Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stuck on TriRig Alpha One + P5 install... star fangled nut depth? 5-port Di2 junction?
Quote | Reply
Began a custom build from the frame up a few weeks back and the process is still dragging on. I've learned more than I expected to during the process, but there's still a few areas where I can't quite seem to nail down the details. Getting a bit frustrated that I still can't ride this thing so I'm turning to the internet for further advice.

First off, cutting the steerer tube. I don't have the necessary saw for this, so I dropped it off at the LBS with the Alpha One stem fully lowered (utilizing it as the integrated dust cap) and left the printed-off instructions for cutting 2-3mm below the top surface of the stem. Instead, they helpfully added a dust cap and then cut flush with the stem, leaving a few mm of steerer tube above the stem when properly installed. Not a big deal, and perhaps a happy accident for the next part.

I also requested a compression plug for the fork so that the integrated stem cover could be fitted. Perhaps some misguided expectations on that end--Cervelos comes standard with a bonded alloy sleeve within the tube and a star-fangled nut. I suppose I wasn't expecting that sleeve to still be present after the cut, but I was wrong. I received the frame back with a short compression plug that managed to fit along with a more standard one that doesn't fit the sleeve (not sure why I got two, will need to return it). Neither allows for the stem cover to be installed.

At this point I'm thinking I need a star-fangled nut again, as originally included, but I'm not certain I have enough depth on the sleeve for this to be possible. There's about 15mm left measured from the top. Is that the correct next step here, and if so, is that enough surface to mount it into? Otherwise, should I be looking for a different style of compression plugs that self-mounts more narrowly?

Beyond that, I'm quickly discovering that the cavity barely fits the 5-port junction box it's advertised to hold (I have not successfully test-fitted it yet) and I'm not looking forward to the repeated installation of this to charge the battery. If anyone has any tips on how to accomplish this I'd be eager to know the best way to fit it in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck on TriRig Alpha One + P5 install... star fangled nut depth? 5-port Di2 junction? [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no luck getting the 5 junction box in the stem cavity - I decided not to force it and bend the connectors etc., I just ran the wires through the stem cavity and put the junction in my bento.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck on TriRig Alpha One + P5 install... star fangled nut depth? 5-port Di2 junction? [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah the cavity on the stem can't fit anything beyond just cables. I read somewhere from someone that they hid their junction box on the bottom side of the dragonfly mount
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The star nut should work just fine. Those are usually M6 threaded, so the countersunk bolt on your Alpha One cable cover will thread into it.

Fitment of the junction box is easier if you file off the little tab on the back side. Alternatively you can use the bar end junction for constant access to the charge port without any disassembly.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck on TriRig Alpha One + P5 install... star fangled nut depth? 5-port Di2 junction? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, star nut looks like the solution at this point. Just hoping I have enough sleeve left to have a consistent diameter for seating it.

I can sort of visualize how removing the tab would seat things a bit lower, but in the interest of not permanently modifying things and having tightly bent cables, I think I'm going to end up placing it in the bento box. Same clean installation as if I had managed to get it to work, plus it allows for charging access.

Thanks! Both remaining parts arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll finally be finished then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:
Yeah, star nut looks like the solution at this point. Just hoping I have enough sleeve left to have a consistent diameter for seating it.

I can sort of visualize how removing the tab would seat things a bit lower, but in the interest of not permanently modifying things and having tightly bent cables, I think I'm going to end up placing it in the bento box. Same clean installation as if I had managed to get it to work, plus it allows for charging access.

Thanks! Both remaining parts arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll finally be finished then.
Putting the junction into the bento box is definitely a good solution. Personally, I really like the bar-end junction (Shimano EW-RS910). We are working on a review of Di2 9170 for triathletes, which is its own beast. But the EW-RS910 is a part of that. The cool thing is that Di2 offers a LOT of different options, even before its current iteration. Folks have put the junctions on aerobars, bento boxes, frames, seatposts, between saddle rails, below chainstays, and in more positions than I can list or even imagine. But suffice to say, there are LOTS of options with each version. 9170 is easily the best iteration, and we are excited to publish our forthcoming review. If we can help you with your installation, please reach out via support@tririg.com - thanks!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:

The 6-port Junction b from the XTR DI2 external battery mount for Di2 internal battery along with the RS910 bar end junction A provides a very clean install.
Quote Reply