Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes!
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/...ure=player_embedded#

Super light and apparently strong stoppers. I don't like the side routed brake cable and housing for the v-brake. Trek's new Speed Concept brakes definitely keep things cleaner, but the weight of the Storck brakes
is unreal. Also, I think Storck should have a cover over the rear brake to provide a better trailing edge.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 18, 09 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has a price on it been released yet? With Di2, it has to be over 10k. The battery holder is cool, but trek did a way better job of hiding cables. Those brakes look like a bitch to work on.

just my thoughts, ymmv.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$9500 for the "fuselage". You get frame, fork, headset, brakes, stem, and I think bars. With Di2 and race wheels it's going to be well north of $18k.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
trek did a way better job
+1. That Trek has me salivating.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gets me worried when I hear a marketing person spending a lot of time talking about how light a TT bike is.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not a marketing person, that's Marcus Storck, the person who created the bike, the owner of the company

Yes, it's an expensive bike. I think the point of the original post may have been missed: I think the carbon fiber v-brake design could be a superior braking system for more than just the Storck bike. I don't know if these would be hard to maintain. There are no pivot points, so I would imagine you would only need to change pads and keep the bike clean, but that goes for any bike.

And while the Trek has succeeded with a very clean braking system, if the cables on the Storck could be completely concealed, as I'm sure they could be (yes, I understand that the v-brakes are side pull), the Storck is a superior system: no pivots and the weight: 310 grams for the brake and fork. I doubt Trek's fork alone weighs that little.

And yes, weight is a factor on a TT bike. Trek's marketing person says their Speed Concept will be less than 17 pounds in a video. that isn't concerning, it's awesome, as is the Storck's sub 14 pound TT bike.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 09 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to analyticcycling.com and see how relevant 3 lbs are for a TT.

FTP/CDA is the ratio you should focus on.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been discussed many times here and the prevailing opinion is that aero first, weight second. not, aero first, weight never. If you can give me a sub 14 lb bike more areo than a Shiv or Speed Concept, I'm going to take it.

Get rid of the exposed brake cables on the Storck and add a rear brake cover with a better trailing edge, and I think the Storck will be right up there with the Shiv and Speed Concept and maybe better than the P4, Giant Trinity Advanced, Scott Plasma 3

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 09 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your point about the brakes, but they need to be OEMed because of the integration with the frame that's necessary.

but I want to go on and comment on the bike. It seems as though it would need to be custom made for each rider. The front end design is so tightly integrated that as he described spacers for lifting the stem it made me cringe. Without spacers, that stem feeds flush in to the top tube, but with spacers it will destroy that nice unity.

I wish the di2 battery pack could be placed in a better location. If they would be willing to shape the battery differently it could fit nicely inside the main triangle of the frame and offer a small amount of faring ala the P4 water bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well thats even MORE concerning then isn't it, if the creator of the TT bike doesn't 'GET' tt bikes =)

In Reply To:
That's not a marketing person, that's Marcus Storck, the person who created the bike, the owner of the company

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This has been discussed many times here and the prevailing opinion is that aero first, weight second. not, aero first, weight never. If you can give me a sub 14 lb bike more areo than a Shiv or Speed Concept, I'm going to take it.

Maybe if the bike is given to you; however, how much money are you willing to spend to go from 17 lbs to 14 lbs, assuming the same aerodynamics?

At that point, you are spending your money purely on reducing rolling resistance. Is there a better way to spend the money? At 30 mph, rolling resistance contributes 16% of total resistance for me. 30 mph at 360.2 watts. If the bike/rider system was 3 lbs less, then it would save 0.8 watts.

That is probably the most expensive upgrade you could possibly get. You better have every upgrade for your bearings and the best tires/tubes in the business. Additionally, you should spend multiple hours in the wind tunnel at quite a few yaw angles prior to spending the money on a 14 lb bike compared to a 17 pounder.

Please stop perpetuating myths.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please stop perpetuating myths.

I've almost decided to make my signature line, "Weight doesn't matter" a few times just to stir people up. I can't believe how many folks go nuts when you told them weight doesn't matter, well, at least not very much. I tried this with five pounds of dead weight on my time trial bike and my two runs were almost dead even within 2 seconds over 10K.
Next, someone will say something about rotating weight. That's even less significant.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go to analyticcycling.com and see how relevant 3 lbs are for a TT.

FTP/CDA is the ratio you should focus on.

I am using the Wind on Rider Model. I think this is what it is telling me.

For a 4k TT, if I add 1.5Kg (3.3lbs) it would add appx 2.6 seconds

So using sloppy math about 2 minutes for an IM distance ride?

Neat tool, but lol there is an option for advanced data entry and I am not sure I even understand what all the basic options are.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [dalessit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, that one is complicated. go to static forces on rider and do power, given speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you only ride flat courses?

My last 30k timetrial ended with 2 kilometers of uphill riding- my inclinometer showed 28 percent max incline (probably 4 -5 percent average)...(a bit unusual maybe- but still)
Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [drgreen68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
28% would force most people to get off their bikes and walk that section. The one year tour of spain had some 27% grades and guys like Heras were using triples.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Storck Aero2 Brakes Should Become the Norm on Tri AND Road Bikes! [drgreen68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a 4-5 percent grade 3 lbs is only going to make a handful of watts difference. That assumes you only go up. If you come back down, then that is negated. Once again, your money is better spent on many other things prior to buying a light TT frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply