Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems kinda silly because the training log and the training calendar are basically the same thing just in a different format.
weird how they made one part of the paid membership and the other one not......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
here's my question, because i'm a STRAVA premium member, but i don't use their training log. i use our own here. so, i don't know.

are you saying that you MUST be a STRAVA premium member or you're locked out of your data? that's a little shitty if it's the case. one would think some warning would be in order. beyond that, i have no quarrel with STRAVA charging.

i would assume, tho, that the worst case is you pay to be a premium member, you export your data, and then you cancel. is that the protocol, if you want to migrate to a different log?

No, you still have all of your data. You can either go through your own feed or go to the training Calendar (which is different than the training Log). The training log will tell you how much SBR you've been doing weekly/monthly iirc. Calendar will just have all of your activities on a calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I believe the lead is being buried. Strava putting Segments details behind a paywall is the sexy headline, but the issue that might really cause people pain, depending how they handle it, is moving Training Log to the subscription plan.

I've had a chance to go in and poke around on the updated free desktop/browser site. The "Training Log" link is blacked out, indicating it's a subscription-only feature. However, access remains for "My Activities," which you can still sort by Date, Title, time, Distance, or Elevation; ascending or descending. You can search for any activity (or activities) by keyword, and you can limit your search to a particular Sport (default is "All Sport Types"). Each Activity Title is a hotlink to the actual Activity page.

Also, the "Training Calendar" is still available, where total cumulative training hours, miles, and activity counts for all sports combined can be seen by year and by month. In the month view, there are also hot links back to the actual activities. The snazzy bar graphs showing training miles by week (annual page) or day (monthly page) are still there, too.

What's missing are the weekly totals that are in Training Log, and the ability to see any cumulative training hours and/or mileage segregated by Sport, although you can get some of the latter in the "My Stats" area of your profile.

So, it's a bit less useful than it used to be, but it's not like they completely blocked you from accessing your history. You can still see all your individual workouts sequenced in various ways, as well as some high-level aggregate data by month and year. Seems satisfactory for free-ware, especially if you consider it in the context of everything else they are giving away with the free service. Now that I've seen what's still available for free, I do not feel hard-done by the change. If I had one wish, it would be the ability to set a date range for the "My Activities" list. But, as the old saying goes "Beggars can't be choosers."

TL;DR-They didn't go full A-hole the workout history. Pay-walling "Training Log" is not the disaster I feared it might be. You can still see your stuff.

As for the new free Segments page, I'm inclined to agree with jflan that the it seems far less likely to "hook" a new rider than the old one. Not being able to see where you stand relative to any of your friends, or see how your effort compares to past efforts (other than your current ET vs your PB ET), reduces the immediate-interest factor considerably. As my interest in Segments is not what it once was, I'm personally not that chapped about the Segments update. But I'm honestly not sure how engaged I would have stayed with Strava at the beginning had the free Segments page looked like it does now. I might still be happily chugging along on RideWithGPS.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 20, 20 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not entirely locked out of my own data, training calendar will let me go back and look at any ride/run/kayak etc i have ever uploaded. but i can't use the segment pages to compare any of those efforts. even on private segments i've created. so today i did a zwift race and wanted to see how my leith hill time compared to the past....can't do that without looking through the calendar to find every zwift ride where i did leith hill....essentially impossible. and since zwift leaderboards are ridiculous in the first place, the only useful way to look at them was with the filter...those i follow, clubs, or my past efforts. so now it's useless. zwift needs to capitalize on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To test this, I'm requesting Strava's "bulk dump" feature as a non-paying user.

Hopefully I'll get a link to massive dump of like 9 years of GPX files (hopefully with power data). Any maybe all the pictures and comments I've ever made too.

Hopefully with power data. I know at one point there was some issue with bulk download stripping out power data. Which is anathema to any red blooded 'twitcher.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stava segments have a negative connotation for a lot of people that they find the app off-putting. To get a good time on a Strava segment, you sometimes have to bend the rules whether they be laws (like stop signs, speed limits, right of way), etiquette to the trail or other users, or safety. Maybe the greyed out leaderboard for the majority of users will reduce this once the worst offenders realize that they don't belong in the top 10.

I would have loved to see the ability for segment creation go to only subscribers, that would limit the amount of terrible segments being created.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, that would make too much sense though! segment creation should be a pay feature, as should the sorting by weight, age, etc.... but the full board should be available to the free version and also my historical results. without those at a minimum, i can't see any reason to bother to look at leaderboards.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm truly impressed with the bulk data dump.

It was fast and easy.

And it's *everything*. Every picture, every ride (with power data, looks like the raw upload), every post comment, every route created. Settings, flags, preferences. Everything.

Some nostalgia looking at stuff from like 10 years ago.

Only minor quibbles, like there's no dates on the pictures so they're all a big jumble.

But overall Strava knocked this one out of the park.
Last edited by: trail: May 20, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not about 5€ but their basic stuff is not even as expected. It's a real jungle in segments, new world records. They should have at least a basic verification algorithm so a ride \run can be in leaderboards. They can do so much and they have nothing in last 6 years, nothing. They need to have way more value in the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you poked, and you poked again, with snide remarks. and then you finally got a poke back, to which you take umbrage. there is nothing but good information on this thread. your informed commentary is welcome. would be welcome. your style is a problem. consider that.

Not really to rehash this since I didn't see the comment until now. I just want to point out that his style ain't exactly the best either. In the space in which I work I have built data sets and surveys and the data is very valuable to whom I've worked with and for. I'm not exactly taking umbrage with anything.

This thread though would be great data for Strava. It has many customers, both subscription and non-subscription stating their opinions. All individual data points that can be configured to provide an overarching consumer opinion of the decision made by Strava. Looking in this thread, Twitter, and Facebook. There are quite a lot of negative opinions. The data we give Facebook, Instagram, Strava, MapMyRun, etc is very valuable. I will stand by that because I've seen how companies make decisions based on data.

However, with that you know my opinion on what Strava is, so this will be the last of what I write in this thread.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Training Log has just updated and now shows all types of activities with a filter to just show the ones you want, unlike where anything other than swim/bike/run used to show as just a "XT". So it look's like they are rolling out a bunch of updates to the site at the same time as this paywall. Their graphs and stats are also a lot better now than the last time i saw them a few years back. Maybe they will address a lot of the old standing requests that are out there (and fingers crossed custom colours lol) :-)

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the new training log. Finally! I was using veloviewer to view historic data to compare years and training time that included xc skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Yeah, I anticipated this a while back. Downloaded all my Strava rides into Dropbox, and started syncing all my new rides directly to Dropbox in parallel with all the sites I used.

A bit of a bummer because Strava's database search capabilities are truly unparalleled. But I just don't fully trust that I'll have unfettered access to that database (even paying).

See my edit above. Sync in GC still works.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 20, 20 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Huh...and yet the Training Calendar still appears to be available without paying, with all the rides still in there and accessible.

Mine was available this morning. Just logged back in, now it's blocked.

I'm still seeing it...

Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
gary p wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Huh...and yet the Training Calendar still appears to be available without paying, with all the rides still in there and accessible.

Mine was available this morning. Just logged back in, now it's blocked.

I'm still seeing it...

Training Calendars are free and are remaining. Training Logs are paywalled.

Much of the confusion is most people didn't even know they had a training log and so are slightly up in arms that they are losing something they never used.........
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll take time to get used to these crazy colors, but ZOMG finally I can see my strength stuff with SBR in one place!!! 5 years since this particular request, glad it got done regardless of what happens next...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only replying this to Dan because there was no obvious post to reply to, and he's the head cheese around here... :-)

But, I thought a link to this piece by Cosmo Catalano (the guy who does the "How the Race Was Won" videos) deserves to be in this thread. It's a GREAT summary of the history/missteps/foibles of the Strava story, and pretty much captures my take on it as well. I've actually never paid for a subscription because after trialing it a few times I was always "meh" on the premium features, especially since I thought most of them were half-baked. Then, they started screwing with the feeds and all that other stuff during the "we want to be Instagram" phase, and I guess I'm just in the camp of "you need to show me you're actually going to listen to your users" before I give them money. Anyway, enjoy!

https://medium.com/...ou-back-b6928d6e8b5b

edit: And to be totally honest, probably about the only feature they paywalled that I'll really miss as it stands is being able to see my own historical results on a particular segment.

Last edited by: Tom A.: May 20, 20 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17 cents a day and people are complaining. Incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
changed over for me today as well. "new" free version of segment page is essentially useless. if i were new to strava, i would find nothing of interest or value viewing this page. as i said before, the "hook" that gets in interested in following your times, or others you may or may not know IRL is now gone. If I were a new user, there is nothing now to differentiate this app from other fitness trackers, or route building apps.

it's a good observation. It would be interesting to know what their current growth of new subscribers is (it may not be that large). But to your point, they may need to think about free "trial subscriptions" for new users, because if you didn't know what was behind the paywall, it probably would not seem to be worth the cost. I just kind of take for granted that everyone has had a trial subscription for the past 5 or 6 years;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good link, his how the race was won videos were the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not paying yet, and I just might, but I just checked on my page on a segment that I am outside of the top 10. Of course I could still see my own PR, but I could also see that I was in 57th place on that particular segment next to a link to "See the full leaderboard". I couldn't see anything else outside the top 10 naturally. I wrote earlier that pretty much the only things that are important for me are KOMs, Top 10s and my PRs. I thought I would not be able to see my ranking in any of my segments that were outside of the Top 10s, but those are still viewable. So, I am even less irritated than I was before ;)

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your sentiment. Sound bad, but when you look at it, it's not that bad. It is nice to see some updates to the web UI and some new metrics, even if they aren't very useful. STRAVA is attempting to improve their service and add new features. We all shell out more money for TP than STRAVA is asking for and TP has barely pushed any updates in the last 5 years (that I am aware of at least).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it should change for you soon, and you won't like what you see. you will be more irritated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they take away my ability to see those 3 things on my own page then I might relent and pay. Or, I might just go to a competitor. The thrill of KOMs and Top 10s is wearing off, and at 52 years old my ornery old ass might not react well to a forced hand. For now, I'm okay with the changes

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
but I could also see that I was in 57th place on that particular segment next to a link to "See the full leaderboard".

57th is a 'serving suggestion'. It's a static image showing what it looks like if you had a subscriber account.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next