Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed?
Quote | Reply
Just purchased a new SB20 bike, and tried to assemble it yesterday, and am running into this problem where the bike doesn't show up on bluetooth (so can't pair with stages app), and also has very high resistance when plugged in and doesn't respond to shifting. The high resistance goes away when I unplug the bike.

I just put in a ticket with Stages but word on some Facebook groups is that they can be slow to respond (months in some cases) so hoping anyone here could yield insight on how or what they did to solve this if they ran into it during or after assembly.

I think this is the problem I'm having:
https://support.stagescycling.com/...e-has-100-resistance

And unfortunately, one post on this forum (author Eugene Regis) seems to have had the exact same problem and needed someone to come out to repair his bike (post from Eugene Regis May 9 3:01PM, and then the reply on May 18 12:08PM which said a tech resolved it by coming out and changing out a board in the sb20)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/StagesBikeOwnersGroup/

Again, I've already opened a ticket with Stages but given it's Memorial day wknd, I don't expect to hear from them at the least until the upcoming week, and it might be a lot longer than that per some folks who put in tickets and called the service line as well (I'll try that on the weekday as well)
Last edited by: lightheir: May 28, 23 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Just purchased a new SB20 bike, and tried to assemble it yesterday, and am running into this problem where the bike doesn't show up on bluetooth (so can't pair with stages app), and also has very high resistance when plugged in and doesn't respond to shifting. The high resistance goes away when I unplug the bike.

I just put in a ticket with Stages but word on some Facebook groups is that they can be slow to respond (months in some cases) so hoping anyone here could yield insight on how or what they did to solve this if they ran into it during or after assembly.

I think this is the problem I'm having:
https://support.stagescycling.com/...e-has-100-resistance

And unfortunately, one post on this forum (author Eugene Regis) seems to have had the exact same problem and needed someone to come out to repair his bike (post from Eugene Regis May 9 3:01PM, and then the reply on May 18 12:08PM which said a tech resolved it by coming out and changing out a board in the sb20)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/StagesBikeOwnersGroup/

Again, I've already opened a ticket with Stages but given it's Memorial day wknd, I don't expect to hear from them at the least until the upcoming week, and it might be a lot longer than that per some folks who put in tickets and called the service line as well (I'll try that on the weekday as well)

I’m sorry that you’re having this issue and I don’t have anything to add that isn’t in the FAQ that you linked. I found that the few times that I’ve called Stages that they were immediately responsive. Once you’ve sorted out this issue, I would expect that you should have few, if any, issues going forward. I’ve over 40k Zwift miles on mine and it still works as new.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the DFU Firmware update

This fixed it for one SB20 I know.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly I can't even update the firmware, as the bike can't even be found on bluetooth. (The powermeters can be found.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Sadly I can't even update the firmware, as the bike can't even be found on bluetooth. (The powermeters can be found.)

If it cannot be found on Bluetooth, you probably need one or two new PCBs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Did you put it in FDU mode?

1. Press and hold the top left shift button.
  2. While holding, plug in the bike. Continue holding the shift button for 3-4 seconds and then release.
  3. The bike will power on and advertise as StagesBike DFU.
  4. Use the Stages Cycling app to pair to the bike the same way you would a new bike - it will now show up as StagesBike DFU:

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Did you put it in FDU mode?

1. Press and hold the top left shift button.
  2. While holding, plug in the bike. Continue holding the shift button for 3-4 seconds and then release.
  3. The bike will power on and advertise as StagesBike DFU.
  4. Use the Stages Cycling app to pair to the bike the same way you would a new bike - it will now show up as StagesBike DFU:

Sadly yes, I did this and it still doesn't appear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Man, gutted for you then :( Sorry.

Looks like new controller board will be needed. Fingers crossed Stages support are swift and get a replacement out to you rapid.

I love my SB20, best bit of training kit I purchased - even at the full RRP I paid when it was released.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Man, gutted for you then :( Sorry.

Looks like new controller board will be needed. Fingers crossed Stages support are swift and get a replacement out to you rapid.

I love my SB20, best bit of training kit I purchased - even at the full RRP I paid when it was released.

appreciate the suggestions in any case. Hoping I get through to service soon and get the bike up and running!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:

I’m sorry that you’re having this issue and I don’t have anything to add that isn’t in the FAQ that you linked. I found that the few times that I’ve called Stages that they were immediately responsive. Once you’ve sorted out this issue, I would expect that you should have few, if any, issues going forward. I’ve over 40k Zwift miles on mine and it still works as new.

I've called every day this week at various times, unfortunately they must be swamped after Memorial Day - it goes straight to voicemail. I plan on leaving voicemail every week requesting help, hopefully someone will get back to me sooner rather than later. I did live a ticket online as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only share my experience. I love my SB20. Unfortunately left it plugged in without a surge protector. Had a lightning storm that ended up causing damage to a bunch of electronics in my house, including the bike. Put in a support ticket and it took like three weeks for them to get back to me, including after me leaving several voicemails. I will say that once they did finally get back to me, they were genuine in trying to resolve the issue.

At first I had the 100% resistance and bike not recognized issue. They sent me a new “lower PCB” to install. Did not work. 100% resistance went away but bike still not recognized on Bluetooth. Then they sent a new “upper PCB” to install. Ran through a diagnostic app they had me download. Bike recognized on Bluetooth, but app not recognizing any pedaling. This was as far as I got with courtesy replacements, since damage from power surge is not a warranty issue.

In the end I included the bike as a damaged personal property item in an insurance claim and (today) just pulled the trigger on a new bike.

I guess I am saying all this to show: 1) eventually Stages should get to your ticket and help, and 2) I have some new circuit boards you could try if all else fails.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [urbansombrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yech. Hopefully it's not TOO hard to install those PCB boards....time is $$, and I spent more money on the SB20 than a 'normal' exercise bike partly in hopes of avoiding all this hassle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly 2 wks now, no response from Stages for my submitted ticket and no callbacks after 3 separate phone calls. We'll see long this takes....I can't help but feel that if you spend $2400 for a product though, you should get some prioritization in terms of at least getting a response, as the bike is completely unrideable with this problem.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 8, 23 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Nearly 2 wks now, no response from Stages for my submitted ticket and no callbacks after 3 separate phone calls. We'll see long this takes....I can't help but feel that if you spend $2400 for a product though, you should get some prioritization in terms of at least getting a response, as the bike is completely unrideable with this problem.

Got to be honest (as a EU customer from Stages EU) - the support provided by Stages USA seems an absolute joke. I've read too many of the same comment as yours - zero support. Very unimpressed.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, now nearly a month, 4 phone calls and a computer ticket, and not even a peep in response from Stages to help me with my dead brand-new $2000+ purchase (bought from them direct).

I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. I know for specialty equipment like such, you may have to wait to get help with purchases and services, but at the least, they could send me a note on email or something saying I'm not forgotten.

I now have to seriously consider the option of contacting my credit card company to help with either resolving this or helping get a return/refund processed, as I dont' know if they are ever going to contact me. I may give them another 4 weeks, but after that I think it's fair to say it's a dead deal.

Sadly, I'm also now already looking at other (cheaper) indoor bikes to hold me over as an interim. (I'm hesitant now to use my bike on my Kickr long-term as this is the 3rd time my sweat ruined the front steerer bearing and on my pricey TT bike with the brake cable running through it, I get charged like $250+ every time I have them fix it as it requires a whole front brake cable redo as well - it's literally cheaper and much less worry to get a dedicated bike for it. And yes, I try and sweat protect the heck out of it, multiple towels, fans, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did this play out? In the market for a smart bike currently and this doesn't push Stages to the top of the list
Quote Reply
Re: Stages sb20 "100% resistance" problem - how did you have it fixed? [whittimd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whittimd wrote:
How did this play out? In the market for a smart bike currently and this doesn't push Stages to the top of the list

Do NOT get Stages!

For me, my credit card refunded all my money after I put in a complaint, and Stages customer service only called me AFTER they were contacted by the CC company. They were apologetic, but clearly they didn't have the means to make it right (no offer whatsoever to fix the problem or replace the bike). The only half-decent part is that they arranged for a no-fee bike pickup and I didn't have to pack the bike or include the original shipping crate (which I had discarded). So that part was fine.

It's not just me - go on the Facebook Stages forums, and you'll see there are like 10 people with dead or semi-dead bikes, all of them who have had the same experience as me. I'm just glad I don't have a dead bike - those folks there literally have dead bikes and several say outright they regret every having bought the thing.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 7, 23 10:47
Quote Reply