Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
That seems like an unreal bad decision. Pretty much the only reason I, and many other people I know, use strava is for segments. No one who pays for trainingpeaks or a coach is going to pay for TP in addition to Strava.

It’s like ten bucks a month. You won’t pay for both?

Like 4 gels?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Chemist wrote:
As an aside, I would pay for a super premium membership that let me "fix" all the segments in the area I live. Too many duplicate segments with slightly different starting or ending points. Too many hill-climb segments that end after you start to descent on the other side. Too many segments that end just after a stop sign or light. And not every 100 feet of a bike path needs to have it's own segment. This all starts to litter the segment explorer and make it hard to find good or competitive segments.

I'd pay if they fixed that. That's some BS you now have to pay for it but segment explorer is a cluster.

Also, sure hope on route builder they fixed that crap where for a bike ride it wants to randomly use all the stupid sidewalks and stuff and won't use other stuff that's legit. I'd hate to be paying and have the problems I've had with route builder.

Agreed on this- there is a lot of segment cluster-F for sure. Also a reason to not have "live" segments on your garmin or whatever- the thing beeps continuously then.

Can already do this. Go to PC version. Hide all the crap segments. It makes it great again.

I am down to mostly just strava insider verified segments
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt - I totally agree with your view(s).
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:

Like 4 gels?

It's not just $10 or 4 gels. It's that every site wants a recurring chunk of my paycheck. It's pretty easy to waste away $1K / year in unnecessary subscriptions.

Maybe I'm just too cheap, but when I see a subscription service, I raise my bar on what I expect because I know it's easy to forget to cancel it after your interests shift. You either forget to cancel it and it auto-renews for another year, or your interest declines a bit, and it's now below a threshold of something that should be getting a piece of your paycheck.

My wife and I have recurring calendar events to re-evaluate our subscriptions.
Last edited by: rijndael: May 24, 20 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also worth noting that there are plenty of other route creators out there that are free, and not as much of a pain in the ass. Komoot, Garmin, ride with GPS, etc. I actually only just started using Strava routes since Garmin made it easier to import. In the past, I only occasionally used Strava routes vs Connect. Uploading GPX to Strava still works :)

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
That seems like an unreal bad decision. Pretty much the only reason I, and many other people I know, use strava is for segments. No one who pays for trainingpeaks or a coach is going to pay for TP in addition to Strava.

Like 4 gels?

Most people use segments because it's free. They are just not that invested in it. I'm happy to fork out $10/month on movies, music, news etc but paying $10/month to have access to some component on a fitness app? Strava have over-estimated people's interest in segments. Try charging people to go into the public library. Even if it's $1/month, they won't go. It's nothing to do with the money. It could be $10 or $1 or 10c. People won't pay as companies like Photobucket very quickly found out.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Animalmom2 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Like 4 gels?

Most people use segments because it's free. They are just not that invested in it. I'm happy to fork out $10/month on movies, music, news etc but paying $10/month to have access to some component on a fitness app? Strava have over-estimated people's interest in segments. Try charging people to go into the public library. Even if it's $1/month, they won't go. It's nothing to do with the money. It could be $10 or $1 or 10c. People won't pay as companies like Photobucket very quickly found out.

Replying here, but more general.

Clearly there are some here that are very invested in segments. Otherwise they wouldn't care at all that they were going behind the paywall.
When I looked at the forum poll (may have changed in last couple of days) then two thirds were just going to carry on uploading and take what's free, 15% were going to pay now when they didn't and 30% said they would disconnect.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Animalmom2 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Like 4 gels?

Replying here, but more general.

Clearly there are some here that are very invested in segments. Otherwise they wouldn't care at all that they were going behind the paywall.
When I looked at the forum poll (may have changed in last couple of days) then two thirds were just going to carry on uploading and take what's free, 15% were going to pay now when they didn't and 30% said they would disconnect.

Possibly. But many people don't like free shit being taken away rather them hence their angst. I'm sure there are many that are very invested in segments, but to what degree I don't know. Personally I've never really got the attraction. It's the kind of thing I would normally like, but there's not a whole lot of integrity going on so some of the leaderboards can be a bit meaningless. Our club ride used to finish with a 500m sprint which was a segment and I was impressed with my 65km/hr, but I was like 30th. Then i found out people would wait for a storm and do the segment with a massive tailwind, one guy got his missus to drive his landcruiser in front of him and clocked past 80km/hr, others would just go and ride that 500m segment fresh and then go home, rather than 80km finishing with 500m. I think the guy at the top of the leaderboard for that segment is like 40kg overweight... It's kinda like podiuming when there's only 3 in your age group.
Last edited by: zedzded: May 24, 20 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I never got fully into the segments. I would occasionally check the leaderboards but eventually I just tried to be my own times rather than move up the leaderboard.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a coder but i think the .gz is just a compression. if you download .fit.gz files from training peaks you can double click to get a .fit file that is a standard.

dunno if you can import the .gz directly to some platforms.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I guess I never got fully into the segments. I would occasionally check the leaderboards but eventually I just tried to be my own times rather than move up the leaderboard.

But that's part of what's gone. You can't see the list of your results anymore. Just the top 10 and your top result.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that. I can create segments in Garmin connect and track my results there if I care to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with this. People are petty, me included. Whilst I do love knocking off koms I'm probably more interested in analysing my performance across previous activities so that being pay walled is frustrating. That being said I cant bring myself to give them any amount of money for taking away what has been free for so long. I just don't see it as a smart move much the same as photo bucket like you mention. The reason the strava community is what it is today is because of how it was structured from the beginning. If you made people pay for segments at the start I doubt they would be where they are now. Their lack of innovation over the last decade is why they are not in a profitable position now. I don't see why they couldn't go down the path of almost all other freemium based businesses and just use ads for source revenue.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [raulsan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shared the file types in case folks were interested. All of my files were created using a Garmin device so I have them all saved in a second location, but good to know. Thanks!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sums it up nicely.
I'll pay a one time fee for a lot of things, but subscriptions really irk me.
I've already got too many automatic payments draining my account and to keep track of, they all seem to increase regularly without me noticing.
Last edited by: BLACKSHEEP: May 25, 20 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bro nothing has changed just go faster and be in the top 10. Free users still can get KOMs and be in the top ten do you really care if you are outside the top 10 but in the top 100? I hardly care about being 2nd. Segments have always kinda struck me as something where you are either first or last. Get faster.

but in all seriousness I understand strava. It is a hard decision but I think most users would agree we get more than 5 dollars a month of value from strava
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [TBrownRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kind of thinking a well.

I just checked my training calendar and noticed my km was way lower than what I expected. I checked my activities and my Wahoo Bolt didn't upload the last 4 rides. I reauthorized and resynced, nothing.

Restarted my iPhone. Nope.

Forced closed all my apps on my iPhone and computer. Nope.

Reset Safari, deleted cookies. Nope.

Cleared history on my iPhone. Nope.

Downloaded the files from my Bolt, sent them to Strava. Opened Safari again and checked. Nope.

Tried resending the files to Strava again, got a message that they were already sent. But they were not visible on my calendar.

Stood on my head while practicing voodoo chants and sticking a stuffed animal with pair of scissors and finally got the last 4 rides to appear.

I am now going to keep dried chicken claws hanging in my room for good luck.

Thanks a lot Strava

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there have been some great points made in here on both sides. I would genuinely hope Strava folks follow this forum, and have strongly considered some of these valuable opinions.

I don't really use much beyond what we get for free. I don't care where I sit on the segment board. The top 10 is enough for me to be impressed by the phenomenal athletes who live and train around me. I don't find route builder useful.

I will consider subscribing as my civic duty to the overall community Strava supports. That said, one thing mentioned that does cheese me is the amount of sponsored challenges that pop up in my face. Roka do this or Nuun do that. I mean come on. There is revenue stream available to them beyond needing to hit us with the classic drug dealer model. OK, first taste is free...
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This and the calendar are the two things I'm going to miss. I really liked being able to see my previous results on different segments. I Liked seeing my improvements (or non-.....improvements) from year to year so I'm definitely going to miss that. Don't really care about the leader board stuff that much. I mean it's kind of cool to see where I place but if I'm not already in the top 10 then I'm not really close to getting a KOM anyways. The calendar was something I really liked but trainingpeaks gives me something similar so I can just go look at that for that type of info. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had problems Sunday night getting my file to upload.

After the usual restarting it still did not work.

After a few attempts my Garmin popped up with a password request to log in (oh crap another password I forgot) so I logged in.

It worked and the ride uploaded, the sun burst thru the clouds (it was night) and the birds chirped but I was still old and slow.

Not sure if my problem was the garmin or strava.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I just had a thought about this.

I'm not claiming anything here, just thinking aloud.

I find it interesting they did this during the whole Covid thing with all the events cancelled and folks flocking online to do something instead of nothing. Also after a bunch of groups took their fundraising campaigns virtual and online. So now they're essentially hedging on getting a new incremental cut of that traffic's money from fundraising they didn't before.

I think if this was either coincidental or non-intentional, I would have at least temporarily allowed some kind of charity portal for tracking those events and "segments" or courses.

I dunno, after thinking about it the timing seems really really slimy now. I mean, they could have done this (and maybe should have) years and years ago.

I'm sure this point was already brought up earlier, but I came to the same thought not reading the entire topic through.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
So, I just had a thought about this.

I'm not claiming anything here, just thinking aloud.

I find it interesting they did this during the whole Covid thing with all the events cancelled and folks flocking online to do something instead of nothing. Also after a bunch of groups took their fundraising campaigns virtual and online. So now they're essentially hedging on getting a new incremental cut of that traffic's money from fundraising they didn't before.

I think if this was either coincidental or non-intentional, I would have at least temporarily allowed some kind of charity portal for tracking those events and "segments" or courses.

I dunno, after thinking about it the timing seems really really slimy now. I mean, they could have done this (and maybe should have) years and years ago.

I'm sure this point was already brought up earlier, but I came to the same thought not reading the entire topic through.

likely more the flood from the Ironman VR events and the ability of their servers to handle.... someone has to pay for their bandwidth, electricity, etc... why doesnt anyone ever think of this when it comes to free internet stuff you use? strava, facebook, slowtwitch....
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, if it was a good song then that bird's feet will definitely never make it onto my wall. I'm going to do another ride today and see what happens. If it has a problem uploading then I am busting out the meat cleaver.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you what has changed...the amount of emails I'm getting from Strava about this change. They're worse than Dicks Sporting Goods, it's been like twice/day.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Segments now Paywalled [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my thoughts on this. The original deal was I will use 80% of your site, you will use 100% of my data. Now they are offering 20% of their site, so I'm considering reducing what I'm offering. I haven't deleted my stuff yet, but I'm considering it.The main thing keeping me from deleting is the crappiness that is Garmin Connect's segments. But maybe I can live with that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next