

Last edited by: paco: May 12, 05 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just went thru the same thing. I'd sure better be faster on these new race wheels to make all the extra hassle and expense worth it. The crack pipe replaces the dual head you currently use. And getting the tire up to pressure is now a two person job.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Re: Crackpipe adapter [paco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, since the government never lied to me before:) Thanks you guys, I follow now. I knew I was making this way to hard! Phew.... Thanks again:)
Quote Reply
Re: Crackpipe adapter [Chuck M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its a one person job.

right hand pumps...

left hand has a death grip on the crack pipe holding it "squarely" and firmly on the valve.

I use my thumb (outside of the tire) and index finger (on top of said crack pipe) and pinch like a mo fo...

once to pressure,... push the relief button on your pump and you are done. (120 psi for me)

Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you will have to buy one of these

Silca Pump Disc Wheel Adapter click on this link

Let me know if you have any other questions. You will have to remove your current fitting from the end of your pump and put this one on the end. Buy a hose clamp from Home Depot to secure it. Good luck.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great picture rooster, saves about 3 days splaining with words. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my HED's, I used a tube that had a longer valve and if i remember correctly the HED's actually angled their holes to make the valve more accessible, meaning I never used a crack pipe, I just hooked up my pump as normal and pumped away but with a longer valve. If you use a tube with a short valve then yes, you need to use a crack pipe to fill it up.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy the topeak smarthead replacement head. It fits right in there.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=11445
Last edited by: OWEN_MEANY: May 12, 05 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Notice QuintannaRooster's post and the picture, post #11.

The space between the crack pipe adapter and "bottom" of the valve cutout is just the right size to permit one to slip a small socket (socket wrench set) in there so you can use two hands on the pump. This also keeps it a one man job. Or you can make a "custom" wedge out of wood for the same purpose.

This is how I manage it and it works great for me. If I had to pump one handed, I would have a hard time getting the pressure above 110 psi.

Now if you weigh 250 lbs or more this was not an issue in the first place and you can disregard my post..

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. The one hand pumping limits me to about 110, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Let me know if you have any other questions. You will have to remove your current fitting from the end of your pump and put this one on the end. Buy a hose clamp from Home Depot to secure it. Good luck.

??????????????????

Doesn't it just push into the Presta fitting on the pump? I've used mine on 2 different pumps and never had to modify either to use the adapter.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have Hed's too? Man....

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just insert the crack pipe into the Specialize pump head. I then use two fingers to hold the pipe to the valve and use one hand to pump.

Don't really understand these people saying they can't pump higher then 110. Bend at the waist and push damn it... push...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Blackburn floor pump fits in the recess without a problem. It has a reversible presta/schrader head. I think all of the better Blackburn pumps use the same head.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, was going to buy one of these:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12865&subcategory_ID=4360
only $20, has the dual head, but it's a reversible head like the Blackburn.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must not be married if that is all the hand strength you have....a married buddy can get his to 210psi with one hand...he uses that right hand allot though.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid HED3 ? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have the same problem, was going to buy one of these:
http://www.performancebike.com/...;subcategory_ID=4360
only $20, has the dual head, but it's a reversible head like the Blackburn.

Zoom the pic and take another look at the head. I've got a Topeak pump and there's no way it works on a HED 3 without the adapter.

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than cut the end off my pump to make room for the crack pipe I took the presta valve (long stem) off of a blown innertube down to my local welding shop and had them press on hose clamps and a 500 PSI tube to both the crack pipe and the presta valve (about 3" of tubing). Now I just put the presta valve into the pump head and it's a crack pipe fitting too. The fitting is also small enough I can put it into my seat bag so on training rides with my race wheels I can use it with a pump rather than blow a co2 cartiridge on a town ride.

Still requires a one hand pump but I'm married so it's no problem getting 150PSI going (left handed)

Cheers, Karma

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply