Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Staggered Wheelset
Quote | Reply
I’m 150lbs and ride mostly flat rides with the occasional climb. I have a 2016 Cervelo S2 and finally want to upgrade my stock wheels to a carbon set. First off, it’s not easy finding a set on the used market that’s rim break and clincher. In any case, I’ve been told to not go above 50mm due to handling (and my weight). I found a staggered set and wondered if this would be a good compromise to get a deep wheel without the danger of getting blown off the road.

Reynolds Assault 46/66 Staggered Carbon Tubular Wheelset 700c Rim Brake 1284g

Is a 66 rear wheel dangerous for my weight?

I’m also hoping to do some crit racing for the first time.

BQuin
Quote Reply
Re: Staggered Wheelset [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 130lb and have tried different combinations on a Trek road bike. All carbon rim brake clincher wheels with GP5000 tires.

88mm rear/50mm front: Not good. Rear is too heavy
88mm rear/60mm front: Worse than above
60mm/60mm: Decent setup for both flat and climb
60mm/50mm: I don't feel much difference between this and above 60/60 setup
50mm/50mm: I don't know why but somehow this is the fastest set up so this is my current setup

I also have a Cervelo tri bike so I use these wheels depending on race course, wind...etc.
Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A deeper rear wheel actually makes you more stable, not less. I highly recommend riding a staggered wheelset like that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you sure that you want a set of tubular wheels?

I would strongly recommend clinchers.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Staggered Wheelset [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, hoping for clinchers. I missed that in the description. I guess those are out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 140 lbs and ride an 80 mm rear rim on my tt bike. No issues whatsoever.

Go as deep as you want out back. It's the front wheel that matters more as it's your steering axis. I rode hed jet 6 wheels for ten years and never had a problem at all.

Max 50 depth is not good advice. I wouldn't recommend riding an 80 mm front, just bc the aero benefits of 80 vs 50 or 60 are not that much more. But you could absolutely do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only slight larger than you at 145 lbs. I ride 808 on the front and a disk on the back in almost all conditions. Sometimes things get a little twitching in very high gusty side winds, but that is mainly due to the 808 on the front. It is actually better from a handling standpoint due to the physics of it, to have a staggered wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh about 140 pounds and ride a 58/80mm wheelset every day.
Quote Reply