Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike
Quote | Reply
Been thinking of getting an indoor stationary bike. Well now the wife wants one.

But her requirements are kind of the opposite of mine. She wants to be able to get on, turn it on and go. Get Cal burn, time and distance, HR (though she would be okay wearing her garmin) no apps, no software or systems to boot into or log onto.

In the stages line the SC3 would meet her requirements, but I think fails mine of a smart bike, I could do zwift or some other virtual riding type stuff.

The Stages Solo looks interesting.. but OUCH on the cost. Not sure how fast or easy it is to just get on and ride.

the SB20 is on sale at $1900 right now, so seems to be a good value, but I would need to add some monitors / phone. And I don't think there is a way to have one of them just kind of come on and display the basics she wants.

My original post was going to be how easy is it to set up an SB20 to meet her requirements?

But I am open is there some bike out there that does both? Easy quick simple display, but also more smart bike stuff if you want it?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she has a Garmin, one option would be a present "course" she could start from the Indoor Ride mode. That's probably one of the lower friction options with a smart bike. Otherwise, there's a few very simple apps that you could use on her phone/a dedicated old phone that could do the same job. Nothing is going to be as simple as the standalone spin bikes, but as you've seen the spin bikes aren't really designed for Zwift/TR/etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a stages SB20. My wife rides it even without a Garmin, and I ride zwift. If your wife is middle of the road, there is a simple stages app that shows you all those basic values that you mentioned. And there is a surface in front of the handlebars for a phone, plus a tablet holder. And it's built like a tank. Looks like it will last a lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my stages sb20. Why not have your wife just sync her Garmin with the stages sensors and use that to get her data?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her Garmin is a forerunner 35 so not much connectivity.

But I think if i get some form of a tablet (recomendations? not an Apple family) and put the stages app on that, I might be okay. I think I am going to give it a try. Worst case they have a 60 day return policy, but I can't imagine what a pain that would be to return.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Her Garmin is a forerunner 35 so not much connectivity.

But I think if i get some form of a tablet (recomendations? not an Apple family) and put the stages app on that, I might be okay. I think I am going to give it a try. Worst case they have a 60 day return policy, but I can't imagine what a pain that would be to return.

I'm a very heavy of the SB20, which I purchased after a significant amount of research. It is bomb-proof, highly accurate and reliable, and extremely easy to use and adjust. I'm over 35,000 miles of use on Zwift, along with lots of use on other platforms, and never a problem.

We are not an Apple family, either. This said, I recommend either a refurbed Mini or entry iPad for use on Stage's tablet holder. It's convenient, will run any of the major apps that you'd want (I run Zwift's Companion app on mine), and an iPad's resolution is going to be better and the experience more consistent than you'll find with most reasonably affordable Android tablets.

FWIW, I paid a lot more than current sales price, and I still think that I got a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best Buy (and maybe a few other places) have the last gen iPad on sale for $250 through today. Overkill for the basic apps and I believe sufficient for Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Best Buy (and maybe a few other places) have the last gen iPad on sale for $250 through today. Overkill for the basic apps and I believe sufficient for Zwift.

100% correct. More than sufficient
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Order the Ipad last night, and the bike. email from stages says in a couple days should hear from delivery company.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to know what your mutual experiences have been a month or so in. Your situation sounds similar to mine, without the specific ask from my wife (she's been trying to figure out a go-to quick workout option). I'd be replacing a dedicated bike on a direct drive trainer, so there's not a ton of motivation (besides the new shiny thing) on my end.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to remember to update on how it goes.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hardest part of assembly is getting the box inside. This is a heavy bike, but it’s very easy to set up. Very best to you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SB20 is a tank - very happy with mine so far. I use mine for Zwift on Apple TV, but using a smartphone or iPad mini should suffice. I never use the Stages app, but it probably displays what your wife would want.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any problems with powermeter matching/similar to your race bike powermeter?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Any problems with powermeter matching/similar to your race bike powermeter?

There appears to be an inherent power reading issue with the SB20 cranks, for some its not apparent and they match pretty closely, for some it could result in a substantial over/under reading.

Over on the trainerroad forums and the SB20 FB group, there are some very intelligent users who have done some really deep analysis on the cranks and there is something up with the way the cranks read, depending on however you pedal, how you are seated and the cleat placement, the crank length selected etc. There was talk about it could be an issue when they are factory calibrated on the wrong crank length at manufacture. Its been interesting to read, but its over my head - but the more you read, it definitely feels like there is an issue for some.

I've had a right crank replaced due to it overreading compared to the left crank last year and at the moment, they are within 5w of my Assioma's

So for me, at the moment I feel I can trust the bike to give me the right feedback in terms of training compared to my outdoor bike.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't have a way to compare the power on the SB20 to my bikes. I have Power2Max pm's on three bikes - no pedal power to compare with. I do have RPE and HR and I'd say things are very similar when comparing power on an outdoor ride along with HR/RPE to an indoor ride on the SB20. It could be off by a few watts, but I feel it's very close based on my riding.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A great & v. relevant thread - esp. @ this time of year.

We bought the Stages bike, mainly as a way to make it easier for my wife to "just get on & ride".

She has changed from Zwift curious - to Zwift convert.

Within a month, she signed up for the Tron bike challenge!.

We really like the adjustability of the unit.

It takes less than 60 seconds to make it fit.

As far as the power numbers line up, they are close enough to my 10 year old Powertap.

Right now, we use our Samsung phones & a 99 dollar RCA TV from Wal_Mart to Zwift.

The only issue is that we need to plug it in to the TV to view it, & on some longer rides, the battery starts to run low.

Sell me on why an I-Pad would be a helpful addition here.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're all Zwift and have a TV getting an Apple TV to run Zwift is a better fit than an iPad (and cheaper). The iPad is a good option if you don't have a TV/can't make the set up work with a TV (since it'll run Zwift and be the screen on the built in tablet holder).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the SB-20 and love it. It helps to have a set of hand trucks to get it into the house. Like others have said it is bomb proof. I have a very minimal set up now with just the stages app on my phone. Works fine. Try to set up TV and swift soon as work backs off a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
If you're all Zwift and have a TV getting an Apple TV to run Zwift is a better fit than an iPad (and cheaper). The iPad is a good option if you don't have a TV/can't make the set up work with a TV (since it'll run Zwift and be the screen on the built in tablet holder).

This is a good and accurate summary. Apple TV is probably the easiest, most problem free way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:

I went from an 12.9" ipad to a 32" TV with apple TV and I've actually gone back to the iPad - I find having the touch screen a lot more intuitive that the apple remote - now admittedly there is the newer remote, with proper buttons, which might be nicer now.

Another thing to consider is you benefit of multiple BT streams with the iPAD, so you can run the power numbers off the left crank which gives you a faster response time for cadence and sprints, which if you do any TTT racing makes a difference.

But back to the OP - 1900$ is an absolute steal for the money - don't even give it a second thought - buy now!

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The remote is definitely the weak point of the AppleTV, new one is better, still not great.

But as far as Zwift I only use the remote to start and end the ride. Anything else that I want to do I use the zwift companion app. I find that to be much easier than trying to navigate around with the remote on my tv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure, I have a professional relationship with Stages.

I own an SB20 (and, my Team has ordered more than 200 SC3 for the gyms we run for Google).

I bounce between your spouse's needs and yours. My SB20 meets both.

Typically, I just run Zwift off my phone to control my SB20 or use the Stages App. Super simple to get on and just ride. Occasionally, I'll use the full "Apple TV" experience with my big screen and race on Zwift.

The bottom line is that Stages builds commercial grade quality products and I've had success with their products (I also use their cranks on my bikes).

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the SB20 a couple of months ago. My initial experience has been mixed – after a few weeks, it stopped functioning (no power control/no connection), but Stages European support was quick to reply and sent me out two new PCBs. Swapping these in fixed the power control and connection problems.

Still, I have a question about the pedal feel. Most of the time, when I am "rolling along", there is a slight thrumming feel through the pedals, which I take to be the electromagnetic braking working. This is accompanied by a slight hum. However, if, say, I rapidly increase my power, or go out of the saddle, or use a big virtual gear, I lose this feel on some or all of the pedal stroke and it feels a bit "slushy". Is this typical? Could it be from the belt slipping? In resistance mode, I have also noticed that, for the same virtual gear, over a number of intervals I have needed to increase pedal rpm in order to maintain the same power on each interval, which does not seem right.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages SB20 question. == well maybe any Stationary bike [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
I bought the SB20 a couple of months ago. My initial experience has been mixed – after a few weeks, it stopped functioning (no power control/no connection), but Stages European support was quick to reply and sent me out two new PCBs. Swapping these in fixed the power control and connection problems.

Still, I have a question about the pedal feel. Most of the time, when I am "rolling along", there is a slight thrumming feel through the pedals, which I take to be the electromagnetic braking working. This is accompanied by a slight hum. However, if, say, I rapidly increase my power, or go out of the saddle, or use a big virtual gear, I lose this feel on some or all of the pedal stroke and it feels a bit "slushy". Is this typical? Could it be from the belt slipping? In resistance mode, I have also noticed that, for the same virtual gear, over a number of intervals I have needed to increase pedal rpm in order to maintain the same power on each interval, which does not seem right.

My understanding (bike comes friday) belt is toothed, so I doubt it is slipping. But the hum, and thrumming feel, sounds like the belt tension is to high.

To update this thread. Stages has been awesome customer service. and I have not even gotten the bike here. they called cause I ordered an outside bike tablet holder (some reason I thought bike didn't come with one, and then ordered wrong one) they gave me a shipping label to return it when it gets here. Then the steal came out $1499 plus 1yr Zwift, about 30 min after I got off phone with them. I called back, the refunded me the difference (forgot tax but I can live with that) and sent me the code for 2yr Zwift. So they have me as a Stages fan, and I don't have the bike yet.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next