Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stack and Reach Tables
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions...

1) How do you measure your stack and reach?
2) The link seems to be dead...is it archived somewhere?

I searched, but you can imagine how many times stack and reach came up...

Thanks,
Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [TrisREffingHard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/
works for me

stack is pretty. for the frame, measure from the top of head tube to the floor. then measure from the BB center to the floor. subtract and you have stack. Do the same from your elbow pads to get your body stack

reach I think you need to hang a plumb bob down to the center of the BB and measure from the string to the center of the top of the head tube. or for your elbow reach, all the way to your elbows.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/
works for me

stack is pretty. for the frame, measure from the top of head tube to the floor. then measure from the BB center to the floor. subtract and you have stack. Do the same from your elbow pads to get your body stack

reach I think you need to hang a plumb bob down to the center of the BB and measure from the string to the center of the top of the head tube. or for your elbow reach, all the way to your elbows.

Yeah, the link is still dead for me...

I'm assuming that in order to measure your stack and reach (according to how you outlined it above), you'd need to have a good fit on your current bike? If not, and I know fit is the key, how do you know which bikes will work for your stack and reach if not known? Or is this like asking "Which came first, the chicken or egg?"

Thanks,
Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah so ideally you would want to experiment, or have a pro fit you, on your current bike until you find a position that you are pretty sure is the one you want. using stems and spacers you will probably be able to do that.

once you get there, you will know what stack and reach is to your elbows, and you will know the stack and reach of your current frame.

*ideally* you will have a flat stem of normal length and no spacers and a really nice aerobar getting you in your position.

So you look for a frame where you won't need a huge stack of spacers, or crazy adjustable aerobar to get your elbows where you want them.

Don't be too picky though, if you find for instance that you need 3cm of spacers to fit on a P4, but a slice would require none at all...still get the p4! (as an example)

for example fitting my wife we started with a cheaper bike and she spent a season using it and figuring out a position she liked. it required a really upturned stem on that bike. So then you just measure from the top of the head tube the vertical and horizontal distance to the end of the stem. You want a frame that will let you use few spacers and a flat stem to get there.

In her case we opted for a 56 P2. No spacers, but she does have to use a pretty short stem still. No way to avoid that without sacrificing DOZENS of grams of drag =)

try a different browser maybe for the stack/reach link?

Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 22, 12 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that link used to work for me as well, it no longer does. I don't know why, seems several folks have had this issue of late
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this by slowman:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3106780;search_string=201%20poll;#3106780

And then read this

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3108442;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

mike@wahoo wrote:
And then read this

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3108442;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;[/quote]

Thanks for those links!

And, I guess I need to "upgrade" from IE. Been needing a reason to go to chrome anyway...

Thanks,
Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All very complicated.

A lot of people save themselves a lot of time and trouble by simply heading down to their local bike store who, magically, will not only have the make and model that matches your body but will also have the exact size you need without needing to take any measurements at all.

Many of the staff there will also have a vast amount of knowledge about fitting you to the bike by carefully lowering or raising the seat by an inch at a time and then standing back with furrowed brow. Once you have spun on their indoor trainer for approximately 15 seconds and you hear the words "That's about right" you know it's been a success. There also seems to be a correlation between the amount of time the bike has been in stock and how perfect it is for you so be sure to ask for the one that they have been unable to sell.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DING DING DING

Jaymz wrote:
All very complicated.

A lot of people save themselves a lot of time and trouble by simply heading down to their local bike store who, magically, will not only have the make and model that matches your body but will also have the exact size you need without needing to take any measurements at all.

Many of the staff there will also have a vast amount of knowledge about fitting you to the bike by carefully lowering or raising the seat by an inch at a time and then standing back with furrowed brow. Once you have spun on their indoor trainer for approximately 15 seconds and you hear the words "That's about right" you know it's been a success. There also seems to be a correlation between the amount of time the bike has been in stock and how perfect it is for you so be sure to ask for the one that they have been unable to sell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized also has a way to calculate it in their Shiv fit guide. Same principles, etc, but a good, basic explanation too.

http://www.specialized.com/.../SHIVStack-Reach.pdf

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
All very complicated.

This is exactly what I want to avoid! This has happened with both of the current bikes in my stable...well, not really, cause I knew about the size I needed, and I'm comfortable on both, but I don't want to buy my next bike based off of the furrowed brow look...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you are going in the right direction. A FIST bike fit narrows down the bike choice and then you pick the one you like, safe in the knowledge that it's going to be comfortable.

You will still get a furrowed brow but it will be an expression based on combining a mass of data and adjustments rather than based on wondering whether they can get away with selling it to you :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
Well, you are going in the right direction. A FIST bike fit narrows down the bike choice and then you pick the one you like, safe in the knowledge that it's going to be comfortable.

You will still get a furrowed brow but it will be an expression based on combining a mass of data and adjustments rather than based on wondering whether they can get away with selling it to you :)

Well, the problem I have is that there is no FIST or RETUL fitter anywhere remotely close to me...one of the downfalls to living in central Mississippi...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does any part of the stackreach site - the NEW one - work in IE? I'm running it on an emulator without luck. WTF. I hate IE...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does any part of the stackreach site - the NEW one - work in IE? I'm running it on an emulator without luck. WTF. I hate IE...

You probably are already aware of the free online tool, http://validator.w3.org
I ran your stackreach page through the validator and it produced 96 errors and 58 warnings. I'm sure some/most of them are cascading, but nonetheless it induced projectile vomiting.
Have those errors fixed and you might find it works in IE.
At least your odds are better.

Edit: Yes, I'm anal about such things. Most sites generate errors and work fine. Still the validator might point you in the proper direction.
Last edited by: caf0: Feb 22, 12 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The link works in Opera but not in IE
Quote Reply
Re: Stack and Reach Tables [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:
Quote:

You probably are already aware of the free online tool, http://validator.w3.org
I ran your stackreach page through the validator and it produced 96 errors and 58 warnings. I'm sure some/most of them are cascading, but nonetheless it induced projectile vomiting.
Have those errors fixed and you might find it works in IE.
At least your odds are better.

Edit: Yes, I'm anal about such things. Most sites generate errors and work fine. Still the validator might point you in the proper direction.

Fixed. Ironically, it was an error that was W3 did NOT pick up...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rappstar...

It now works in IE.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I guess my real question is this:

Is there anyway for me to know what my stack and reach might be based off of "nothing"? The reason I ask is that I don't have access to either of my bikes right now (I live and work in Iraq) and am trying to narrow down choices of bikes that I would be potentially interested in. My LBS (all of them) in town carries Trek, QR, Guru, Felt, Cervelo, and maybe one or two others...That said, I'm really eyeing the Cannondale Slice or a Scott Plasma, but would have to drive to see either of these. I don't want to make a trip if I don't have to, i.e. neither of these would "fit" me. Also, how do I know if what I could measure on either of my two bikes is "right"...meaning (from an earlier post) if all the "fit" I got is from the furrowed brow look, wouldn't I just be measuring something that isn't necessarily correct? I'm pretty sure I've fallen into the "this bike will fit you just fine" category, not the "I know what the hell I'm doing, and I'm not going to sell you this bike just to sell you this bike" category. I've done 1 HIM and 3-4 sprints on my current tri set up and overall, felt comfortable...maybe I'm overanalyzing this too much???

Thanks,
Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have a tri bike that your liked your position on.

and a picture of it, or remember the size and components

then you could figure out your stack and reach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure this is the setup I rode in KS 70.3 in 2010...

But it may have been this...

Thinking more along the lines of the second one now...And, I know there's some cool web app that will calculate all this for me, but I don't know what it is. And, before anyone goes about giving me constructive criticism on the fit, just remember that I'm not there at my bike (it's 8200 miles away), so any "corrections" I would need to make would have to be done in May (at the earliest).

Thanks,

Kevin

**Edit**, while not a perfect pic of my roadie, here it is...only thing different is the bars, not a change anywhere else...

Last edited by: TrisREffingHard: Feb 23, 12 10:20
Quote Reply