Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strange noise from front wheel- Bearings Shot?
Quote | Reply
I'll probably take the wheel to my LBS, but looking for some advice here.

I have a new to me 2009 Transition, with Ksyrium Equipe training wheels. On my 2nd outdoors ride, in just under 50 miles I had 3 instances of a very strange sound coming from the front end. The sound was a kind of buzzing/grinding noise like a shot bearing.

Each time it was started by a patch of rough pavement, and I had to stop the bike for it to stop making the noise. I inspected the brakes and cutout just to make sure it wasn't a small rock, and I feel pretty confident saying it came from the front end. The front wheel doesn't seem to have any play in the axle. I also removed it and turned the axle by hand and it feels smooth and resistance-free.

I find it strange that the bearings would be shot on a 5 year old bike. I know the 1st and only owner other than myself and he wasn't racking up 5-10k miles per year. Has anyone else experienced this?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange noise from front wheel- Bearings Shot? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
I'll probably take the wheel to my LBS, but looking for some advice here.

I have a new to me 2009 Transition, with Ksyrium Equipe training wheels. On my 2nd outdoors ride, in just under 50 miles I had 3 instances of a very strange sound coming from the front end. The sound was a kind of buzzing/grinding noise like a shot bearing.

Each time it was started by a patch of rough pavement, and I had to stop the bike for it to stop making the noise. I inspected the brakes and cutout just to make sure it wasn't a small rock, and I feel pretty confident saying it came from the front end. The front wheel doesn't seem to have any play in the axle. I also removed it and turned the axle by hand and it feels smooth and resistance-free.

I find it strange that the bearings would be shot on a 5 year old bike. I know the 1st and only owner other than myself and he wasn't racking up 5-10k miles per year. Has anyone else experienced this?

I know you feel the noise comes from the front wheel, but if you have a different front wheel try putting it on. If the noise persists then my vote is: your freehub body seal (yellow rubbery plastic) inside is worn and should be replaced. Mavic has released a new version that supposedly doesn't wear and make the scary Mavic freehub body sound. If it doesn't make noise with a different front wheel then maybe the front brake cable (and/or front brake) is sticky and not allowing the brakes to spring back apart. And/or do you have a CPU sensor/magnet mounted anywhere?? It sounds silly but often those cause mystery noise problems. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange noise from front wheel- Bearings Shot? [someslowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the noise is actually coming from the cassette / free hub. It starts when i am not pedaling, and will stop if I begin pedaling again. Is this the free hub seal that you mentioned?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange noise from front wheel- Bearings Shot? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ride it much on the trainer? i had a friend rust up a bottom bracket (!) after a long winter of really sweaty workouts, once. . .

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange noise from front wheel- Bearings Shot? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the previous owner rode it a lot on the trainer. I'm 99% certain it's the free hub, not the bottom bracket.

The noise only occurs when I am not pedaling. It gets louder, and higher pitched, the faster I am coasting. If I pedal slowly, but not fast enough to engage the gearing, the noise gets softer and lower-pitched. If I pedal backwards it gets louder.

I also noticed that the top of my chain (where it returns from the cassette to the chainring) was slack while this was happening, so there was added resistance in the free hub along with the noise.

At this point I think I need to repair the free hub, or just replace the wheel depending on cost. Is this a fix for a moderately capable home bike mechanic?
Quote Reply