Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you poked, and you poked again, with snide remarks. and then you finally got a poke back, to which you take umbrage. there is nothing but good information on this thread. your informed commentary is welcome. would be welcome. your style is a problem. consider that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more I think about it, the more I believe the lead is being buried. Strava putting Segments details behind a paywall is the sexy headline, but the issue that might really cause people pain, depending how they handle it, is moving Training Log to the subscription plan. If you've chosen Strava to be your "Master Fitness Log" and they suddenly put years of your history behind a paywall, that's the bigger breach of trust, in my opinion. In the most technical sense, I understand that nobody is owed anything for free. But when you offer, or even solicit, to host somebody's fitness history data gratis, the implication is that you will continue to allow free access to that history. Strava are within their rights to later ask people to pay to continue to access it, but it almost feels like blackmail, especially given that any number of other places continue to offer this service at no cost. I got in before the change and was able to extract my data, but I have several hundred manually uploaded workouts (mostly pool swims & treadmill runs) that I'm not sure I can easily bulk transfer to Garmin Connect, or any other platform.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I use ride with gps and final surge.
- Ride with GPS does have leader boards, albeit very limited, but I mainly use it for route planning and such. Most of the rides in our area use this and it is easy to download event and ride routes.
- Final Surge is my “record” site where I can see my stats.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I think this is in interesting comment from reddit
I'm not a big Strava user so I really don't have an opinion either way.

level 1
PositiveCurrent6
55 points
·
2 hours ago
I'll copy paste my rant to a friend over it which gives more than my 2 cents.

In my opinion .... nothing has changed in basicly 10 years... they've totally failed to innovate or develop new features ... i mean becon, route builder ... that's it. They've totally neglected masses of forms of income. they've got a platform which they could use for advertising and sales shamelessly and i bet people wouldn't even care. They have data on which running shoes you have. Cool, track how long before they're fucked. Sell that data for 10000 people back to the manufacturer so they can continually improve their shoe designs. You send me an email saying "yo dawg your shoes are knackered" "oh cool. Want to sell me some new ones? no? ok fine" But they can't even do that because they collect the information in free text because they're morons... Same with tyres etc etc. You have a service due on your bike, check out these bike mechanics in your area.

Oh what's that? you have a new race in the calendar. Have a training plan, we'll sell you that.

They have the ability to collect data on, activity, exercise, purchases, nutrition, kit, wear times, injuries " We've noticed you havn't exercised lately, are you injured? can we reccomend you PTs, Physios? how about a rehab training course focusing on XYZ and the other" There's so damn fucking much they can do with it .... but they're fools.

They've got the opportunity to be the google of exercise. instead they're cutting off their supply of money (Data) and killing the only aspect which keeps the platform running and that's it being a social network. because even if i pay for it ... a load of people wont and will stop using it. so the social aspect will be gone and it'll die.

This gets well at how I feel.

Good points all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So..you don't really have a degree or the qualifications ;-) As Slowman said, you kept poking and poking, but then you took offense when someone poked you back.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
That seems like an unreal bad decision. Pretty much the only reason I, and many other people I know, use strava is for segments. No one who pays for trainingpeaks or a coach is going to pay for TP in addition to Strava. And then this kills the fun for a lot of people in my local cycling club for instance, who have been doing a Segment of the Week challenge. Sure, one person who pays can still see everything but it's way less fun to not immediately see your results and where you stack up. They've probably done the math and know that 10% more paying customers easily offsets 30% of their free customer base never using it again or something like that, but really disappointing to see.

It's a worse decision if the company doesn't institute some sort of revenue generating model and goes out of business. That's the math they did. I also pay for TrainingPeaks and additionally pay for Strava Summit. I pay for Strava Summit exclusively for the Beacon feature. Before I leave for a long Bike ride the feature sends my wife a link where she can track my ride in real time. I've researched other companies that offer this safety and tracking feature, and this is by far the cheapest.

Cyclists will pay $2,000 for a wheelset, but are upset over a $5 per month subscription for an app they use and enjoy daily?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Cue the free alternative to Strava in 3..2..1..

It's called http://www.RideWithGPS.com. Been around for years and their segments stink by comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
That seems like an unreal bad decision. Pretty much the only reason I, and many other people I know, use strava is for segments. No one who pays for trainingpeaks or a coach is going to pay for TP in addition to Strava. And then this kills the fun for a lot of people in my local cycling club for instance, who have been doing a Segment of the Week challenge. Sure, one person who pays can still see everything but it's way less fun to not immediately see your results and where you stack up. They've probably done the math and know that 10% more paying customers easily offsets 30% of their free customer base never using it again or something like that, but really disappointing to see.

It's a worse decision if the company doesn't institute some sort of revenue generating model and goes out of business. That's the math they did. I also pay for TrainingPeaks and additionally pay for Strava Summit. I pay for Strava Summit exclusively for the Beacon feature. Before I leave for a long Bike ride the feature sends my wife a link where she can track my ride in real time. I've researched other companies that offer this safety and tracking feature, and this is by far the cheapest.

Cyclists will pay $2,000 for a wheelset, but are upset over a $5 per month subscription for an app they use and enjoy daily?

Garmin Connect does that for free, but then again you'll need a Garmin device.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I believe the lead is being buried. Strava putting Segments details behind a paywall is the sexy headline, but the issue that might really cause people pain, depending how they handle it, is moving Training Log to the subscription plan.
I don't recall reading about this in DCR's article or elsewhere. Was this something that was also removed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:
gary p wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I believe the lead is being buried. Strava putting Segments details behind a paywall is the sexy headline, but the issue that might really cause people pain, depending how they handle it, is moving Training Log to the subscription plan.

I don't recall reading about this in DCR's article or elsewhere. Was this something that was also removed?

Last edited by: gary p: May 20, 20 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Good to know. I use a Wahoo Bolt when riding, but have a Garmin for my Run and Swims. Wahoo also have Live Track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
jaretj wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I pay for Strava Summit exclusively for the Beacon feature. Before I leave for a long Bike ride the feature sends my wife a link where she can track my ride in real time. I've researched other companies that offer this safety and tracking feature, and this is by far the cheapest.

Good to know. I use a Wahoo Bolt when riding, but have a Garmin for my Run and Swims. Wahoo also have Live Track.

Or just use the "Find My Iphone/Friends" app (or the Android equivalent).

Last edited by: gary p: May 20, 20 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
jaretj wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I pay for Strava Summit exclusively for the Beacon feature. Before I leave for a long Bike ride the feature sends my wife a link where she can track my ride in real time. I've researched other companies that offer this safety and tracking feature, and this is by far the cheapest.

Or just use the "Find My Iphone/Friends" app (or the Android equivalent).

Life360 handles both iPhone and Android (together, even)...and there's a free version ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
carbenfire wrote:
gary p wrote:

Huh...and yet the Training Calendar still appears to be available without paying, with all the rides still in there and accessible.

BTW, the latest version of GoldenCheetah has a sync feature with Strava, so that's one way of extracting all your rides, if you don't have them already (I might have to check to see that functionality still works now, though)

Edit: just checked and the sync function in GC still works. So access to ride files isn't currently an issue. That said, this change basically broke the extra utility I had from Veloviewer. I originally subscribed to Veloviewer (~$15/year) in order to regain the ability to set my feed back to chronological. But, I really like the extra insight into the segments it gave...and now that Strava saw the error of their ways with the chronological feed..

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 20, 20 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
doug in co wrote:
AWS which underpins everything else on the internet

Er, that's a bit of an overstatement. They're dominant at near 50% of "cloud" market share. But that sure isn't "everything else."

try the experiment as in the article - see how much of the internet works, when you block all AWS/Amazon sites. Not much..
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a subscription with Strava for a number of years now (why? I'm not sure because WKO5 is way better for the data.). If Strava were to stumble into this thread my wish list as a paying subscriber is give me an option on the PC and mobile version to turn off the stupid over excessive challenges listed on my feed. Not only ones that I can choose, but all the countless challenge acceptances and/or achievements from those I follow. I don't care if someone achieved one of those challenges! I really would love to turn that off.

otherwise carry on :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have turned off connections for Strava to collect any of my data. Will continue to use Training Peaks and Garmin as well as look at other options. Maybe I will go back maybe not.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Huh...and yet the Training Calendar still appears to be available without paying, with all the rides still in there and accessible.

Mine was available this morning. Just logged back in, now it's blocked.

Last edited by: gary p: May 20, 20 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

BTW, the latest version of GoldenCheetah has a sync feature with Strava, so that's one way of extracting all your rides, if you don't have them already (I might have to check to see that functionality still works now, though)

Mine was available this morning. Just logged back in, now it's blocked.[/quote]
Yeah, I anticipated this a while back. Downloaded all my Strava rides into Dropbox, and started syncing all my new rides directly to Dropbox in parallel with all the sites I used.

A bit of a bummer because Strava's database search capabilities are truly unparalleled. But I just don't fully trust that I'll have unfettered access to that database (even paying).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The app changed for me this morning. I mainly use the route builder, which is fantastic if you have a certain amount of time you can be out (kids, wife, etc.) I use it all the time for new routes to figure out how long they will take to ride (its pretty damn accurate). Segments I use to compare my times, I don't really care about how I compare to others as I have seen an old co-worker who rides an e-bike on leaderboards so I figure its useless. Another thing I like is the ability to see how many miles you have on your bike for maintenance (chain swap).

I have no problem paying them. They create a product, I like some of it, don't use some of it. So what. Plus, about 8 years ago I emailed them and their VP of product responded and we had a back and forth on the product. I appreciate things like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Android and iOS have plenty of free options that will do what Beacon does.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
changed over for me today as well. "new" free version of segment page is essentially useless. if i were new to strava, i would find nothing of interest or value viewing this page. as i said before, the "hook" that gets in interested in following your times, or others you may or may not know IRL is now gone. If I were a new user, there is nothing now to differentiate this app from other fitness trackers, or route building apps.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
changed over for me today as well. "new" free version of segment page is essentially useless. if i were new to strava, i would find nothing of interest or value viewing this page. as i said before, the "hook" that gets in interested in following your times, or others you may or may not know IRL is now gone. If I were a new user, there is nothing now to differentiate this app from other fitness trackers, or route building apps.

It's useless for me now too.

Really, the thing I liked was my training log but since that's gone I'll stick to TP since I already pay for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Glypmse app reports your position as well, and it's free.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's my question, because i'm a STRAVA premium member, but i don't use their training log. i use our own here. so, i don't know.

are you saying that you MUST be a STRAVA premium member or you're locked out of your data? that's a little shitty if it's the case. one would think some warning would be in order. beyond that, i have no quarrel with STRAVA charging.

i would assume, tho, that the worst case is you pay to be a premium member, you export your data, and then you cancel. is that the protocol, if you want to migrate to a different log?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next