Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strength training in Gym vs. at Home
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Can't really find any studies or recommendations but seems like gym strength training is superior to working out at home with some kettlebells for example.

What I would do at home is like squats, one-legged squats, deadlifts, maybe some body weight exercises, everything with additional weights of kettlebells.
Same exercises in the gym basically, maybe leg press or so added, but with more weight usually.

Any experiences in comparison for these two options? Strength training also used to make feel good, maybe hormones or so. Therefore definitely want to do it more over the winter, maybe even sticking with it after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is way too much context missing. Whether you work out in location A and B doesn't matter, if the workout is identical. But whether that is possible depends on whether you have all the same gear and can get in the same mental zone.

For me personally, I would need a squat rack with pull up bar, adjustable bench, barbell, and dumb bells. I don't have these at home and cant get in the same mental state, so I feel my home workouts with bands and lighter weights are lower quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, we really need to know what equipment you like to use and what's available at each location.

Personally I do all my lifting at the gym because they have the equipment I want to use and I don't have any at home. There is a second gym I like to use but they don't have a weight assisted pull-up machine like the first one does...and they don't have a pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried several times to get a home strength routine going and I never stick to it. I think there are two aspects:

1) All I have at home are a couple of dumbells and some resistance bands vs a huge range of equipment at the gym. The latter means I can vary my routine much more, and as I get stronger I can increase the weights I'm lifting. If I'm just doing bodyweight exercises or using the same weights I'm not doing that and it would take a huge investment (and extra space) to have the same set-up at home.

2) Practical/psychological - if I've made the effort to go to the gym and I'm surrounded by other people working out, I'll get it done. At home the kids will interrupt wanting something, I'll remember a chore I need to do or I just generally get distracted somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah we are missing some details. Are you saying the gym might be more productive because of heavier exercises or new machines?

I found dumbbells off of facebook for cheap. 10-50 lbs. For my heaviest exercise I'll do single leg split squats holding a 50 lb dumbell in both hands. That gets pretty close to a full load you might squat with a full rack and free weights at the gym. For the convenience, my home strength workouts are fantastic. No gym membership, no commute, no other people sharing equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it’s expensive and all that but Tonal was a fucking game changer. I had it installed the end of March and have 100 workouts in that six months. I haven’t lifted weights 100 times in the previous 10 years combined. My son has over 100 workouts on it as well. Worth every cent.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I know it’s expensive and all that but Tonal was a fucking game changer. I had it installed the end of March and have 100 workouts in that six months. I haven’t lifted weights 100 times in the previous 10 years combined. My son has over 100 workouts on it as well. Worth every cent.

Do they have any workouts specific to swim/bike/run? Good to hear this is working well for you. I live in the middle of the woods and getting to a gym is a big chore and I prefer to work out alone. So might be looking into something like this. I am good about doing strength/core at home with body weight and some free weights but would like to have more options.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
2) Practical/psychological - if I've made the effort to go to the gym and I'm surrounded by other people working out, I'll get it done.

That's me, absolutely

ETA: The funny thing is --- I don't really talk to anybody, other than maybe the desk staff, so going to the gym isn't much of a Social Situation

As I've said before, I have found that a tech race shirt functions fairly well as an Invisibility Cloak and my alternative outfit of black Punk Rock tees + VANS might be off-putting to some people, so they kind of avoid me LOL [not like I'd even hear them over the scream of NYC Hardcore in my earbuds]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Sep 21, 22 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's called general strength.

there really isn't "swim bike run" general strength, eh?

That said a well equipped home gym is a GAME changer. Ive built mine out over 12 years and spend ANY funds i would on a commercial gym to outfit this. There is NOT a single workout I cant do in my garage now.

If really space crammed, for sure use 3-4 KBs and get creative with ballistic or unilateral movements. I love the KB King for bells - https://www.kettlebellkings.com/?afmc=bv

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Do they have any workouts specific to swim/bike/run? Good to hear this is working well for you. I live in the middle of the woods and getting to a gym is a big chore and I prefer to work out alone. So might be looking into something like this. I am good about doing strength/core at home with body weight and some free weights but would like to have more options.

Yes. Tonal just released a running specific program two weeks ago called 20-in-20 for Runners. 20 workouts (5x per week for four weeks), 20 minutes each. They have a couple of bike and swim programs as well. They also have “articles” that suggest which workouts to do for runners, cyclists, and swimmers so you could design your own program from those suggestions.

Tonal’s 20-in-20 workout programs are no joke. I’ve done all three of Tony Horton’s and they will kick your ass. I’m going to try the running one next. Horton doesn’t coach that one.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the pool I swim at, is part of a state of the art modern gym, with all the equipment I could ever want. I pay for it, and I’m already there, so it’s a no brainer. So much so, that I got rid of all my home gym equipment, and this allowed my wife to expand her sewing room, to our entire lower level. Total win-win.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Yes. Tonal just released a running specific program two weeks ago called 20-in-20 for Runners. 20 workouts (5x per week for four weeks), 20 minutes each. They have a couple of bike and swim programs as well. They also have “articles” that suggest which workouts to do for runners, cyclists, and swimmers so you could design your own program from those suggestions.

Tonal’s 20-in-20 workout programs are no joke. I’ve done all three of Tony Horton’s and they will kick your ass. I’m going to try the running one next. Horton doesn’t coach that one.

Wow, that's really cool! I'd be interested in the Runners program to keep my body more resistant to injury.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
For me, the pool I swim at, is part of a state of the art modern gym, with all the equipment I could ever want. I pay for it, and I’m already there, so it’s a no brainer. So much so, that I got rid of all my home gym equipment, and this allowed my wife to expand her sewing room, to our entire lower level. Total win-win.

Ya, this is more or less my situation also except that I've never bought any home gym equipment since I've always gone to the gym to swim since age 13. Swimming has just always been part of my daily life and most pools are part of a gym with weights, etc.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like SBR in a group makes you faster, so does training in a gym help the psyche. I have squat rack and barbells at home.. but my deadlift is 50lb higher at the gym using same equipment. It's nice to have the home gym for bad weather days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first lifted a weight bar (seriously) in the summer of 1980 in prep for college football. Prior to that, I started in the basement using the proverbial "Sears" 110lb. set endorsed by Ted Williams. I have seen every device, plan, and program as far back as Jack Lalanne, up to Peloton... To the "Mirror, mirror on the wall."

For the past 6-10 years, I have used a 3/4" galvanized pipe mounted as a pull-up bar in the garage, and a homemade suspension (TRX"ish") device that consists of knotted climbing rope and PVC. I use cinder blocks for overhead presses, and dead lifts.
Strength sessions are year-round -- are adapted to water and air temps, and include push-ups, mtn.climbers, plank-to-pushup, and air squats on an SUP. I push/pull a kayak paddle in every possible direction under water while standing chest deep in the lake (Learned that from Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa out on Oahu). Learned, and use some highly functional exercises from Laird on Youtube.

I have a degree in Ex.Sc., and have yet to find a 3x/wk. alternating push/pull 6 exercise routine that beats the functionality and time efficiency of TRX in the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bodyweight exercises are great, but you are never going to get really strong doing them, it's just too hard to create a big enough resistance. So if by training at home you just mean kettle bells and bodyweight exercise, it's quite limited imo. If you have a bar and squat rack training at home becomes much more realistic. Of course my definition of strong is probably a little different to others as I have a strength background and transitioned into endurance sports later in life. You might be able to get "strong enough" in relation to triathlon with bodyweight and kettle bells, but it really depends on your goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For an athlete- gym exercises are a SUPPLEMENT to the real activities.

For gym people - gym exercises are a SUBSTITUTE for real activities.

Most people at the gym pursue their fake exercise with all the flakiness that excuse driven activity merits.
Why surround yourself with that?

Do functional strength activities before, after or during your real training.
If there is a gym at the pool or you are running on a treadmill to escape hot or cold- sure use the gym.

Otherwise don't waste your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also have a Tonal. Love it. The convenience of a home workout space is unbeatable for me. Mine is in the living room, next to the two bikes setup for Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
For an athlete- gym exercises are a SUPPLEMENT to the real activities.

For gym people - gym exercises are a SUBSTITUTE for real activities.

Most people at the gym pursue their fake exercise with all the flakiness that excuse driven activity merits.
Why surround yourself with that?

Do functional strength activities before, after or during your real training.
If there is a gym at the pool or you are running on a treadmill to escape hot or cold- sure use the gym.

Otherwise don't waste your time.

damn, that's some serious judginess...
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
cherry_bomb wrote:
2) Practical/psychological - if I've made the effort to go to the gym and I'm surrounded by other people working out, I'll get it done.

That's me, absolutely

ETA: The funny thing is --- I don't really talk to anybody, other than maybe the desk staff, so going to the gym isn't much of a Social Situation

As I've said before, I have found that a tech race shirt functions fairly well as an Invisibility Cloak and my alternative outfit of black Punk Rock tees + VANS might be off-putting to some people, so they kind of avoid me LOL [not like I'd even hear them over the scream of NYC Hardcore in my earbuds]

same here, regarding not talking to anybody - yet, oddly? i very much appreciate their company. a simple nod of acknowledgement seems good enough, and they all seem to get it. just need to get there early am, before the 'social set' rolls in.

cmart, sounds like you can go either way with it, the equipment and goals are the deciding factors imo. ability to use heavier weights may be important. hear you
on the residual 'feel good' effects too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Hi!

Can't really find any studies or recommendations but seems like gym strength training is superior to working out at home with some kettlebells for example.

What I would do at home is like squats, one-legged squats, deadlifts, maybe some body weight exercises, everything with additional weights of kettlebells.
Same exercises in the gym basically, maybe leg press or so added, but with more weight usually.

Any experiences in comparison for these two options? Strength training also used to make feel good, maybe hormones or so. Therefore definitely want to do it more over the winter, maybe even sticking with it after that.

If I had to go to a gym to workout I wouldn't workout. Very time consuming, driving, parking, waiting for equipment etc... If you're a heavy sweater then you can chance the petri dish of the shower or sweat all over your car.

I have over the last several decades accumulated enough equipment that I can do all that I need or want to do in the comfort of my own home at any time I want.

Get a cheap rack/bench and weights off Amazon and a set of adjustable dumbbells and you're pretty much set.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
same here, regarding not talking to anybody - yet, oddly? I very much appreciate their company. a simple nod of acknowledgement seems good enough, and they all seem to get it. just need to get there early am, before the 'social set' rolls in.

During the week, I'm with after-work crowd, whom I hope don't mind me shouting the answers out while I watch Jeopardy! from the treadmill

Friday afternoons, I get there around 4 o'clock - in time for the teachers & moms who need to blow off steam after a rough week with their kids

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all the "at home" folks, who spots you on your heavy lifts? Aren't lifting heavy enough to need spotters, you say? Why bother, then?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by piratetri [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: piratetri: Sep 22, 22 7:50
Re: Strength training in Gym vs. at Home [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
I swap those spotter exercises for something I can do safely on my own. Instead of barbell squats I do hex bar deadlifts (trap bar) or single leg split squats with heavy dumbbells. You can literally lift to failure and just drop the weights. Swap barbell bench press for dumbbell bench press so you can drop the weights if you get into trouble.

Get creative and think outside the box.

D'uh, get your sarcas-mo-meter recalibrated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next